Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham- Samir Arora Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 92 Next >>
India_Bull

Online Status: Offline
Quote India_Bull Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 10:21pm

Basantji and fellow board members,

If someone has access or have Samirs views on equity investment (interview/articles etc) , request to please post on this forum. I  read his interview script that I posted a no. of times and searching for the other stuff..(Google search doesnt return much )

No doubt  he was  considered as one of the brilliant in the Indian Market.
India_Bull forever Bull !
www.kapilcomedynights.com
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 8:42am

This one was there a long time back but it shows the vision of the man. He is one of the unsung heroes of the Indian bull run.

Charging bull     Business India (March 17 to 30, 2003)

Cricket has clearly overshadowed the recent Union budget. I therefore though it timely to interview the famous cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu, who believes in calling a spade a bloody shovel, for his comments on the budget and on the state of our markets________

Q: What is your view on the reform progress in India?

A: Reforms in India are flowing like a river – simply unstoppable. They are running like an Indian taxi meter.

Q: What is your assessment of the latest Indian budget?

A: The Indian budget is laying the foundation for a strong economy and has maintained its thrust on reforms. I think that our finance minister has understood what I have been saying for years, ‘Great feathers make great birds’. The recent Indian budget was like chicken biryani with lots of chicken.

Q: Why is the market not reacting positively to all this?

A: These days, the markets are swinging like a rubber ball in a tidal wave. Good budget, decent valuations and low interest rates are countered by the current uncertainty in Iraq. But in the end you know that the stockmarket is like a wife – you never know which way she will turn.

Another problem with the Indian market is the complete absence of the domestic retail and institutional investors. Investors and fund manager are moving from stock to stock and sector to sector without any fresh money being invested. These investors have made our stocks like bicycles in a cycle stand – one falls down and then all of them go down.

Q: What is your message to all the investors who have lost so much money in the last few years?

A: I will tell the investors to have faith and to bear with the current bearishness. Do not give any honey to the bears by selling your stocks. These days a bear is looking more like a cheshire cat that’s had loads of cream. Some day very soon, the bulls are going to make mincemeat of the bears and eat them with tomato sauce. Bulls are going to crush the bears and they will need a hanky at that time.

Q: What are your favourite sectors in the current environment and particularly after considering the impact of the budget?

A: I like the banking sector at these levels. Low valuations, high (tax free) dividends and major reforms in the sector should provide for strong returns.

I continue to remain bullish on the Indian IT sector including the high growth BPO stocks. The Indian IT sector is globally competitive and increasing its share against all foreign competitors like an elephant trampling the paddy fields. The Indian BPO sector, on the other hand, is as innocent as a freshly laid egg, which will grow into a very fat hen one day.

Q: What is your view on cement stocks?

A: Although there is lot of consolidation in this sector, the Indian cement sector is like an Indian three-wheeler, which sucks a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30. Performance of these stocks is as erratic as electricity supply in an Indian summer.

Q: What is your view on the State owned units?

A: It looks that we were earlier traveling on the Indian roads and are now traveling on the German Autobahn. Well, may be not the German Autobahn but definitely not an Indian road either.

Q: What about debt investments at this stage?

A: With interest rates at historic lows, investors will slowly start shifting to equity as global uncertainty comes down post any action on Iraq. Debt investments are like an open soda bottle whose gas is over.

Q: What will you tell investors who have all their money invested in debt and zero in equity?

A: You know it’s very difficult to kill a man who is hell bent upon committing suicide. Any investors with such an extreme allocation to debt (versus equity) will look like a brooding hen over a china egg in the long term.

Q: Should investors invest directly or use mutual funds to make their investments?

A: I hope that investors know that all that comes from a cow is not milk. You need professional managers just like when you are dining with the demon you’ve got to have a long spoon.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 8:55am
This line stands out
---------

I hope that investors know that all that comes from a cow is not milk. You need professional managers just like when you are dining with the demon you’ve got to have a long spoon.
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
vip1

Quote vip1 Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 10:23am
Some day very soon, the bulls are going to make mincemeat of the bears and eat them with tomato sauce. Bulls are going to crush the bears and they will need a hanky at that time.

These words said in March 2003 and the Greatest Bull Run starts 3 months down the Line. That is a Visionary.

Edited by vip1 - 07/Jan/2007 at 10:23am
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:25am
Just a thought culled out from Samir Arora's interview:

"The price of certainity is very high in stock markets"

Very applicable for IOL.After reading in the forum, I also have been following this stock from 100, but then it moved in filters only and I never tried to evaluate completely for want of numbers/execution ability et. The result is that it is a 3 bagger from thereon
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:38am
"The price of certainity is very high in stock markets" -
Yes, translated in simple stock market terminology it means sectors or companies that have high growth visibility will trade at higher PE's. No wonder HDFC Bank was always an over priced stock for the last 12 years and people argued over valuations while the investor made a 30 bagger.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:51am
Also

"The maximum money is made when there is maximum flux"
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 08/Jan/2007 at 12:10pm
Also
-------
Debt investments are like an open soda bottle whose gas is over.

BasantJi a request....highlight these lines in the above interview by editing them. I think that would be good and save space also.
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 92 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version