Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: The Big Future Brands in India - 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 10 Next >>
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 20/Dec/2007 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by furkanalam

But i think after the launch of CNN-IBN ......NDTV is no more the best news channel.....I really like the content of CNN-IBN.....

Off late, I have seen the appearance of NDTV has become better. But, IBN still has a more professiOnal image. Citizen Journalist rocks. They should try to bring more viewer-interactive content, something which runs 24X7 like news. CJ is only one which currently fits that bill.

Also, IBNLIVE still has way to go to comepete with NDTV's two programes, which I feel has a very strong brand of their own:

1) We the People
2) Big Fight

If CNN can truly beat these two programmes of NTDV, everythIng else is alreAdy there in IBN.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 03/Feb/2008 at 8:53am
Although a lot is being said about Colgate being past its prime, the brand ratings totally tell it otherwise. No one and I repeat no one can beat Colgate, not even the HUL's Pepsodent/Close-Up or the indian company's Neem, Amar, babool and whatever non-sense you have. You visit any mall, and see the coverage Colgate has in terms of space and compare it with Himalaya, Dabur, marico, pepsodent and close-Up, Babool, Amar etc etc.

Similarly, look at nestle's coverage....people use the term Maggi for noodles and the biggest evidence of the strength of the brand when its name starts becoming generic for the product. How many people say, get me a adhesive, most of them say get me a fevicol. Horlicks' coverage is again mindblowing, although Bournvita and Complan shout a lot more.

IP IP Logged
johnnybravo

Quote johnnybravo Replybullet Posted: 03/Feb/2008 at 10:17am
Agreed Vevikji,
But toothpastes, soaps, detergents and shampoos have become more of a commodity. I mean what innovation have the providers of these companies carried out in the past 25 years.
A toothpaste still remains a toothpaste (with x chemical, y flavor and z taste). Same goes for soaps.
Sometimes, I am shocked to see the kind of money these companies spend on marketing and advertisements. 7 out of every 10 adds belong to them!
What people fail to understand is: "sabun se Nahana is more important than kyon se sabun se nahana".
Coming back to the brand discussion, colgate might be a big brand, but i doubt, whether it carries a huge brand recall/loyalty.
Saab Moh Maya hai!
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 03/Feb/2008 at 10:36am
Strongly Disagree........does anyone talk about RBI, ICRA, LIC or pantaloon or HDFC on being asked which brands they fancy the most? If you ask me my most favorite brand, it will always be Horlicks for my day begins with the horlicks biscuits. Next will come dettol. Brand recall will be very high for consumer non-durables. So, soaps, toothpastes, biscuits, food items will have extremely strong recalls. Now, how much that translates into money???? And over there, I see the potential is very immense. We will make a dent by both killing the competitors as well as increasing the reach/penetration.
IP IP Logged
chetan

Quote chetan Replybullet Posted: 22/Feb/2008 at 3:29pm
 APPOLLO HOSPITAL  This is one of the largest brand and player in the healthcare sector. Ask any lay man for speciality medical treatment 90% wont be able to recall anything else .This brand and trust associated with it has been built in 25 years.
SUCCESS IS THE ABILITY TO BE
GOOD ON YOUR OWN TERMS-CHETAN
IP IP Logged
romanov
Groupie
Groupie

Quote romanov Replybullet Posted: 25/Feb/2008 at 11:27am
Originally posted by smartcat

One brand, which I hope closes sooner rather than later is "Pan Parag". I dont "Pan Parag" or "Tulsi Zarda" in India in 2010. I know Kothari Products will not agree with me.

Bubble, watch where you are going. You just stepped on cow dung :)

One interesting brands that will not work as much as its brand's strength from the stock market point of view is SBI. Any ideas why?

In my books, SBI is a terrible brand. This is my year 2002 story - not a work of fiction, it actually happened to me -

I didn't have a credit card with me at that time. So I walked into the friendly neighborhood SBI bank branch to get the application. I saw a dog sleeping nicely at one corner. I'm not talking about an employee - I'm talking about a real dog! Anyway, I approached a friendly smiling middle-aged gentlemen. The conversation went something like this -

Me: Hi, I want to apply for a credit card.
Gentleman: Loan? You want a loan?
Me: No, No. I want a credit card. Do you have the application form?
Gentleman: Saar, credit card is like a loan. We don't have the form with us.
Me: Oh ok.
Gentleman: Go to ICICI Bank. They give credit cards quickly.
Me: Confused

It's intresting how two people perceive a same set of event very differently,Their are lot of sectors(all Public oriented enterprises) lacking to Dominate the Private markets only because of lack of Technological prowess.

For example ,,,I consider issuance of Credit Cards easily, to be an extremely bad Banking practice on ICICI's part...and at the same time I understand that trust commanded by SBI is 100 times greater than any Private bank.......Now consider what's ailing the SBI bank..among plethora of other things ...it's Technology which will eventually iron out all these bugs from an efficient functioning...what remains is matter of time...which should not be an issue for Long term investor.

Lessons learnt : Focus on IT players who are capable of catering to these Public organizations(Banking Sectors..with time their Demand and value will increase).

Focus on Organization..which command trust(there is always an inherent difference between Trust and Popularity) but lack efficiency..Efficiency will come(It's Inevitable..10 years from now we will be surprised to inclusion of Technology in our day-2-day life)

ICICI bank is surely not the one which commands Trust..however it's headstart will keep it ahead for some time.

IP IP Logged
dhanaji

Quote dhanaji Replybullet Posted: 01/Mar/2008 at 10:12am
Basant sir,
What do u think of VIP in luggage and RAYMOND in textile.
All other listed companies with having good brands and are discovered by market even raymond. but VIP is not...your views pls.
dhanaji
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 01/Mar/2008 at 11:08am
I liked thair advertisements but as stocks I am not bullish on them. Not sure of the growth in these two companies.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 10 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version