Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: Value Stocks - What to look out for? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
valueman

Online Status: Offline
Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 18/Dec/2007 at 11:28am
Originally posted by smartcat

Valueman, does Index funds interest you? The possibility of 'losing money' is low here, but returns might be higher.

Sure but as I said I do not want to be always tensed and excited about how the index will move and keep putting in and withdrawing my money in and out and timing the market and spending more on brokerages .

From 1990 till date i.e 2007 see for urself how the index moved and how many of us were aware of its movements .If you can predict the movement of index you can very well stay invested in index funds and I am sorry I do not have the skill of predicting the movement of index  and about not loosing money in funds ,ask the people who were invested in UTI in the 90s .

IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 18/Dec/2007 at 11:50am
You two value investors are a rare breed, I can tell you that. Big%20smile

But the concept of 8% minimum returns (through dividend yields) and 25 - 30% maximum returns (through stock price appreciation) is quite interesting and something that I would want to learn more about.

Quick question -

Can't you reproduce the above result with a combination of debt funds and high growth stocks?

Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

that made me confident enough to discontinue with a good post and get purely into investments because I realised that did not want to be employed in making other people richer....I wanted to be rich and was not not interested in helping others. I have turned down so many fund management offers, because if I will use other people's money I will do so at my risk...meaning no profit sharing. Sharing knowledge etc. is okay but no funds.  

This is what drives people into starting a 'business'. The chances of becoming 'rich' by working for others is lower than working for yourself.
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 19/Dec/2007 at 12:00pm

But the concept of 8% minimum returns (through dividend yields) and 25 - 30% maximum returns (through stock price appreciation) is quite interesting and something that I would want to learn more about.

Quick question -

Can't you reproduce the above result with a combination of debt funds and high growth stocks?

Is there any rule that we have to appreciate our wealth in a particular way ?
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 19/Dec/2007 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by smartcat

Quick question -

Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

that made me confident enough to discontinue with a good post and get purely into investments because I realised that did not want to be employed in making other people richer....I wanted to be rich and was not not interested in helping others. I have turned down so many fund management offers, because if I will use other people's money I will do so at my risk...meaning no profit sharing. Sharing knowledge etc. is okay but no funds.  

This is what drives people into starting a 'business'. The chances of becoming 'rich' by working for others is lower than working for yourself.

Anyone who talks different will be rare. If the market will fall by 50 p.c., all and sundry on the street will start barking dividends and that time anyone who talks growth and business model will be rare. The idea is to be a complete opportunist, and judge everything on the basis of protecting your capital. Just price anything thats value or growth, and seize the opportunity and make hay. A growth is buy when it has value and a value is a buy when it is growth. And never bother about temporary underperformance, give the market the time to learn that growth is value and value is growth.

Also one should learn to play with definite variables. Dividend is a very definite variable and hence I have very little difficulty in playing with dividends. You can be reasonable sure of 8 p.c. plus dividend but getting 25 p.c. capital return is a more unpredictable variable.

I will now come to the later part of your question. I think equities give you the opportunity to learn so many businesses. If someone is a serious student, the market is such a beautiful teacher. And trust you me, in case you diversify, you will learn so many things about so many businesses. During initial stages one should try to broadbase so as to learn how to dip toes in the waters before taking the plunge. That learning period is very important.

IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 19/Dec/2007 at 1:49pm

Dear Friends

There is no point in fighting between Value Investing / Growth Investing etc .It is like fighting between being a salaried person and being a self employed businessman . No two persons are alike and it definitely affects the way the go about investing . You can be successful as value investor / growth investor or a pure trader as long as you know what you are doing .An uncle of mine never invested in shares and always put his funds in Bank FDs but he did create wealth through real estate and they were 10 and 20 baggers . An aunt of mine does not know anything about shares or real estate etc but for the past 20 years was accumulating lot of gold whenever its prices were down and has a huge amount of Gold now that she considers as real wealth .Another relative of mine never believes in any form of investing and just trades day in and out and he too created lot of wealth .

I have chosen the path of Buffett in buying good companies at cheap price with good dividend yield and just sitting quietly allowing it to grow itself and creating wealth for me  .I am not obsessed or pertubed in seeing how the market moves day in and day out and I enjoy doing many other things apart from Investing . The reason why I am saying this I am sharing below :

1) A relative  of mine was so obessed with making money through share market feeling that he can retire with abundand wealth at his retirement and was making lot of money through share market in 1980s and 1990s and did not loose money in the Harshad Metha Scam , KP Scam , Dot Com Crash etc .He was smart enough to withdraw his money during these times and by the time he retired he had 2 posh apartments and more than Rs.50 lacs in Cash .But did he retire peacefully ? No .He committed suicide as he was so obessed in making money that he lost contact with all family members , friends etc and when he retired he felt lonely , no one to talk to etc .So he succeeded in stock market but failed in life .

2) Last year in 2006 I was on a Holiday Trip to Canada and that was the time the stock market was crashing like nine pins and I was  never perturbed and was enjoying my holidays as all my major investments were made in 2003 and they had good dividend protection .But my friends who accompanied me were in to high growth high risk stocks that they enetred in 2005 and were really frightened and has sleepless nights .They were all the time in touch with their family and brokers over their Cell Phones ( they had very high cell phone bills after that ) frustrated as to whether to exit booking looses or buying more to average the loss .They were in Catch 22 situation : If the exited now they will have to take in losses and they did not have extra  money to average the looses .They lost the entire spirit of Holiday .Their body was in Canada but mind was fully on their investments and how their other family members will react to their losses .

Conclusion :
No one style is perfect to creating wealth . Be clear about what you are doing and the risks / rewards of the same .There is no point in a value investor crying during a high bull market that his investments are not growing fast like other fast growing companies and there is no point in a growth investor crying foul and blaming Government \SEBI etc  when the market crashes like nine pins .Choose your own investment style and be happy with its risks / rewards and no need to make fun of others investing style and  remember that there is more to life than just investing and the 2 examples given above are illustrations of the same .
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 19/Dec/2007 at 2:49pm
I think equities give you the opportunity to learn so many businesses.

True. And sometimes I feel that I know more about the business than the promoters.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 19/Dec/2007 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by valueman

..... remember that there is more to life than just investing 

Noted & accepted.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
us121

Quote us121 Replybullet Posted: 22/Dec/2007 at 8:32pm
Excerpts from capital idea on line, in which they have quoted magazine 'The Economist':
------------

broadly speaking, the growth school concentrates on businesses with outstanding prospects, and worries less about the price it pays for shares.

In contrast, the value school takes the price it pays very seriously, and worries less about the prospects of the business.

ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version