Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: New ways to value companies? Post Reply Post New Topic
prabhakarkudva

Online Status: Offline
Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Topic: New ways to value companies?
    Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 4:47pm
I would like to have somewhat of a debate around the following question: 'Throughout the years and even from its beginning, haven't we skewed valuation models to satisfy our needs instead of trying to find new ways to value companies?'

Inputs appreciated.
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 5:39pm
as per me, valuation is an art so it has to be learned and practiced but very hard to put a method above other..
i am learning to use "Real Option Pricing" used to evaluate Oil reserves, new innovation etc.
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 6:02pm
my doubt is,why are we still stuck with the same old DCF models when we know they are just garbage in garbage out models.They give us what we want to see.Why havent we worked on building more realistic models that may be incorporate management integrity and a healthy dose of common sense?
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 6:26pm
true they are static models and not at all suitable for a situation when there is no cash flow for forceable future and current trend is to carry out simulation with scenario analysis and planning in corporates for internal valuation exercises.. and get your efficient portfolio zone to take right decisions
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 9:21pm
One model that has worked out well for me is to have a string of valuation parameters for example PE, RoE, P/BV,Div yield, Management, Industry, Sector Leadership etc etcand then plug in the numbers. The model should be self adjusting for example high RoE would mean high Price to book so the company gets more score in the RoE and less in the price to book; high RoE also means high PE generally so that adjusts there, high yield goes with low Price to book but high RoE and high yield cannot go together, a good management will have a high PE and so will a good industry so that balances each other out again  ultimately we have to weight them and then get to a common number using the goal seek fucntion at excel which equates the numbers alloted and scored at a certain price.

Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

my doubt is,why are we still stuck with the same old DCF models when we know they are just garbage in garbage out models.They give us what we want to see.Why havent we worked on building more realistic models that may be incorporate management integrity and a healthy dose of common sense?

Edited by basant - 07/Oct/2009 at 9:22pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2009 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by basant

ultimately we have to weight them and then get to a common number using the goal seek fucntion at excel which equates the numbers alloted and scored at a certain price.

Basantji,can you elaborate this part a little bit.
IP IP Logged
nitin_jagtap

Quote nitin_jagtap Replybullet Posted: 11/Oct/2009 at 3:06pm
One interesting way to value is just use the last 3-4 years Annual reports  and build your best case for the price you want to pay for this stock.

In my opinion in most cases when we arrive at values we are already biased by the ticker price of the stock and then work backwards and do adjustments to somehow arrive at that price or at a price that suits us depending on the market condition .

So without having any clue on what the quoted price of the securtiy is , if one can use a model that suits that one is comfortable with and arrive at a price it would be far more fulfilling and satisfying in the long run. In this excercise my attention would be more on the minimising my downside risk without paying tooo much impotance to the upside potential.
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version