Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: An Ideal Mutual Fund Portfolio Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
xbox

Online Status: Offline
Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 5:18am
For some time lure of Sandeep S infatuated me to look into FM AMC but later on I decided to stay away. I go 100% with valueresearchonline.com for selecting MF.
I will advise to stick to 5 or 4 star funds in your preferred category.
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2007 at 11:58am
ValueResearchOnline.com waits for 3 years to assign a rating - that's the only drawback. I feel one year is enough to find out a mutual fund's risk adjusted returns. With the launch of new and innovative funds (not the usual NFO melas), it would  make sense to look outside the 4 and 5 star funds too.

Quantum Mutual Fund is very interesting. It is probably the only fund that uses 'value style' investing. To save costs, they don't use distributors. You need to go to QuantumAMC.com website to buy their mutual fund.
IP IP Logged
xbox

Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:06pm
Templeton India Growth is known for seeking value for years. They have higher 1 yr return than Quantum. Although I am not suggesting either. The point I am making is that old & tested funds are much better than similar genre.
Some new innovation could be just marketing strategy. Remember long-short funds have failed to impress on returns.
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:17pm

I don't know how I missed Templeton India Growth. Their portfolio looks 'value style oriented' allright.

I genuinely feel some funds offer something unique -

SBI Magnum Comma Fund - Retail investors are mostly terrible at picking commodity stocks. So invest in Comma Fund if you want to ride a sugar or a cement boom again

Principal Global Opportunities Fund -  Only fund that puts 100% of its corpus in non-Indian equities.

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 12:20pm
Mobius has gone wrong on his value based investing strategy. I know the value guys on this forum will pouncfe on me but as an investor I always look at the opportunity cost of money. If a stock makes less money for 4-5 years I cannot console myself with a a startegy that is followed on the basis of what was laid down by Graham and Dodd! 
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 27/Jun/2007 at 8:30pm
As far as QuantumAMC goes, I would listen to none but our Monu jee's expert opinion. Where is he..... by the way?
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
ndzapak

Quote ndzapak Replybullet Posted: 30/Jun/2007 at 7:51am

Lessons in do-it-yourself investing

Millions of American investors are making the transition to self-directed investing. As Peter Lynch put it in One Up on Wall Street, "Rule #1, in my book, is: stop lis­tening to professionals. Twenty years in this business convinces me that any normal person using the custom­ary three per cent of the brain can pick stocks just as well, if not better, than the average Wall Street expert. Think like an amateur...If you're a surfer, a truck driver, a high school dropout, or an eccentric retiree, then you've got an edge already."

You can build a winning mutual fund portfolio by yourself, because all of the expertise you need is now available to you. Wall Street's historic monopoly over financial information no longer exists - investors today are not dependent on their brokers for tips or informa­tion resources. The power has shifted from Wall Street's institutions to Main Street America.

Discount brokerage first weakened Wall Street's stranglehold in the 1970s. On-line technologies widened the gap in the 1980s and 1990s. Now we're entering a new phase in this revolution, with the emergence of the self-reliant, self-directed investor.

The new do-it-yourself investors are taking control of their financial future. Armed with a new spirit of confi­dence, they are discovering the best tools to accomplish their goals and quickly learning how to use these tools to build successful portfolios. No-load, high-performing funds and other discounted services advance this new freedom.

A new age of insecurity - and financial self-reliance

In decades past, American investors relied on a variety of institutions - the government, employers, and Wall Street - �to guide them safely into retirement. They made the key financial decisions affecting our lives. Someone else had the information and the resources, so individual investors were dependent on their authority and wisdom.

This is not the case today. Now investors are moving through a new age of insecurity. Concerns about their financial futures are forcing American investors to become self-reliant. And they're rising to the challenge. Today, investors are not only financially savvy and computer-literate, they're also filled with a confidence that they can indeed manage their own financial future far better than any outside authorities, in government, corporate America, and Wall Street's institutions. It's easy to do so with mutual funds.

An explosion in mutual funds

Nowhere is this trend toward self-reliance and independence more obvious than in the explosive growth in the mutual funds owned by individual investors. US mutual fund assets have exploded more than twenty-fold since the mid-1980s Fidelity Investments alone, the largest US mutual fund family is now larger than the entire mutual fund market of the mid-1980s.

Today there are over 10,000 funds to choose from, a tenfold increase over the mid-1980s, with 500 to 1,000 new funds being added every year. In fact, there are now more four- and five-star top-performing funds than there were total funds a decade ago. As a result, advertisements for mutual funds are now so loaded with stars they look like ads for Hollywood movies.

Four phases in America's financial revolution

Phase One. The advent of the discount broker in the mid-1970s marked the start of the individual investing revolution. Savvy investors suddenly had a bonanza of new options.

