Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: EVA Momentum - a new fooolproof metric by Bennett Post Reply Post New Topic
bharti

Online Status: Offline
Quote bharti Replybullet Topic: EVA Momentum - a new fooolproof metric by Bennett
    Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 11:47pm

I just read about a new metric "EVA momentum" and wanted to share and know opinion from all and how it correlates to our top picks like Titan, Blue Star, Hawkins, Page, HDFC etc..

In business as in life, be careful what you wish for. I know a company that wished for a better return on equity. What could be wrong with that? It paid its executives according to that measure, and man, did they deliver. In some years the firm had the best ROE in its industry. It was winning bigtime.

The firm was Lehman Brothers, now dead because managing for ROE caused executives to overborrow; after all, debt is capital that earns a return (in good times). Yet it isn't equity, so extreme leverage simply juices ROE until bad times arrive. Wishing for the wrong thing -- managing for the wrong ratio -- killed the company.

The larger, chilling reality is that every other ratio out there can lead to the same disaster. Gross margin? Earnings per share? It's easy to make any of them look better while damaging the business.

Which is why a new ratio that you've never heard of, EVA momentum, is so intriguing. It has been developed by consultant Bennett Stewart, one of the creators (with Joel Stern) of the measure called economic value added, or EVA.

Now used by myriad firms, including Siemens (SI), Best Buy (BBY, Fortune 500), and Herman Miller (MLHR), EVA is essentially profit after deducting an appropriate charge for all the capital in the business. Because it accounts for all capital costs, its proponents say, EVA is the best measure of value creation.

Now Stewart is making a bold claim about his latest idea: EVA momentum, he says, is the one ratio that can't be manipulated. "It's the only percent metric where more is always better than less," he says. "It always increases when managers do things that make economic sense." If he's right, it is worth knowing about -- for managers at every level and for investors.

EVA momentum is a simple concept.

It's the change in a business's EVA divided by the prior period's sales.

So if a company increases its EVA by $10 million and the prior period's sales were $1 billion, then its EVA momentum is 1%. That's not bad, considering that for most companies this figure is zero or negative, and the average for many companies is generally around zero.

Stewart's firm, EVA Dimensions, has crunched the five-year data for firms with revenues of at least $1 billion. The three top performers by EVA momentum: Gilead Sciences (with an average annual EVA momentum of 24.3%), Google (22.7%), and Apple (12.1%).

It's no surprise to see those names identified as excellent performers; what's interesting is the way they did it. The key insight is that achieving high EVA momentum requires a business to do two difficult things at once. It must grow while at the same time maintaining healthy EVA profit margins or improving poor ones.

Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) and Gilead (GILD, Fortune 500), a biopharmaceutical company, grew spectacularly while also increasing their EVA profit margins impressively; Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) simply maintained an excellent EVA profit margin while growing sales 760% during the five years. That combination of increasing sales and an excellent or improving EVA is the extremely rare basis of great financial performance.

Can this ratio be gamed?

It's hard to see how. A popular gambit of conniving managers is to shrink a ratio's denominator recklessly, which is what Lehman executives did when they cut the E in ROE dangerously low. But the denominator in EVA momentum is the last period's sales, so it's fixed going in. Relentlessly jacking up EVA -- the numerator -- is difficult; a proper calculation of EVA values spending on R&D and employee training, the kinds of long-term investments that help companies over time.

EVA momentum is brand-new -- Fortune is the first to write about it -- and while Stewart has measured it in hundreds of companies, real businesses have yet to apply it. So we don't know what will happen when this ratio confronts actual managers trying to make actual profits. But when a big new idea comes along, adopting it first creates a major advantage. This could be one of those times.

EVA momentum: How to get it right

1. Don't obsess about sales. Managers fixate on how to increase their company's revenues, but if it doesn't boost EVA, it does nothing to create value.

2. Bail out of EVA-negative businesses. Ford's sale of capital-intensive, EVA-sapping Jaguar and Land Rover shrank the company, but in the end increased its value.

3. Annihilate wasted capital. Cutting working capital, as Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) did in 2009, and offloading unproductive assets are great opportunities to build EVA when growth is slow

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 6:29am
But when you are computing EVA aren't you looking at RoE also? So does it mean that high/increasing RoE with increasing sales with get us this EVA momentum?

BTW except HDFC all the companies mentioned above are debt free and we do look at RoCE with RoE to analyze financial and I feel this method (RoE and RoCE) is still one of the best that can be thought about.

Edited by basant - 13/Jan/2010 at 6:29am
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
praveen

Quote praveen Replybullet Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 9:43am

I didn't read the above about EVA but this is how EVA is calculated.

EVA = IC*(ROIC - WACC)

Where IC = Invested capital
ROIC= Return on Invested Capital
WACC = Weighted av. cost of capital

Another variation is that instead of WACC some prefer to have a hurdle rate
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey
IP IP Logged
praveen

Quote praveen Replybullet Posted: 13/Jan/2010 at 9:58am
Just read the above...

Criticisms

1.) Like ROE, EVA can also be increased by leverage as long as your cost of borrowing is low.

2.) Besides the moment you put sales as denominator, it becomes an industry parameter rather than parameter across industries.

Let me explain, all industries which is high turnover - lower margin would reflect poorly on this compared to low turnover - high margin business 

So a Wall-Mart would never show up here.

A better metric would be EVA / (Sales * Capital Turns) 

Edited by praveen - 13/Jan/2010 at 10:01am
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey
IP IP Logged
abhishekbasu

Quote abhishekbasu Replybullet Posted: 14/Jan/2010 at 4:21pm
Somehow, I personally feel that the simplest and best measure to look at any business in RoE and RoCE.

Let me try to explain why I think so in simple terms. If I start a business, I put in some of my capital and take some debt. Now, what matters to me is two things, i) how do I service my debt and ii) the return I generate on my capital.

For point 1, I look at free cashflow. For point 2, I look at RoE. If the RoE of the business is very low I am better of putting my money in fixed deposits!!
I look at RoCE as it gives me a feel of the probable return I can make if I am debt-free. The difference of RoE and RoCE (alongwith free cashflow) would determine the amount of debt I am comfortable taking.

This is for me easy to understand and track in any business. The trick is to look at these ratios over a long term (atleast 5-7 years) to ensure that there is a definite trend visible which can be logically explained.

There is a quotation which I had heard sometime back which went something like this...
"Build something that's foolproof and they invent a better fool." Smile

Edited by abhishekbasu - 14/Jan/2010 at 4:24pm

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version