Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Future Portfolio for a minor child Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
barla

Online Status: Offline
Quote barla Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 12:04pm

I personaly feel putting into a mutual fund would be best. Maybe even the index fund of Benchmark.

Originally posted by tejas.k

Hi guys,My father in law has given some money to me for investing for my daughter. (1.5 yrs old).. He wants me to invest in so called children plans.  ( which are nothing but ULIPS and hate them). I have convinced him but still he wants child tag in the product name  :-).  Fortunately theirs a mutual fund HDFC Children gift investment plan. This a equity oriented hybrid fund and has clearly outperformed all peers. (the nearest 2 are from hdfc. hdc prudence and hdfc balance.  Last year 18% and last 3 year 15.5% CAGR.  (May be because TTK prestige that it holds? )I liked this fund. But if take a conservative 12% CAGR, the corpus doesn't look that great. (I am looking at 10-15 years).  Dont call me greedy but that amount may not mean much 10/15 years down the line.  So i was wondering if should consider some stock instead? (Just one. I don't want to split it into n stocks). If one were to consider one stock, what would that be?? Nestle, ITC, Titan are the ones that come to my mind.It would be great if you could share your views.
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 10:19pm
thanks all.
IP IP Logged
patra04

Quote patra04 Replybullet Posted: 25/Jul/2011 at 10:09pm
Tejasji,

May I ask, what you did eventually? Its OK if you dont want to divulge the details.

Regards,
Rahul
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 26/Jul/2011 at 8:59pm
Rahulji,
No problems at all. However, in the end I didn't do anything. :- ) I have put that  money in my savings account from which I am spending or investing in markets). I believe, one doesn't need any separate investment for your child. You can as well treat your primary investment for all your future needs.

In this case, I actually wanted to invest that separately so that I am can update my father in  law on the returns and that might make him happy.  (he has given the same amount to his other son in law who has put it in some so called children plan which is a ULIP. I wanted to beat my brother in law. :-) not literally but in terms of returns. hence posted the query )

Originally posted by patra04

Tejasji,

May I ask, what you did eventually? Its OK if you dont want to divulge the details.

Regards,
Rahul
IP IP Logged
patra04

Quote patra04 Replybullet Posted: 26/Jul/2011 at 1:10am
Thank you for the response Tejasji.

I have been thinking about doing something similar for my son (18 months old).

I kind of agree with you when you say, 'we can treat the primary investment for all future needs'.

I dont want to go the ULIP/Index/MF way as I feel we have to shell out unnecessary costs with these instruments which can cause a significant difference with returns in the long term.

Regards,
Rahul
IP IP Logged
itpro

Quote itpro Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2011 at 12:05pm

I kind of agree with you when you say, 'we can treat the primary investment for all future needs'.

I dont want to go the ULIP/Index/MF way as I feel we have to shell out unnecessary costs with these instruments which can cause a significant difference with returns in the long term.

Regards,
Rahul
If you can devote full time to financial mangement then its fine. Otherwise I would suggest the way the financal planner suggest
1. Invest in term plan.
2. Invest in mediclaim.
3. Invest in Mutual fund and Shares [ You decide the percentage based on the time you can spend and saftey you want ].
4. ULIP/Index are no...no.
e.g. It is better to leave it to professional fund manager for some percentage of target fund. For rest of the kicking... equity is there.

IP IP Logged
patra04

Quote patra04 Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2011 at 7:57pm

Agree with you itpro. Infact I currently have a similar mix (some % in stocks and remaining in MFs). Going forward I would like to see myself 100% in equities. When that happens, remains to be seen.

Regards,
Rahul
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 27/Jul/2011 at 10:23pm
well said. I would also add Fixed deposit to it. (Though you cant call it an investment).

Originally posted by itpro

Regards,
Rahul
If you can devote full time to financial mangement then its fine. Otherwise I would suggest the way the financal planner suggest
1. Invest in term plan.
2. Invest in mediclaim.
3. Invest in Mutual fund and Shares [ You decide the percentage based on the time you can spend and saftey you want ].
4. ULIP/Index are no...no.
e.g. It is better to leave it to professional fund manager for some percentage of target fund. For rest of the kicking... equity is there.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version