Phase Two. Beginning in the early 1990s, the number of investors with on-line brokerage accounts at Schwab and the other on-line pioneers grew from fewer than 100,000 in 1993 to more than 5 million in five years. Fifteen million more were predicted for the early years of the next decade.

Phase Three. The late 1990s brought new on-line tools and the continuing proliferation of financial information � making it possible for individuals to manage the explosion in mutual fund choices. This effectively diminished Wall Street's historic monopoly on financial information, and empowered individuals to take command of their portfolio choices.

Phase Four. From 2000 on, investment technologies are advancing so rapidly that all individual investors have access to on-line power tools that can automatically handle all the analysis, planning, portfolio monitoring, and trading, as do-it-yourself investing becomes the standard.

Investors' demand for new investment opportunities is so intense today that fund managers, brokerage firms, and financial advisers are doubling and tripling their advertising budgets to capture market share, and are routinely moving into the television and Internet media.

Fueled by this increasing tide of new advertising monies, the major financial magazines are expanding coverage of mutual fund news substantially, providing their readers with more and better information with which to make financial choices. The cost is next to nothing compared with brokerage fees.

You can do it better yourself

True, the amount of information out there presents its own challenges. But the good news is that information continues to get better and cheaper. Investors are discovering a host of new keep-it-simple solutions, and not just through high-tech and online resources.

Driven by a commercial need to sell their periodicals and to compete for ad dollars and readers, even the print media are transforming themselves into low-tech wholesale providers of professional-quality financial advice. Whatever you need to know about your mutual funds - it's out there and easy to get.

Being a do-it-yourself investor means using a total approach and focusing on mutual funds for the long term. It means integrating financial planning, simple asset allocation models, and disciplined portfolio management. Do-it-yourself investors should never chase the hot fund of the week or gamble their future on short-term market swings. They want funds and fund managers with long-term, proven track records.

Creating a winning mutual fund portfolio with appropriate asset allocation models is an ideal way for investors to keep it simple and eliminate the cost of the middleman.

Burton Malkiel - former member of the Council of Economic Advisers, former governor of the AMEX, and author of A Random Walk Down Wall Street�- offers this bit of encouragement: "Many people say that individual investors have scarcely a chance today against Wall Street's pros...Nothing could be further from the truth. You can do it as well as the experts - perhaps even better." Do it yourself.

Excerpt from:

The Winning Portfolio: How to choose the best mutual funds

By Paul B. Farrell

Publisher: Vision Books

Price: Rs 145

Paul B. Farrell, J. D., Ph.D., is the mutual funds editor of CBS MarketWatch, where he writes the "Farrell-on-Funds" column and maintains the SuperStar Funds database. He is the author of three previous books on investing and has been an investment banker with Morgan Stanley, associate editor at The Los Angeles Herald Examiner, and chief operating officer of the Financial News Network, USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL for this article:

http://www.rediff.com///money/2007/jun/29mf.htm

the Equitydesk is the best
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 01/Jul/2007 at 9:11pm
Here is a very good article, a must read.

Mutual Dislike

The waiter came round with a dish of delectable looking titbits. Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy looked suspiciously at them and asked the waiter, "Veg?"

The waiter assumed a supercilious attitude and looking like a parent taking special pride in his super achiever son, sniffed loudly and said with disdain, "No sir. Those are Roasted meat balls crisped in Honey and Hunan sauce!"

Ramanujam hastily withdrew his half extended fingers and waved the waiter away. Another waiter followed with an attractive array of sparkling liquids in various colours. "Sir, Teacher's Kingfisher Red Bull."

"Why?" asked Ramanujam.

The waiter looked puzzled. Ramanujam clarified, "Yeah, I mean if he was the teacher's Kingfisher, he must have been taught properly not to read bull."

The waiter made a spot decision. He decided that this person did not need any more and quietly sidled away, leaving behind an extremely puzzled Ramanujam. He kept wondering why a person who looked quite sane, if one judged by the black jacket and bow tie, would make such a statement while carrying coloured liquids. Of course, this was second only to the mystery of how a Kingfisher could read.

Suddenly, there was activity on the podium and a smiling gentleman made an announcement, "We are indeed fortunate that we have amongst us an expert like Mr. Suvarna Lele who will explain to us how this new mutual fund is your best opportunity in recent times."

Ramanujam had no inkling as to how the fortunate looked, he being never that fortunate. So he folded his arms and looked on benevolently. However, he quickly realized that instead of fortunate, he was looking smug and self satisfied. He speedily unfolded his arms and looked at the speaker with attention and mouth open. But he discarded this pose as rapidly because this made him look stupid and not fortunate. So instead he just leaned back and gazed dreamily ahead, hoping that no one would notice that he was not looking as fortunate as he ought to look.

