Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 92 Next >>
deveshkayal

Online Status: Offline
Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 5:36pm
 Excerpts from CNBC-TV18's exclusive interview with Samir Arora:

Q: What do you feel about the markets and how do you think it is looking before the Budget?

A: Although I played bullish and I am normally bullish, I am a little uncomfortable with the pace of the market rally in the last seven-eight months and I think that we may be borrowing a little bit from the future with the pace of the rally.

I and my investors should be better off in the market if we got the same returns gradually and steadily over a number of months rather than every month thinking that this is it only to see a fall next month.

Of course, the bulls, and I am normally a bull, would say that the fact that we are so circumspect means that may be the markets will not correct after the Budget.

Q: What are you doing yourself then, have you started moving a lot of money to cash and wait to see the event or are you fully invested?

A: In our case, the fully invested is normally around 50-60% only because that is how we invest in this current fund.

So I have to think whether I should make it 40% or so and maybe near to the Budget, I would buy on few more puts and maybe increase the cost that I pay for insurance but I think I will have to do something like that, not because I think that the Budget will be bad but just that over a number of months, seven-eight months, literally every month the market is 5% or so a month and that a good Budget or bad Budget looks a bit high.

Q: Is the job of a fund manager slightly easier right now than earlier years because now we have a very active futures in options/F&O market as you said, in which you can buy some protection to guard against an event risk?

A: That is true but there is a cost to this and normally if I were to spend 2-3% of NAV then only would you be able to protect the whole fund at 3-4% away from the current levels.

So it is not just that the job is easier, there is a call and there is a cost to that. Actually the job of the fund manager appears easier because generally there has been a bull run and so everybody thinks that, it is because of their creation and not because we just happen to be in fortunate times, which is part of the story but we will spend some money on insurance and protect some part of the portfolio and we do not want that insurance to pay off because that would mean that the markets are falling but that is a bit for sleeping well in the night.

Q: What are the odds that we have a post-Budget slump, 10 out of 17 times, we have fallen post-Budget, in the month after the Budget, do you think it will be number 11?

A: If we ignore March, let us say that next three months, there will be some correction, which will take prices lower than what they are today.

Q: Significantly lower, you think?

A: I hope not and we are not ready for that, neither we wish for that and neither will we be ever ready for it because we, as I said, are bullish, I want to temper it a little bit for myself. There is no reason why it should be significantly lower, corporate results have been good, financial position, the government is good, foreign flows may not be very good but there is a lot of interest and I think they will buy any correction.

They will only stop buying corrections if after they buy one correction, the market again falls and the second correction may not be bought. But right now, the programming of the foreigners is that you buy a correction, even though it only takes you back to levels that you may have seen only three or four months before but just the psychological pleasure of buying a correction is still there and for ourselves also, last year for example the highest flows, absolute highest flows came at the end of May.

Q: What worries you about the set up right now? Do you think the correction when it comes will just be a factor of valuations and the lack of corrections for many months or do you think it will be a global event or a local event like inflation going up and it is already at 6.5% which will trigger that correction?

A: What trigger it gets, I do not know but when it happens, India will have a pretty steep correction because I am most uncomfortable with the sharp rally in stocks that nobody has heard of, that normally don’t even get fully subscribed and suddenly you find them going up. I think basically it is artificial and unfair and misleading and they are not just random traders.

So my feeling is that a number of stocks that go up have no basis and most probably when the markets fall, they will fall 80-90%, but I will not be shedding tears for any investors who have bought those stocks with open eyes.

Q: What are you more apprehensive about in terms of valuations? Did I hear you say that you are still comfortable with the largecap valuations but it is in the midcaps that valuations worry you?

A: I am most worried about the super high traded unknown names, obviously there are atleast 40-50, these trade in multiples of free-floats. In the large names actually if you are expecting a correction then you are safer off in the largecap names because the correction in midcap whether it has a lower P/E or not will be as savage than maybe without liquidity when it happens.

So today we still feel that in the largecaps, you choose the obvious longer-term themes and stay with them, maybe buy a new company here or there but broadly I am most nervous on which will trigger the fall with the high volume traded unknown stocks.

Q: What is your own weighting between midcaps and largecaps right now in the Helios portfolio?

A: If we consider as USD 500 million and above as largecap, then we will be on the long side around 75-80% above that because if you consider billion dollars as largecaps then maybe we are 60% or so, then we would have 140 companies like that.          

Q: How do you rate the new paper, which is hitting the market over the last couple of months because a primary market action has heated up considerably?

A: There have been two groups of companies hitting the IPO market those which barely get subscribed and those which gets subscribed 120 times. So mostly my feeling is that those which barely get subscribed have been giving much better performance and I would not touch them even if I knew before they went up that this is what will happen and the ones which gets heavily oversubscribed have also been recently disappointing and all in all the IPO experience has been very poor for the investors in the last four-five months.

