Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: What's your most profound learning/insight? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
kulman

Online Status: Offline
Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 8:55pm
Ajith, thanks for sharing the insights.

Stock market is an expensive place to find out who you are.Chess is far cheaper to learn those lessons.

Very true.

As Kasparov says weakness of character  is reflected in your chess.I learnt that I am often impulsive.That I must rely more on my powerful subconscious.While playing important tournaments,I move away from the scene every now and then even in complex situations.When I come back often I notice something new and important instantly.

Yes, something to learn from.

IP IP Logged
nitin_jagtap

Quote nitin_jagtap Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Ajith

In chess pattern recognition is the key.Higher level players are simply more familiar with more patterns.So they know what to do.In stocks also its the same.Jim Rogers knows stock market and economic history like few others and so understands and takes advantage of current situation.

Cant agree more on this, for that matter its applicable not only to investing but to many aspects in life. Pattern reconginition or big picture view or ability to connect the dots  gives one a huge advantage over other who focus too much on the operational stuff, matters which really dont matter etc etc
Warm REgards
Nitin Jagtap
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 05/Mar/2010 at 10:24pm
Nithin,
        Let me elaborate .Pattern recognition is at the core of chess.As you it can be applied to any activity requiring skill.Thats why I mentioned 'deliberate practice' in my first post.
"wired at birth to allocate capital"Thats what Buffet said(quote is from Fortune magazine and they challenged its correctness) about himself.He has the natural ability no doubt but he acquired his legendary skills by pouring over financial statements(according to Fortune magazine) just like Chess Grandmasters spend hours studying chess positions(to put it simply ).It is said that if an ordinary chess player is familiar with a 1000 (only illustrative)positions,an IM may know what to do with 10000,a GM with 100000,a super GM like Kasparov 150000.Some people have compared Kasparov with Buffet.Both have talent and skills honed by hard work.

Edited by Ajith - 05/Mar/2010 at 10:33pm
Ajith
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 05/Mar/2010 at 9:13am

Nithin,
Some people have compared Kasparov with Buffet.Both have talent and skills honed by hard work.

I read somewhere Jim Rogers studied the stock mkt first in detail later he made calls on desired commodities. Its his knowledge of the mkt which stodd him in a seperate league.

So other than fundamnetals deep insight about crowd behavious in stocks is equally important.
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2010 at 2:27pm
An amazing list of stock market truths.
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
tigershark

Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2010 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

In chess pattern recognition is the key.Higher level players are simply more familiar with more patterns.So they know what to do.In stocks also its the same.Jim Rogers knows stock market and economic history like few others and so understands and takes advantage of current situation.

Cant agree more on this, for that matter its applicable not only to investing but to many aspects in life. Pattern reconginition or big picture view or ability to connect the dots  gives one a huge advantage over other who focus too much on the operational stuff, matters which really dont matter etc etc
Simplicity is a very powerful construct.Henry Thoreau recognised this when he said, "Our life is frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify.Einstein also  recognisd the power of simplicity and it was the key to his breakthroughd in physics.he noted that the five ascending levels of intellect were,"smart(catLOL),intelligent, brilliant, genius,simple.
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
samirarora

Quote samirarora Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2010 at 3:48pm
Costlier a stock gets, more attractive it seems, but it should be the other way around.
IP IP Logged
Circuit

Quote Circuit Replybullet Posted: 02/Aug/2010 at 4:15pm
A stock price is never too high to buy and never too low to sell
Fundamentalists and anticipators may have difficulties with risk control because a trade keeps looking ‘better’ the more it goes against them....Ed Seykota
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version