Mr. Lele cleared his throat and started, "The Sensex is touching new highs and the commonest question that people ask me is that is this the right time to invest." Here Mr. Lele paused for dramatic effect. Then with a flourish he exclaimed, "Of course! The answer is YES! Can you guess why I am telling you to invest even at these high levels?"

Here Ramanujam thought that he had the perfect opportunity to help the speaker along. Which speaker does not like a responsive audience? He immediately raised his hand and exclaimed, "Is it because you get paid your commission no matter what happens to our money?"

Mr. Lele looked annoyed, but smiling he said, "That was a rhetorical
question, Mr. Er ...."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir." said Ramanujam helpfully.

"Er ... yes! Mr. Rama... whatever. Thank you. What I meant to say was that could you make a profit even at these high levels? And the answer surprisingly is yes! And that is because we are going to invest in only high growth companies. So what will happen is that whether the market does well or not, our fund will pick only those companies giving us good profit."

Ramanujam's hand went ballistic again. Mr. Lele turned to him and said, "Yes, Mr. Rama."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Sir do you mean to say that all the other mutual funds will invest in low growth companies or in companies not giving them good profit?" Ramanujam was genuinely puzzled.

"Let's not discuss other fund houses. What I want to stress is that we have a team of experts, led by me, who will spot all the budding companies and invest in them before they start making a huge profit. Let me give you a simple example. If anyone had invested Rs. 1000 in Infosys during its early days, he would be a dollar millionaire today. ONLY 1000 RUPEES!"

Again Ramanujam hand became animated. Lele looked wearily at him. "Yes Mr. Rama?"

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Just one simple question, Sir. How many thousands did you invest in Infosys in those early days?"

Now Lele was looking distinctly uncomfortable. "Those were early days. But now I have experience. Anyway, what I want to stress is that we are going to invest your money in all the top companies, not from one region, but from North, South, East and West."

This time Ramanujam raised his hand almost apologetically. Lele wiped his brow with a hanky and said, "Mr. Rama."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir. Actually, sir, I have rather liked that advertisement of yours, which shows all the beauty queens from all the four corners of India (poor Madhya Pradesh) come and crown the investor. But does that mean, sir that others are not investing on an all India basis? Or are you going to keep a reservation policy, where each region will have a certain quota allotted to it?"

"Thank you, Mr. Rama for ..."

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir."

"Oh yes! Thanks for liking our advertisement. But we sincerely mean it."

"You mean beauty queens will come from all over to crown us?"

"Ha! Ha! You are joking. No, what I mean is we will see which companies have the potential from all the regions of India and then invest in them."

"But shouldn't we see the profit rather than the region of these companies? And don't pan Indian companies have greater potential than only regional companies?"

A manager beckoned a waiter on the side and told him to give that gentleman a drink. However, the waiter assured him that he was already incoherent.

Then give him something to eat said the manager. The waiter again assured him that he does not eat. The poor manager looked glumly on.

The ill at ease Mr. Lele was now looking distinctly uncomfortable. He
cleared his throat and proceeded, "We have a very superior model of
investing. You must have seen our advt of buying apples, oranges and peaches at the same time. Thus we spread our risk over large cap, mid cap and small cap companies."

Inevitably, he eyed Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy's frantic hand wearily and said, "Okay! Now what?"

"Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy, Sir."

"I know! I know!"

"Sir, isn't that what all diversified mutual funds are already doing? How
are your apples and bananas any different?"

"Apples and oranges. The difference is in our selection. But hold on. I
haven't yet told you about the most important feature of our fund. We assure you the safety of your principal. So no matter what happens, you will get back your principal! How about that Mr. Ramanujam Narayanaswamy Krishnamoorthy, I got that right, didn't I?"

"Er no! It is Ramanujam NarayanaMOORTHY KrishnaSWAMY, Sir. Yes sir, your idea of safety of our capital looks good. But how much do we pay for this guarantee?"

"Nothing much, only 5 % to the guarantor bank, and a lock-in period of three years."

Ramanujam thought this over and said, "Okay. So what you are saying is that we should pay 5 % of our investments to a Bank, betting that the price of companies will go below their 3 year's old price, something which has never happened anytime in the past!"

At that moment, the manager diplomatically announced that there would be a short break for refreshments and the discussions would continue after that.

Mysteriously, after the break, Ramanujam Narayanamoorthy Krishnaswamy was nowhere to be seen, and the speaker began, "I think I shall begin from the beginning so that we understand the concepts clearly."

----Kishore Shah

(No actual mutual funds were harmed during the making of this article.
However, all the concepts have been taken from recent NFOs.)

Source: BS from KS here

Edited by kulman - 01/Jul/2007 at 10:13pm
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 33 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version