Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Security - Going about it. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
ravibhoopal
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote ravibhoopal Replybullet Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 12:01pm
Hi,

This is a great thread as it exactly reflects the mid life crisis any urban man goes through Clap.  As far as I am concerned these are my thoughts.

a) One can start chasing his dream and try out anything he wants to, provided he does not have any dependents and he is the only one who will suffer it there is a  downside and he has the perseverence to withstand pain and the grind.
b) If one has dependents who look up to him to earn the livelihood, then there is no other option but to first financialy secure the future of his family and then start chasing the dreams. Age should not be a bar for chasing ones dreams, passion is the only criteria. If you have passion then you get the energy to do it no matter what ones age is. Eg. KFC and Colonel Sanders.
c) How much is required to achieve financial security depends on the inviduals current spending needs and the income stream that is available. Basic idea is there should not be any change to the living standard when one stops working the regular job. Any market fluctuations should not affect this income. Eg. Interest from bank, house rent etc.  If one already owns a house and its fetching income the he needs to only invest a lesser amount in bank based on the shortfall between the average monthly expenses and the rent earned.
d) Any other surplus fund should be allocated towards capital appreciation like stocks and mutual funds which can gyrate in the short term viciously but in the long term are the best capital appreciation. They are the best hedge against inflation. Periodically, when big profits are booked, some amount should be moved from this to the secured return investments if there is requirement to take care of higher monthly spending needs as well as other planned needs like kids college or marriage. One should not wait for the last year to take out money from this as we do not know what the market situation would be in that year. This may force one to sell when one should be buying..(opportunity cost) which would have a huge dent to the portfolio.
e) By following this strategy one can not only chase their passion or dream, they can also ensure that they have not sacrificed their family interest in doing so. Once we are financially free we can keep trying all the dreams that we have in mind to stick to the one that we think is the purpose for which we are born.

I am not sure if this makes sense to others..Smile but that is the way I look at it as every individuals position and dream and thought process is different.

Cheers
Ravi

You think you can or you can't both ways you are right
IP IP Logged
studentoflife

Quote studentoflife Replybullet Posted: 09/Feb/2010 at 7:10am

Deleted

Edited by ramprakashs - 10/Feb/2010 at 4:18am
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 11/Feb/2010 at 11:47pm
well said ravi.
all,i have one more question on the same lines. (sorry about that). my question is how should one approach the professional life during the process of achieving it. we all like to get good hikes, promotions etc. and we tend to ignore investing. so what i feel is, we should keep a low profile in the job  (forget about promotions etc), and spend some quality time in investing and tracking the investment. what do you guys feel?. I know this is easier said than done. because, if you are good performer and have a good name, then obviously you want to live up to that. But i feel, this  approach will be of help in the long run. Just to give my own example, i started very late. I haven't made any substantial gains so far. But have learnt quite a lot during this time. I see that none of my colleagues(and my manager too) know anything about any financial products/investing etc. And in genaral we see the mass buying things like ULIPS, ( and so many ULIP based products with names like child plan,retirement etc etc), conventional life insurance policies, overvalued flats, etc etc.

IP IP Logged
studentoflife

Quote studentoflife Replybullet Posted: 11/Feb/2010 at 1:54am
Originally posted by tejas.k

well said ravi.
all,i have one more question on the same lines. (sorry about that). my question is how should one approach the professional life during the process of achieving it. we all like to get good hikes, promotions etc. and we tend to ignore investing. so what i feel is, we should keep a low profile in the job  (forget about promotions etc), and spend some quality time in investing and tracking the investment. what do you guys feel?. I know this is easier said than done. because, if you are good performer and have a good name, then obviously you want to live up to that. But i feel, this  approach will be of help in the long run. Just to give my own example, i started very late. I haven't made any substantial gains so far. But have learnt quite a lot during this time. I see that none of my colleagues(and my manager too) know anything about any financial products/investing etc. And in genaral we see the mass buying things like ULIPS, ( and so many ULIP based products with names like child plan,retirement etc etc), conventional life insurance policies, overvalued flats, etc etc. 

Yes you have mentioned an important point.
For example many people would have reached half way to their financial independence in the last one year itself..Some good stocks were so cheap  and have been multibaggers in a few months...
If there had been FOCUS.......

Edited by ramprakashs - 11/Feb/2010 at 1:55am
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 11/Feb/2010 at 11:57am
@ Tejas
You correctly pointed out that people run behind these crap things like ULIPs, Insurance plans, over valuated assets.

Best thing is get a term plan, and invest rest amount in mkt..

Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2010 at 12:34pm
@stockportfolio
that's rite. in fact i myself insist my friends/relatives on buying term plan for insurance. but the first question they ask is how much u get back after 20 (or the policy duration) years. since u don't get any money back, they conclude its waste. but they don't realize that a combination of MF and Term plan will be a lot better from both investment and insurance point of view.
IP IP Logged
ravibhoopal
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ravibhoopal Replybullet Posted: 12/Feb/2010 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by tejas.k

well said ravi.

Hi,

Again, this is my personal view point.  I think one should take a call based on what they cherish and where their goals are. Its very difficult to be focussing on too many things and try to achieve great results everywhere.  We would become jack of all trades and master of none. I was chasing career growth in the beginning of my career having goals that I should make it big in my life in my career which made me move from defence force to the  corporate world and I had some successes too. But, I stopped for  moment and thought where I was going.  I felt I was getting sucked into a rat race which would never end. Call it mid life crisis or whatever.  So, I took this conscious decision to concentrate more on my investment portfolio to gain financial and personal freedom and I have to let go off my career goals which was harming me than helping me. Now as you mentioned I have conciously taken a path where i get paid well but does not have too much responsibility as I dont care about promotions anymore and would like to stop working for someone in the near future. There are lots of people who take exactly the opposite route like they want to go very high in the corporate ladder but dont care about their family or thier investments. There is nothing right or wrong in it until the person goes and achieve whatever their goal is. Irony is when people do not achieve anything. Like they may have a very high flying career and they never thought or took care of their investments or their family and when they retire they realize that they are screwed with nowhere to go. All those great things that they achieve while working vanished into thin air as they never knew how to keep money or handle family relationships.

Regards
Ravi

Edited by ravibhoopal - 12/Feb/2010 at 9:21pm
You think you can or you can't both ways you are right
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 13/Feb/2010 at 7:07pm
thats a great post ravi. thank you.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic