Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Crude & Agri commodities
 The Equity Desk Forum :Economy, Markets and commodities :Commodities - Gurus call it the best hedge in current times :Crude & Agri commodities
Message Icon Topic: Life with crude at US $100 and above!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 65 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: Life with crude at US $100 and above!!!
    Posted: 28/Jul/2006 at 12:51pm

Life with crude at US $100 and above!!!

The best way is to buy crude futures and roll it over. But as we all know this cannot be done since only the experts can be lucky making money through trading. Before we look at what things to but let us analyze why crude will hit US $ 100 or more as we are now contemplating.

China today consumes 1.7 barrels of oil per person and looking at the way the economic superpower of the 21st century is adding to its demand for energy guzzling goods this figure is bound to go up many fold in the next decade and half. The car population in China is now twice of what it was in 2002 and up tenfold since 1994! India has a per capita oil consumption of only 0.7 barrels. By comparison Mexico consumes annually about 7 barrels of oil per capita and the entire Latin American continent around 4.5 barrels. In 1965 South Koreans used one barrel of oil per person by 1990, they scaled it up to 16 barrels per person. From 1950 to 1970, Japan went from one barrel to 17 barrels per person. And from 1900 to 1970, the U.S. went from one barrel to 28 barrels per person. Even if India and China were to come anywhere near these per capita oil consumption figures the business channels will have much to report and the oil consumers as much to regret.

Will Uncle Sam come to the rescue? It is clear that the US is aware of the repercussions of a rising crude. Their adventure in the Middle East is a substantial testimony to this. World over the US administration's strategic reserves have attracted quite an attention. What if the US decides to sell oil from its strategic reserve, which currently exceeds 630 million barrels? Marc Faber the eternal bull on commodities and crude opines “to sell daily 2 million barrels into the market amounting in total to 120 million barrels over a two month period would be an option if prices continued to soar". Also, since Chinese oil imports were up so far in 2004 by more than 40%, he suspects that some inventory accumulation has also occurred in the Middle Kingdom. He adds further "if the Chinese suddenly decided to curtail their oil imports the same way they stopped buying soybeans in March 2004 - an event which led to an almost 50% decline in that commodity - prices could come under some near term violent pressure". However this release of US oil reserves would in the longer term be bullish for oil since a supply overhang would have been reduced. As they say markets would do what they want to.

Here readers should distinguish that while in the early 1970's crude rose in the backdrop of slackening supply primarily instigated by the OPEC cutting production while the current oil rally is purely a function of increased demand. Faber calls the 1970s oil shock as "event driven" and today's oil price increase as being "structural in nature". Moreover since the US dollar is expected to depreciate against a basket of currencies a significant part of the rise in crude would be to offset the loss in the value of the dollar as the oil producers would like to be compensated more to make up for the rise in their local currency.

Supply constraints : On the other hand the possibility of pushing the total global oil production at above the current production levels of 80 million barrels per day is also remote. Records reflect that no major oil field has been discovered since 1965 and going by pure demand and supply logic the world seems to be running out of gas - literally.

Sectors to watch out for : A higher crude will surely benefit the two-wheeler companies. While people would not stop commuting their mode of transport would never the less be affected. A very high percentage of car buyers are the ones who graduate from the two-wheeler segments and these people would prefer riding their way to work rather pay up on rising crude.

While the oil marketing companies because of their inability to pass on increased cost to the consumers would bleed the oil producing (ONGC) and exploring companies (HOEL & Alphageo) would surely benefit. In the great California Gold rush people who chose to sell pick axes and shovels made fortune. Locating Gold was not certain but it was certainly important to buy tools if you wanted to look for Gold. Alphageo and HOEL fall into this category of satocks.

Check out for shipping companies like Mercator lines and GE shipping that own VLCC (very large crude carriers) as there would be increased demand for the additional crude to be transported from the producing to consuming centers. While crude will be explored so would the demand for its substitutes. Here one could take a look at Praj Industries and a host of sugar companies that manufacture ethanol a product that can be mixed up to 5% with diesel.

The real trick is not as much as to exit the losers as that would be done any way but to identify the winners since the smart money would chase those stocks. Most of us are still remain unperturbed by the rise in crude. As a friend of mine remarked "how does it matter I used to get my tank filled for Rs 200 prior to the rise and now also I continue to pay the same amount". Since we are a bit clever then that taking a long-term view on crude is certainly the need of the hour.

Any further ideas to hedge your car!!!

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 7:08pm

Those who dont know still....

CHEVRON is being reported to have discovered significant Oil IN GULF OF MEXICO..... Note this is a very deep water discovery.
This is completely in line with my earlier reply to Vijay Sukhani else where on the forum

Here are the links...

Reactions...
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 7:17pm
That seems very interesting. If we have a few more of these then all that talk of US $ 100 and above goes down the "deep sea".

Edited by basant - 05/Sep/2006 at 7:20pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 7:23pm
Absolutely....
But the Cost of extraction of the crude would be in the $35--$40 Range. So That could potentially become the major bottom for Crude....
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 8:05pm
Like interest rates its impossible to predict the price of oil except by gut feeling and reality may be quite different all the same,I feel.A month back I just read on and read on about it from various  good sources and my gut feeling(wishful thinking?)is/was its headed down except for supply shocks.There is a lot of oil out there especially in Venezuela -technology to extract may improve over a longer time horizon-and some other sources which will come in at higher levels and most of the oil as few generally know comes from inefficient state-run companies and there is the possiblity that efiiciency may improve.(or is it the other way round?).Russia,a major supplier may enhance production.China is planning to cut oil useage and they are pretty good at achieving targets.India consumed less oil last year inspite of high GDP growth.Oil above 100 dollars would mean people in advanced countries would waste less money on private transportation(a major user of oil) and a recession might flush out the excess demand which caused the price rise which scenario assumes a temporary rise.

Edited by Ajith - 05/Sep/2006 at 8:20pm
Ajith
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 8:58pm
Hardly anybody knows that for last 2 months Russia not Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producer in the world like every thing crude also has lot of speculation and I see crude at atleast $58 first then to $100, it is easier to say now you will but I said it at when oil was at $77, and I bought IOC at that time at Rs. 360, but one thing is for sure next round of bull ride will take it upto $ 100 but that is atleast in my mind atleast year or maybe year and half away but for crude you never know because it has lot of variable that affect its movement, but one thing is for sure that only demand alone will not take it upto $100 it has to be backed by lot of other varialbles which know one is sure of or can be sure off, for now crude is heading for sub $50`s.

Regards,

Reetesh.
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 05/Sep/2006 at 10:29pm
 When I posted my views on oil I had not heard the news on the oil discovery  today and the subsequent price crash;I must have sounded wise after the event.
  My only worry a month back was if oil went up from 77 dollars the stock markets would crash.

Edited by Ajith - 05/Sep/2006 at 10:29pm
Ajith
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 06/Sep/2006 at 8:16pm

Here is another link for those intrested in the complete analyssi of the oil find. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060905.wgulff0905/BNStory/Business/home

That discovery could be very good for oil rigs companys.
The crude bulls will call for refining capacity.... but Saudi Aramco has been importing oil to refine and they are coming up with 5 new refineries in a couple of years.

Edited by BubbleVision - 06/Sep/2006 at 8:19pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 65 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version