One oil company Cairn is below par, so if you come out and if you consider that the money waited trade then many of the real estate companies are below par because if you get oversubscribed 120 times and if you go up 10% basically you lost money for everybody.

Q: What is your sense of the liquidity situation right now, January was very quiet, February we have seen quite a bit opening up. Do you think when the correction comes, there will be a lot of global money waiting to buy into it or they will skirt it for a bit?

A: No, I think first round, they will buy. The foreign investors and even the Indian investors are programmed to buy a correction now because in the last 3 years every correction buying has worked.

Let us say we consider a correction of 10% and after 10% some investors will put and after a month or two again is falls 8-10%, no body will buy the second correction.

Q: Do you think we will get off with 10% this time after no correction virtually for 8 months?

A: We don’t know that because this all depends on global factors which we don’t know about but when the market corrects 10%, some stocks in India will fall 50% and nobody will shed a tear for them.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 6:22pm
Great Interview....
For me the significant line was
------------------

So my feeling is that a number of stocks that go up have no basis and most probably when the markets fall, they will fall 80-90%, but I will not be shedding tears for any investors who have bought those stocks with open eyes.

You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
PrashantS

Quote PrashantS Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:22pm
Manager Speak
India Bull
 Feb 09, 2007  | Email article to a friend

A self-confessed ‘India bull’, Samir Arora, fund manager, Helios Capital Management, wants to push India to investors around the world. Issues like high PE and slowdown in privatisation don’t bother him

How do you feel ‘selling India’ to your investors? In your opinion, what makes India a compelling case?
Relative to other choices, India is one of the best markets, not necessarily just the best economy. I say that because in India the choices that are listed on the stock market are of a much higher quality and much more diversified than the choices in other markets.

Indian stocks actually represent every sector of its economy. If somebody wants to bet on the consumer industry, infrastructure, media, private sector or public sector, it's all available in India in the listed format. Not so in Russia, Brazil or China. Over the years, I have been an India bull and was always overweight on India. But now, I don't have to sympathise with any other market and am 100 per cent in India. And I want to personally push India to the world. I think India sells well and works well. When we articulate our views, people listen.

Earlier, we would sell India on a bottom-up basis. We used to say that the companies in India are good with high ROEs. In the last three-four years what has changed is that people can go and push India at a country level and say that you need to have an India strategy.

People would initially just buy an emerging markets theme leaving it to the fund manager to be underweight or overweight in, say Korea or Taiwan. These investors did not choose India vis-à-vis another country. In the last few years, India has moved into the big picture acceptance. Now even a retail Japanese or American, investing in a fund, would consider an India dedicated fund and thereby go for an independent India allocation.

What's your view on the statements referring to India's PE being higher vis-a-viz other emerging markets?
The Indian story is bigger than just declaring that its PE is two points higher than another market.

Many say that India's relative PE to Asia is the highest, therefore it’s a sell. They don't care that India or the world has had a three-year commodity bull run. So commodity companies have done well but their PEs are low because in commodities when the stock prices are at a peak, PE is not the highest but the lowest because earnings have gone up. In fact, normally in commodity companies you buy when the company is making a loss. Because then you hope that they can't make more losses, the capacities will be shrunk and all that. So by definition, the commodity driven countries will have a lower PE at the height of their bull run.

India will have a high PE at the height of a bull run because it has more of everything and not just commodities.

Globally, some sectors are generically low PE sectors — oil and gas, commodity, paper, chemicals — and others are high PE sectors — consumer, pharma and software. India has the lowest weightage of generically lower PE sectors and the highest weightage of the generically higher PE sectors vis-à-vis the other emerging markets.

So just saying that India’s PE is high makes no sense. If you remove software, MNC and certain other stocks which other countries do not have and adjust for it, the PE difference would look much less stark. If you remove Infosys, India's PE will go down by 0.5.

Let's say you come and tell me that I cannot invest in India at 17 PE. I will ask you what you are comfortable with. 15 PE? Then I would say, don't invest in Lever, Infosys or Glaxo. Now take the rest of the companies and choose.

IP IP Logged
PrashantS

Quote PrashantS Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:23pm
So the higher price-earning does not bother you?
I would have considered this issue if the bull run in India was driven by local investors. If that be the case, then skeptics could say that the speculators are pumping money into the system and driving up prices and the bubble will soon collapse. But, this bull run is driven by foreign investors who have the choice to invest either in the US or Russia or any other country. But yet they are coming to India. Since this bull run is driven by the foreign investor who has a complete choice, it is more credible in that sense.

