Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Direct tax code: Tax liability and you Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Monkey

Online Status: Offline
Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 03/Oct/2009 at 5:07pm
Link from Ministry of Finance where you can give your opinion on direct tax code. This does not mention LTCG tax though.

and another one from MoF where one can post comment.

I urge everyone to do the needful in everyone's interest.
IP IP Logged
bihisello

Quote bihisello Replybullet Posted: 15/Jun/2010 at 11:46am
What about DTC II? No comments? All izz well?
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 12:04pm
Right now people at TED are busy counting their cash. They wil deal with all this later onBig%20smile

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
bihisello

Quote bihisello Replybullet Posted: 16/Jun/2010 at 1:12pm
DTC 2.0: Experts puzzled by new steps, say devil in details

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/economy/dtc-20-experts-puzzled-by-new-steps-say-devildetails_464279.html

and this is more for share investors:
DTC 2.0: How will new capital gains tax impact investors?
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/dtc-20-how-will-new-capital-gains-tax-impact-investors_464384.html

Edited by bihisello - 16/Jun/2010 at 1:20pm
IP IP Logged
bijoy_ajj

Quote bijoy_ajj Replybullet Posted: 29/Jun/2010 at 10:40am
Does this means... tax charged on short term gains and long term gains are the same (depends only on the income slab)?.. So no point taking position for long term for tax gains??.
IP IP Logged
student_55

Quote student_55 Replybullet Posted: 20/Jul/2010 at 1:55am
Hello,

I worked for more than 2 years and paid tax during the years 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. I worked till July 2009 and became a student again. The salary income I earned in the period from April 2009 to July 2010 is less than 1 lakh and is not taxable. During the period April 2009 to March 2010, I had some Short Term Capital Gains, Tax payable would be 15% on the capital gains or is it 10%?

Secondly, I am also paying my fees for the full time course that I am pursuing now out of the capital gains during this year. Do I get any tax exemption for the same?

Thirdly, what is the last date to pay tax for the year 2009-2010.

Last, which ITR form do I need to fill up to file my tax return, as I have salary income as well as Short Term and Long Term Capital Gains.
IP IP Logged
anthro

Quote anthro Replybullet Posted: 20/Jul/2010 at 11:00am

I worked for more than 2 years and paid tax during the years 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. I worked till July 2009 and became a student again. The salary income I earned in the period from April 2009 to July 2010 is less than 1 lakh and is not taxable. During the period April 2009 to March 2010, I had some Short Term Capital Gains, Tax payable would be 15% on the capital gains or is it 10%?

Tax exempt limit for FY 2009-2010 was Rs.165000 for males.If its less then you pay no tax on salary income . However on short term capital gains irrespective of whether you are in the zero or 10% or 20% or 30% slab , you pay short term capital gains tax at 15% only . This is the position as of now . This will change once the DTC comes into effect .

Secondly, I am also paying my fees for the full time course that I am pursuing now out of the capital gains during this year. Do I get any tax exemption for the same?

No exemption can be claimed - Remember that you get exemption for education related expenses only on the interest paid to service an educational loan taken from a recognised lending institution.

Thirdly, what is the last date to pay tax for the year 2009-2010.

Last date to file return is 31st July . You can remit tax even now - however do not forget to add the penalty along with the tax payable .Penalty is applicable if tax has not been remitted on due dates . I see no advance tax applicable in your case.

Last, which ITR form do I need to fill up to file my tax return, as I have salary income as well as Short Term and Long Term Capital Gains.
ITR 2

Who can use this Return Form ITR 2

This Return Form is to be used by an individual or an Hindu Undivided Family whose total income for the assessment year 2010-11 includes:-

(a) Income from Salary / Pension; or

(b) Income from House Property; or

(c) Income from Capital Gains; or

(c) Income from Other Sources (including Winning from Lottery and Income from Race Horses)..

Further, in a case where the income of another person like spouse, minor child, etc. is to be clubbed with the income of the assessee, this Return Form can be used where such income falls in any of the above categories.

Who cannot use this Return Form ITR 2

This Return Form should not be used by an individual whose total income for the assessment year 2010-11 includes Income from Business or Profession.

Regards
Anthro

IP IP Logged
anthro

Quote anthro Replybullet Posted: 20/Jul/2010 at 11:02am
Bijoy

Let us await the final DTC post parliament approval - as per draft you get a deduction for long term capital gains - how much is that deduction is not yet specified .

Regards
Anthro
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version