Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: A Value Investor's Style of Thinking... Post Reply Post New Topic
Vivek Sukhani

Online Status: Offline
Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Topic: A Value Investor's Style of Thinking...
    Posted: 26/Mar/2007 at 11:35am
 Todd Sullivan is a value investor who writes the ValuePlays blog. ValuePlays is a value investing site focusing on individual stock analysis, investing concepts, and market commentary.

Visit ValuePlays

1. Are you a value investor?

Yes.

2. What is value investing?

Purchasing a piece of a company at a price that is below a reasonable valuation.

3. What is your approach to investing?

Look for the current "red headed step children" and pick out the gems.

4. How do you evaluate a stock?

I look for industry leading companies who:

- Have a valuation that is equal to or at a small premium to other shares with a comparable earnings growth rate.

- Have a total return yield greater than the current corp. bond rates.

- Are buying back shares.

- Are increasing the dividend.

- And are increasing cash flow from operations.

All that takes about 20 minutes, if it passes those tests, I begin to dig deeper into SEC filings, annual reports, etc. Earnings call transcripts on Seeking Alpha recently have been providing me a ton of insight, not necessarily for the details, but the general "tone" of management.

5. Why do you buy a stock?

To own a piece of a company.

6. Why do you sell a stock?

The business deteriorates or its valuation becomes irrationally high.

7. What investment decision are you most proud of?

MO at the height of the litigation woes in 2003 and MCD during the "mad cow" scare of Jan 2003.

8. What investment decision do you most regret?

Selling USG in June of that year.

9. Why do you blog?

I love the market and love to write. It also makes me a better investor by forcing more detailed analysis and making me stick to my guns.

10. What's your best post?

Did Starbucks' CEO Really Say That?

Picked up in the WSJ Online

11. What's your worst post?

What Will Sears Holding Do With All That Cash? Just guess work. Of course if I turn out right, pure genius. :)

12. What financial publications do you read?

WSJ, Barons.

13. What investing blogs do you read?

Value Investing News, The Stockmasters, Seeking Alpha, Fat Pitch, Gannon, Peridot, Interactive Investor.

14. What's the best investment book you've read?

"Buffett: The Making Of An American Capitalist"

15. What's the last investment book you've read?

"The Intelligent Investor" - I try to read it at least once a year.

16. When did you start investing?

At 19. I've always loved the idea of being able to buy a piece of a company and "go along for the ride".

17. How have you improved as an investor?

One word: Patience.

18. How do you need to improve as an investor?

Believe in my choices more, my biggest mistakes have not been picking the wrong companies but getting out too soon or not buying at all because I doubted my reasoning.... (see USG, CHD).

19. Where are the bargains in today's market?

I am sky high on Owens Corning (OC)... SHLD: Eddie Lampert + $4 billion in the bank.

20. What's the most interesting company we haven't heard of?

Based on its small float and daily volume, Owens Corning. It is a leader in all its product categories, fresh off asbestos bankruptcy and just posted strong results despite the housing market and a benign hurricane season. When things turn around in those areas, they take off. Trades at about 6 times earnings.

----------------------------------------------------

Although, such interviews appear common, but still its an alternate style of investment management and hence I beleive also merits understanding.
IP IP Logged
shareen222

Quote shareen222 Replybullet Posted: 16/Nov/2009 at 9:06am

If you have read much about Warren Buffett, you know that he is held up as a Ben Graham disciple and is considered one of the most famous value investors in the world. Buffett admits that he has moved away from value investing, while still keeping some of its principles (most notably margin of safety) as part of his investing framework. Still, people primarily associate Buffett with value investing.

While reading this year's annual report, I noticed something interesting. "Goodwill and other intangibles" represents 13.3 billion of Berskhire's 34 billion in assets. Buffett comments on this by saying:

So Buffett buys businesses at large premiums to net worth? Doesn't sound like value investing to me.

Value investors use many different approaches. Some value a company based on what they could get for the assets in a fire sale, and look to buy the stock at a price below that. On the other end of the spectrum, some will attempt to calculate what a strategic acquirer might be willing to pay, and try to buy below that. The numbers you get from the first calculation and the second calculation can be dramatically different, but if you seek to buy below your calculated number, you can (loosely) be considered a value investor.

Edited by basant - 16/Nov/2009 at 9:15am
IP IP Logged
loose111

Quote loose111 Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2010 at 7:05pm

Those of you intimately familiar with accounting know that accounting for intangibles is a controversial area. Certainly Buffett could still be a value investor if he is picking up mega-brands at a premium to net assets that are really a good deal. As an example – if you could buy the Coca-Cola trademark for $10 million, that would be a steal, even though you would carry it on your books as an intangible. But many value investors totally ignore intangible assets when they calculate intrinsic value. (I think that's a mistake – but it's a whole post in and of itself)

=============
clothes line
Bathrooms

IP IP Logged
values

Quote values Replybullet Posted: 23/May/2011 at 2:56pm

Putting Together a Value Investing Portfolio Like Bill Ruane (WB's Recommended Fund Manager to his Investors In 1969)

To begin putting together a value investing portfolio modeled after the style of Bill Ruane, look for for the following things:

• Get value wherever you can, meaning invest in both domestic stocks and international stocks.
  • You want strength on the balance sheet.  Value investing is about minimizing the downside and assets can help do that in the event something goes wrong.
  • Strong earnings for shareholders are important because it’s this cash that funds share repurchases, dividends, or expansion of the core, profitable business.
  • If stocks are expensive, park your money in U.S. Treasury bills.  Don’t think you must be invested at all times if stocks appear overvalued.
  • Never try to time the market.  If you find good value, buy it.  Your shares may fall another 30% or 50%.  If you were correct in your valuation, buy more.  You cannot know what the market will do today, tomorrow, or two years from now.  You can be fairly certain what it will do twenty years from now.  That needs to be your focus.
  • Look for companies with little or no debt that “generate enough free cash flow to be self-funding.  That is, they do not need to tap the capital markets to finance future grwoth or fund current operations.  That does not mean [they] will weather recession easily, but the ability to self-finance mitigates risk.”
  • Know your exposure.  Are your stocks dependent upon consumer spending?  Business spending?  Are they necessities?  Knowing the answer to this question will allow you to better assess your risks when a crisis hits the market, which it inevitably will.
Knowledge is power!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version