We had a large company called DSQ Software that suddenly went away. So we may have Infosys but we also have DSQ Software. What could be the fundamental corporate issues?
Let's take the example of the banking sector. There were 15 banks out of which five or six have gone out of business. Even then, if you would had invested equally in each of them, you would have made money, because the ones that that have gone up, have gone up by 100 times. Dangers are there but so are choices. You can't penalise the country for providing choices. In India, even the investors who themselves are not running companies can participate in the stock markets. But in many other economies, you as a normal stock market guy could not have been a party to it. In Russia, how many billionaires have been created because of oil and gas? But in India, Sunil Mittal did not become a billionaire alone. You could have got the stock at Rs 20. You could have bought RIL and HDFC Bank before they went up 50 times.

In India, the stock market gives you the opportunity to participate in every theme. Indian companies, for whatever reason, go public relatively sooner in their lives. By the way, in the US, nearly 300 companies or more have acted in ways which could have taken them to prison because they had issued back-dated options, which is basically cheating. The point is that corporate governance issues are specific to a country, and India is okay.
IP IP Logged
PrashantS

Quote PrashantS Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:23pm
Retail investors are cautious with the Sensex at 13,000-plus levels. How should they proceed?
Retail investors don’t have to care about an index. Institutional investors worry that if they don’t put the money in the markets and the markets go to 14,000, investors will ask them why the market went up by 7 per cent and their investments by just 2 per cent. A retail investor does not have to prove anything to anyone. So he may or may not take his time. He can wait three months before accepting the idea that 13,000 is just a number. Who knows the answer to that? Or he can do systematic investing. People are programmed to buy at a correction. When that will happen, nobody knows. Therefore, what we tell people is that you should invest only that much money that when it corrects, you can say I want to add, rather than saying “Oh God! I have to pay my bills and redeem”. We tell people to put only half of what they plan to invest in India.

Put only so much that when a correction comes you view it as a buying opportunity. Warren Buffet had said when you go to a shop to buy groceries and you see that grocery prices have gone down, do you feel happy or sad? Obviously happy. So when stock markets go down, and you are in the age group of 30-50, you are buying stocks and have several years before you sell them. So why do you want the markets to be up today?

Do you think the end of the commodity bull run will affect India?
The stock market is not a zero sum game. Ceteris paribus, the stock market every year becomes cheaper by 20 per cent in India and maybe 5 per cent in the world because Indian earnings grow 15-20 per cent as a market. And nobody in this world is projecting that Indian earnings should decline next year. They will say that 25 per cent will become 15 per cent because the commodity bull run is over. But I think if the commodity bull run is over, India is the biggest beneficiary of that because it is a consumer of commodities.

So how does it matter that two listed companies will have lower earnings and, therefore, on paper will appear that the overall index has lower earnings than before? It will be beneficial for all others because at the macro level, we are the consumers of commodities.
IP IP Logged
PrashantS

Quote PrashantS Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:24pm
Are you concerned about the pace of privatisation in India?
I have heard statements that the government is not aggressive in its privatisation drive. But, I say that India has the best privatisation track record in the emerging markets. People have defined privatisation as saying that the government should sell companies to private or strategic partners or go public. I look at privatisation as privatisation of a sector — how much of the sector is controlled by private companies? India has achieved privatisation of sectors without ever privatising the state-owned companies.

Isn’t the mutual fund industry privatised? Or is it that just because we didn’t sell UTI, we have not privatised it? In aviation, today, 70 per cent of the traffic is carried by private airlines. Insurance and banking? The government has not sold SBI or LIC to any strategic investor, but you can go to a private sector bank or a private insurance player. On the contrary, go to China and look for a private sector bank. You can only go to a state-owned bank which has a 20 per cent foreign holding but which is still run by the government. Is that privatisation?

You can say that the government lost the opportunity to raise money. If it had sold Indian Airlines to Singapore Airlines, they would have raised more money. By privatisation, the government’s role in the economy should come down and that is happening. In mutual funds, it has come down from 100 to 20 per cent but the government has never privatised its company. Every time you allow private guys to come in, they will win a bit of the share from the government. We have achieved it with genuine bottom-up private sector-created companies rather than selling one big company.

In closing, what's the flip side of investing in India? The downside?
It’s a single country. Single country risks are higher than a diversified index. Apart from that, other factors like the whole world corrects and there is another May.

This interview appeared in December 2006 Issue of Mutual Fund Insight.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 8:54pm

Ah-ha...someone wants to join the Club 500 soon it seems!

Just kiddin' Wink
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2007 at 9:59pm
Savvy Manager Samir Arora is in the town (Mumbai).Now we dont have to go to Singapore.Meet him before he run away!!!
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 92 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version