Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Long term stock warrants could be big multibaggers Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 18 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: Long term stock warrants could be big multibaggers
    Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 11:29pm

Long term stock warrants could be big multibaggers

As part of my investing strategy one thing that I keep a close vigil on is to be on a look out long term warrants that any of the companies that I hold issues. Typically 4-5 year equity warrants are multibaggers in their own ways. I would explain this concept with the help of an example relating to the Trent 2010 warrants.

Now this specific warrant states that in 2010 (or earlier in case of rights issue) the warrant holders shall have the right to convert their warrants into equity for Rs 650 per share. This warrant trades very thinly and I did buy quite a few in July and August near to Rs 210 levels. The trading was and continues to remain very thin and I had to put in several days to get some decent quantity.

Now assuming that Trent would show an EPS growth of 35% the 2010 EPS for the company should be Rs 67.00. If the market were to discount that by 30 times the stock would trade at Rs 2000 in the year 2010. Here comes the effect of the warrant:

Trent Equity

Trent Warrant

Price

Rs 880

Rs 280

EPS in 2006

Rs 20

Rs 20

EPS (2010E)

Rs 67

Rs 67

PE

30 times

30 times

Stock Price

Rs 2000

Rs 2000

Conversion price of warrant

Not Applicable

Rs 650 per share

Net Realizable value

Rs 2000

Rs 1350 (Rs 2000-Rs 650)

Upside Potential per instrument

Rs 1120 (Rs 2000 - Rs880)

Rs 1070 (Rs 1350-Rs280)

Downside Risk

Rs 880 per share

Rs 280 per share

Percentage Appreciation

127%

382%

Now I have assumed a 35% EPS growth for Trent which is very conservative considering the kind of growth plans the company is into. In case the company does a 40% CAGR in EPS the equation will change into.

Trent Equity

Trent Warrant

Price

Rs 880

Rs 280

EPS in 2006

Rs 20

Rs 20

EPS (2010E)

Rs 77

Rs 77

PE (Higher growth will fetch a higher PE)

35 times

35 times

Stock Price

Rs 2695

Rs 2695

Conversion price of warrant

Not Applicable

Rs 650 per share

Net Realizable value

Rs 2695

Rs 2045 (Rs 2695-Rs 650)

Upside Potential per instrument

Rs 1815 (rS 2695 - Rs 880)

1765 (Rs 2045 - Rs 280)

Downside Risk

Rs 880 per share

Rs 280 per share

Percentage Appreciation

206%

630%

Key Highlights:

1)      The warrant acts as leverage and multiplies the wealth by more then 3 times compared to the original stock.

2)      Higher the company growth higher the gains from the warrant

3)      In this case the warrants are covered in case the company comes out with Bonus/Splits.

4)      The only threat is if the company comes out with a very liberal Rights issue at a very cheap price (nearer to face value). This will reduce the market price of the share (Ex-Rights) without affecting the warrant conversion price.

5)      In case of (4) above warrant holders have the right to exercise premature conversion of warrant into equity share.

6)       In case of (4) above the returns could be affected to some extent.

7)      Warrant holders will not get any dividends which we will ignore since the yield is not that high for Trent..

8)      The promoters hold warrants in their capacity so they would not do anything to adversely jeopardize the interest of the warrant holders.

9)      Most importantly one has to be bullish on the original stock.Higher the intrinsic value (Price of Stock - Rs 650) in the price of the warrant higher would be the margin of safety.

Overall all companies do keep issuing warrants from time to time and serious long term investors should make a bid for those warrants and pick them up. Some years back Tata Motors issued some warrants and at that time I did not know that these warrants were could be such significant instruments of wealth creation.

Conclusion: In Trent’s case the Present value of the conversion price of each warrant Rs 650 for a little more then 3 years (early 2010) @ 8.5% interest works out to Rs 500.

Therefore the easiest way to see whether the price on the screen makes sense is to deduct Rs 500 from the market price. For instance if the market price is Rs 880 the price of the warrant should be Rs 880 – Rs 500 = Rs 380. The margin of safety is the discount to this price that the warrant is bought at finally. The present Rights issue announced by the company should set the price back by Rs 50 so we may deduct that from Rs 380. That leaves us with Rs 330 as the fair value of the warrant as on date.

Edited by basant - 28/Oct/2006 at 6:21pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Equity Buff

Quote Equity Buff Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 9:26am

Basantjee,

Very interesting write up on warrants. I if wanted to buy these Trent warrants can I buy it through by broker ? Which exchange are they traded in and what is the price of the warrant today?

Anyprice below Rs. 330 per warrant will be a gooid price ? The lower this price the better as more margin of safety ?

Would like to buy these warrants can you inform how to go about it.

Thanks.

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 9:39am
You could buy these from your broket at NSE and BSE. AT the NSE they are traded under the symbol of Trent series W1. The spreads are very very big so you need to be patient and just buy a few each day since there is no point jumping in.Try and get it around Rs 300 and lower.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 10:51am

Hmm! Very very interesting indeed Basant ji. Query?

I just want to clear up one thing again. If the conversion price is 650 bucks(in cae of Trent), then there is no downside risk. Meaning if I invested at let us say 380 bucks today, even if the market crashes and let's say the equity share price in the market in 2010 is a 440 bucks, even then I would get a price of 650 bucks on each of my Trent warrant. So there is no downside risk. I would get 650 bucks a piece no matter what, in 2010.

2nd question: When I convert the warrants in 2010, is that fully tax free. I mean does it come under the "no long-term capital gains tax" bracket. I am thinking of this as a good replacement for any FD, if it is tax-free.

3rd question: Can I exercise the warrant anytime between when I purchase them and 2010? What would the conversion price be when let's say I buy at 380 now and have an urgent need and want to convert a few warrants 1 year from now?

4th question: Usually what kind of annual yields does warrants bring with them? What has been the maximum annual warrant yield that a company has issued a warrant at and which was that company(of all the warrants that you have knowledge of)?

5th question: In case Trent issues bonus shares of 1:1, then would my warrant purchase price also become half and number of warrants double?

6th question: In case Trent splits its stock, would by warrant numbers also double?

Last question: Why do companies come out with such warrants and are the warrants usually priced at a premium to the share market price and what how much of a premium usuallly?

Thanks a bunch for bringing to our knowledge such a tool of wealth!

Edited by omshivaya - 18/Oct/2006 at 11:02am
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 10:54am
even if the market crashes and let's say the equity share price in the market in 2010 is a 440 bucks, even then I would get a price of 650 bucks on each of my Trent warrant. So there is no downside risk. I would get 650 bucks a piece no matter what, in 2010.

You will not get Rs 650 per warrant but the warrant on payment of Rs 650 will become a share.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 11:26am
I think I got it(re-read your 1st post again many times over). I still have one small doubt. I am not able to understand how a bonus affects the warrant price. If bonus of 1;1 is issued(1 for every 1 share), then will my warrant numbers also double?

Nowadays lots of companies issue bonuses, so that is a major worry. Also, if Pantaloon comes out with a warrant now, is it advisable to take it(cnsidering it is doing for a split)?
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 11:35am
This is what I wrote "warrants are covered in case the company comes out with Bonus/Splits"

So split/bonus will not affect the warrant since the number of warrants will go up..
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2006 at 11:40am
Allright! Excellent Basant ji.warrants seem an xcellent idea. How do we get to know what are the warrnts issue sas of now on NSE and can we buy the straight off from our NSE online thru our broker(HDFC for instance)?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 18 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version