Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Kaushal's Financial Plan Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
kaushalchawla

Online Status: Offline
Quote kaushalchawla Replybullet Topic: Kaushal's Financial Plan
    Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 9:58pm

Hi,

I am 26-27 year old and i have given / studied a lot on planning my retirement. The best option is to purchase a ELSS + SIP kind of plan from a reputed MF house. Depending on one's income, one could choose a plan of 1K to 4K per month. And as one progresses ahead in life, gets to do more saving, one can move extra saving to other options of debt/property etc.

Please comment if this plan looks good, as its important to have a good retirement plan.

As it is said, Ant bhala tau sab bhala.

Thanks.
Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 10:23pm

Kaushal jee, you yourself say that "Depending on one's income...".

So, nothing can be said unless you share what are your current monthly expenses(including all bills, grocery, house tax etc. etc.) and when you shall retire?

The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by kaushalchawla

Hi,

I am 26-27 year old and i have given / studied a lot on planning my retirement. The best option is to purchase a ELSS + SIP kind of plan from a reputed MF house. Depending on one's income, one could choose a plan of 1K to 4K per month. And as one progresses ahead in life, gets to do more saving, one can move extra saving to other options of debt/property etc.

Please comment if this plan looks good, as its important to have a good retirement plan.

As it is said, Ant bhala tau sab bhala.

Thanks.

A few questions:

1) When do you want to retire
2) At today's prices what kind of monthly expenditure do you envisage at the time of retirement.
3)ANy other big expenditure you plan for children's exp/marriage etc. Please quantify in terms of today's prices and the age of children if any.
4) We will assume that you have little or no savings at this point in time so that you can maintain your privacy.

We can start discussing this OM you have done a great initiative!!!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 10:42pm
I know sir...all I was waiting for was someone to ask a question...rest everything shall follow. Things seem impossible to control, until we start discussing them. Except Time, rest all we can control....Go for it Kaushal ji.

And thanks to TED Basant sir, not me. In Kulman jee's words, we all are just the postman.

Btw, Kaushal jee seems offline & wow, look at the active users' list...guests bharpoor! And majority of them reading Nucleus? That's a first. Kisne refer kiya hmmmm!!!!

Bhaiyyo register kar lo for your own sake hehe Wink

Edited by omshivaya - 22/Apr/2007 at 10:48pm
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
kaushalchawla

Quote kaushalchawla Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 11:26pm

Om ji & Basant ji,

The ELSS + SIP plan that i had written about was only aimed for retirement. It does not cover for Children's education and marriage.

I have decided for myself a 2.5K a month Plan and i m planning my retirement at 51 yrs of age, a distant 24 year from now. At 18% p.a. over 24 years of years, i expect around 90-100 lakhs. From this amount, i assume, i can get 75-100% of my post-retirement monthly expenses.

Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 11:31pm
Kaushal ji,

Didn't get all your answers. At 51 you are retiring, so 24 years from hereon.

What is your current expenditure monthly(In Rs.) on which you can live comfortably, that is pay off all your bills, household items like food etc.  and live comfortably?

IP IP Logged
kaushalchawla

Quote kaushalchawla Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 11:48pm
My Current expenditure is 12500 and my sav around 5K. My 12.5K of current expenses will become 10K on retirement.
Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 22/Apr/2007 at 11:50pm

If you want to maintain the same lifestyle which comes from earning 12,500 rupees a mnth(in today's rate), you would need approximately:

1) 59,000+ rupees approx. a month 24 years from hereon to maintain that same lifestyle as 12.5K fetches you right now, assuming inflation rate(on the safe side) to be 7%.

3) Your current 12.5K a month would be worth only around Rs. 3,900 a month 24 years from here on, assuming even 5% inflation.

Now, assuming you do indeed get 100 lac rupees at the age of 51, so let's see what happens after that, assuming you have a pretty healthy life and live till 90, that 39 years after that.

1) We assume first that your corpus would earn you 10% return even on that 120 lac till age 90, that is for a whole 39 years.

2) We would assume inflation at 7% as usual.

By my calculations, between 51 and 71 yrs. of age, you would do fine BUT your whole corpus of money would be over, even if it earning 10% rate of interest afte 71 years of age. You would in zero cash and go into the negative. At that old age, where will you turn to with nothing left!!

The main problem that I feel here is this: 100 lacs seems a lot to you, but its actual value over 24 years would reduce to approximately 30-32 lacs rupees worth in today's rate, considering an inflation of even 5%. 30-32 lac rupees is only good enuff to get a 3-bedroom flat n today's rate and you need to maintain a lifestyle as as today for 39 years between 51 and 90!!!!

YOUR CURRENT EXPENSE...If it is 12,500 rupees a month in today's rupees, the path currently needs to be fine-tuned as per me. You need an a super-aggressive(high-risk high-reward) portfolio and find means to get more cash to put into equity. Your savings are not worth keeping in savings. If you have property etc., then at old age you can also go into: "Reverse Mortgage".

Let others provide their detailed views and let's see what can be done. Nothing is impossible!

Edited by omshivaya - 22/Apr/2007 at 12:18pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version