Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: Jim's message to the visitors at.theequitydesk.com Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2007 at 11:15pm
Thanks Kulman
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2007 at 11:30pm
Kulmanjee,

Dont worry. It is very hard to offend me with opinion. I am fine with 180% from my opinion. And I am also fine when my opinion is 180%. Nothing wrong with that. I may away from my computer for few days. So won't reply.

P.S. I am also reading your posts with interest and fun. And I guess everybody does.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2007 at 7:39am
Manish Dave jee

Thanks for the reply. Such maturity comes with age I guess.......but on second thoughts it might not be true always e.g. yours truly!

Edited by kulman - 05/Jul/2007 at 8:31am
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 06/Jul/2007 at 12:25pm
I just saw Jim's comments and Udayan Babu's retort. My take - Jim Rogers was just jesting like you and me. Eg -

Shall we go to the Aerosmith concert?
It is Rs. 1800 per ticket! It is a big scam!

Jimmy really doesn't mean it when he says Indian stock market is a scam.  He just doesn't find the market as attractive as some of the other emerging markets.

Now all of us sitting here know the Indian market very well. But there are much more exciting opportunities  in Russia, Vietnam, China and Timbuktu. So obviously, when somebody asks Jim Rogers or Marc Faber about India, they would say that they are not very positive about India.

An Analogy:

Interviewer: Basant, what is your opinion about FMCG sector? Would you invest your money in this?

Basant: No way! FMCG sector is crap! There are much more exciting places to invest like Media and Telecom.

Here obviously, the FMCG sector represents India and Media/Telecom represents other emerging economies.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2007 at 9:27am
U.S. Housing Is one of History's `Biggest Bubbles,' Rogers Says

The U.S. subprime-market rout that wiped out $2.1 trillion from global share values last week has ``got a long way to go,'' Jim Rogers said.

Concern that defaults among subprime mortgages may be spilling over to other credit markets and hurting earnings and takeovers last week sent the Morgan Stanley Capital International World Index to its worst weekly drop in five years. Further losses may be in store even as shares rebounded this week, said Rogers, chairman of New York-based Beeland Interests Inc.

``This was one of the biggest bubbles we've ever had in credit,'' Rogers, who predicted the start of the global commodities rally in 1999, said in an interview from Hong Kong. ``I have been and am still short the investment bankers in America. I'm also short homebuilders.''

``This is only time in world history when people were able to buy houses with no money down and in fact, in some cases, the builders gave them money for a down payment,'' Rogers said. ``So this bubble is the worst we've had in housing and it's going to be the worst we've had cleaning it out.''

Source: Bloomberg

------------------------------------

Our US based friends....your views on this news please.

IP IP Logged
Mohan

Quote Mohan Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2007 at 9:45am
[QUOTE=kulman]

Our US based friends....your views on this news please.  

SmileI was wondering when he is going to come out and express his views.

Now we can safely consider market to have bottomed out. Feel free to start making your buying lists. As far as I know he is a persona non grata  in the US.

Edited by Mohan - 02/Aug/2007 at 9:47am
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 24/Oct/2007 at 7:18pm
Jim Rogers said he is shifting all his assets out of the dollar and buying Chinese yuan because the Federal Reserve has eroded the value of the U.S. currency.

Rogers, delivering a presentation late yesterday at an investors' meeting organized by ABN Amro Markets in Amsterdam, said he expects the Chinese currency to quadruple in the next decade and that he is holding on to commodities such as platinum, gold, silver and palladium.

He added, ``I think I'm going to make more money in agriculture than I make in precious metals.''

------------------------------------------

Manish Dave jee

Your views/comments .....if any.

IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 24/Oct/2007 at 12:22pm

Title says most of it.

When he says yuan going up 3-4 times think this. That currency is pegged artificially. It has appreciated against $$ less than Rs in last few year. When we unpegged Rs in '91 it went down the hill. This is $ getting unpegged from the currency which has huge surplus. I will give one example of what happnens when artificial control is taken over. Longer the control more dramatic the price action.

Gold was pegged at $35/ounce for decades. Ultimately no govt can stop mkt forces and gold had to be unpegged. It went from $35 to $800.

China is already selling treasy so this peg is near to its end.

Kulmanjee,
Jim Rogers gave testimony to US congress probably in '98. It was about US funding to Russia to help them out of problem. I suggest to read that.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version