Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Large Cap Blue Chips
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Large Cap Blue Chips
Message Icon Topic: IT Companies - at crossroads Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
manish_okhade

Online Status: Offline
Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Topic: IT Companies - at crossroads
    Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 4:28pm
I spent my 15 years in the indian IT sector. When i read the various blogs then i find a very emphatic case for domestic IT companies like INFY, TCS etc. But my views are different, let me hold them for sometime.

These companies in the past made Indian middle class proud. These players leveraged vast Indian talent to their benefit [and all] which no company has across the world done. This business is not much different than what a contractor does with labors in manufacturing sector. But nobody thought that such simple business model could be such a big game plan. It has given the opportunity to many Ivy League professors to write wonderful case studies.

In year 1995 onward IT or outsourcing was a game changer for the world. Earlier white and rich class was happy to outsource dirty manufacturing to third world. But when they saw that white collar work and RnD kinda stuff is too moving out they it took them off but business benefits crushed the sentimental or emotional logic.

So needless to say and repeat that things were rosy till 2008. In past few years many things have changed which outsiders [analyst who never worked in IT] are still unable to judge:

1) Leadership crisis - The leader generation who has determinedly driven the business is either retiring or retired. IT Service business is such type that it requires excellent leadership skills which is anything but rare to find. As on date we are clearly seeing the lack of luminary leadership in major players.

2) People factor - Go to any good campus, all top players join the companies but big daddies of IT. So due to lack of better offerings as compared to others, IT daddies are getting 2nd/3rd rate entry level players. IT companies still hope to see their future CEOs coming from among this new generation!

3) Game Changer - In last few years, developed world is getting many choice in the India. Now IT sector is clearly a buyers market. Pricing power is the last thing to hope for. So there is no monopoly left in this business. Unlisted MNCs like IBM, COGNIZANT, ACCENTURE etc have opened their shop to offer intense competition.   

4) Yes Mr. President! - Political leaders are discouraging the outsourcing. VISA regime is is getting tougher. Populist measures are slowly gaining favor.

If one looks at the annual results for last few years then clearly they are not cheering. Clearly old ways of doing business does not look adequate. Though its good that IT players are just realizing it but still a lot of inertia is visible to make the necessary changes. Sooner it happens better for all.

My guess is that, out of 3 biggies one will take the risk and if it looks working profitably then all others will copy it efficiently. This development is something to be watched as an Investor and till it happens better to read forceful analyst reports as a fiction novel and have some fun in boring life .

Edited by manish_okhade - 14/Jan/2012 at 4:39pm
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 8:38pm
Manishji, I agree with most of your points. I have some disagreements.

Leadership problems are artificially created. Look at TCS they have handled well but Wipro, Infy have faltered and reason is same for both promoters kept their control of the management for too long. Problems in Infy would get resolved only when some of the sleepy promoters in the top mgmt. opt to exit.
Margins - Some Indian IT cos (e.g. INFY) have taken it as birth right to maintain margin in perpetuity. IBM works on 10% margin and ask any IBM employee he would be very happy with work-life balance. There is writing on the wall, margins would contract ultimately when they achieve very large size.

I read some old Gartner report where they had mentioned that total IT spend worldwide is $2 trillion including in house/outsourced. Indian export is just touching $75bn so we have only scratched the surface.
My biggest worry about Indian IT is how would they generate non-linear revenue because the current rate of hiring will make them surpass Indian Railway one day!!!
These guys would talk about consulting business which is supposed to be scalable,high margin and sticky in long term has been utter failure until now.
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by FutureBull

Margins - Some Indian IT cos (e.g. INFY) have taken it as birth right to maintain margin in perpetuity.

Couldn't agree anymore but it will lead to de-rating. Point is that analyst are still painting rosy picture for INFY. What surprises me is that even Basantji looks fine with high PE of INFY .

Edited by manish_okhade - 14/Jan/2012 at 8:43pm
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by FutureBull

These guys would talk about consulting business which is supposed to be scalable,high margin and sticky in long term has been utter failure until now.

Thats why i say its on crossroad! Old promoters are still trying to drive business in old ways. New fresh approach is needed to eat up 2 trillion USD pie.
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 10:54pm
Ultimately as Cognizant founder that IT is nothing but a play on demographic dividend of India.

India does has the best demographic profile among all countries for next 20 years.Further computing is getting miniaturised with every passing years & its usage is entering into all the areas so far untouched like smartcity etc.

As long as India has the worlds steadiest supply of coders thanks to its young population Indian IT companies performance will remain strong.Yes they may have to compromise with margins but they should remain fancied cos.See Cognizant.
Share market is nothing but a game of temperament. Success mantra Right Price,Right Business,Patience, Conviction .Do not do panic buying or selling.It may be the only profession where inactivity pays
IP IP Logged
jagavet56
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jagavet56 Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 5:25am
Interesting points. I would like to add few things in addition to the above. Currently western world are in deleveraging mode and this period will have 2 opposite effects on Indian IT.

On the positive side, the strengthening of the dollar will continue due to the risk-averse factor of investors and uncertain mode by which deleveraging will happen. This adds to the better realization of dollar profits earned by IT guys.
On the negative side, due to the deleveraging, financial sector in the western world would shrink and this will affect their BFSI vertical very hard (and everyone knows this vertical is the money spinner for IT biggies in recent years).

So in my opinion , like points above many positives and negatives will emerge for the IT companies along the journey and it is company with clear leadership, inherently stronger with good internal process and better innovating one will emerge as winner.

As Rajiv bajaj said,“I am believer in homeopathy.  Hence I believe, environment is never quite as inimical as it is made out. It is one’s internal susceptibility to what happens outside that causes problems. Companies that are stronger from within like individual who are stronger from within, can ride over the problem outside. If you are fundamentally weaker, then I think the slightest hiccup from outside can cause big upheavel. It is more of the reflection of the inside stuff. If the company is inherently stronger, it will adapt and evolve with the market environment".

So lets watch how the movie unfolds Smile

Edited by jagavet56 - 14/Jan/2012 at 5:26am
IP IP Logged
Kautilya

Quote Kautilya Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 7:01am
Originally posted by jagavet56

On the negative side, due to the deleveraging, financial sector in the western world would shrink and this will affect their BFSI vertical very hard (and everyone knows this vertical is the money spinner for IT biggies in recent years).

This line of argument is a bit far fetched and in my opinion degrowth in large banks are forcing them to cut costs which is benefiting IT vendors. In the last 2 years I have seen two big banks cut jobs in locations like NY/Singapore/London/Tokyo and move them to Pune. The trend is clear, and it is likely to remain like that for some more time. Risks are large banks going down, and increased competition among IT vendors.
My indecision is final.
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2012 at 8:59am
I am seeing bit digression on various posts. What we are trying to figure out that whether indian IT companies in current shape deserve to have high PE?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version