Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: All multibaggers started with small market cap Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Mar/2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by psimajin

Originally posted by kulman

the scope of this becoming a 5 bagger is low. That is because if it  become a  5 bagger it would have a mcap of US $ 1.5 billion.

I generally like looking at companies with a 10 times increase in mcap and then asking myself the question. Does it make sense?

-----------------------------------------
This is certainly a great way of looking at stocks.

I have a small query: Bharti Airtel's current mkt cap is Rs. 1,46,000 Crores. Would it trade at Rs. 4,38,000 Crores Mkt Cap in next 2-3 years?

I didnt invest in Bharti coz it had 70,000 Cr Mkt cap, Got out of R.Com at m/cap of 60,000 Cr. Both the stock have doubled since.

Yes, I have thought about that. That is why I keep saying that at Rs 1500-Rs 2000 we would reach terminal value for Bharti Airtel. ANything more then that does not seem possible as of now.

At Rs 438,000 it would be around Rs 2300+ and that looks streched.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
tigershark

Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 13/Mar/2007 at 8:15pm
what could be the mkt cap of viceroy hotels lets say 3-4 yrs from now and close to rj point of entry does it make sense to add more since the initial recomendation was around 91
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:20pm
TEDies, comments/views on this please.....

It is common knowledge that India Inc. has had its dream run since the early years of this decade and this has been well manifested in the valuations accorded to them in the equity markets. While the corporate growth has been holistic with contribution from companies across sectors, select majors in each of the sectors have made their presence felt.

A comparison of the compounded annual growth clocked by a sample of few sectors selected by us to the compounded annual growth in the market share of the top few companies in those sectors, gives us an interesting perspective on this. While it is a given that the low base effect has magnified the growth numbers for the smaller companies, it is also worthwhile noting that a few of the companies have displaced some of their larger counterparts in the respective product segments by clocking relatively superior level and quality of growth.

The trailblazers
%Marketshare FY01 FY03 FY06 CAGR
Cement (Rsm) 220,062 234,042 330,139 8.5%
Grasim+Ultratech* 9.8 11.6 21.1 16.6%
ACC 11.9 10.3 11.3 -1.0%
GujaratAmbuja 5.9 6.7 9.2 9.3%
Detergents (Rsm) 51,788 44,785 53,547 0.7%
HLL 35.9 43.1 40.4 2.4%
Nirma 21.4 21.6 20.3 -1.0%
P&GHealth&Hygeine 2.3 2.7 6.2 21.9%
Fabrics (Rsm) 1,483,679 1,559,295 1,689,418 2.6%
ArvindMills 0.7 0.8 0.8 2.7%
AlokIndustries 0.3 0.5 0.5 10.8%
Raymond 0.1 0.1 0.2 14.9%
Hotels (Rsm) 40,775 39,543 65,541 10.0%
IndianHotels 16.9 14.4 16.5 -0.5%
EIH 11.7 9.7 11.5 -0.3%
ITC 3.3 4.9 11.9 29.2%
Passengercars (Rsm) 169,973 189,800 331,989 14.3%
Maruti 48.2 44.5 41.6 -2.9%
HyundaiMotorIndia 17.0 20.0 23.7 6.9%
TataMotors 7.3 11.4 13.6 13.3%
Pharmaceuticals (Rsm) 320,618 368,652 461,152 7.5%
Ranbaxy 5.9 8.6 8.7 8.1%
Cipla 3.3 4.2 6.5 14.5%
Dr.Reddy's 3.0 4.6 4.7 9.4%
Steel (Rsm) 492,750 618,453 1,172,113 18.9%
SAIL 28.1 27.6 24.3 -2.9%
TataSteel 9.2 11.4 10.4 2.5%
JSWSteel 2.7 3.8 5.2 14.0%
Software (Rsm) 216,849 278,363 504,850 18.4%
TCS N.A. N.A. 21.2  
Infosys 8.8 13.0 17.9 15.2%
Wipro 8.2 11.0 16.3 14.7%
Source:CMIE Industry market size and shares - March 2007
* The market share of Grasim for FY06 includes that of Ultratech (9.4%)

In case of manufacturing companies like Grasim, capacity addition (standalone as well as acquisition of Ultra Tech) and higher utilisation levels apart from better realisations and improved efficiency has helped the company report stronger numbers. While Ultra Tech was one of the major propellers of the company's growth, savings in operating costs resulting from ongoing modernisation efforts, up-gradation of plants and energy optimisation have aided the gain in market share.

Similar capex led volume game was the case with JSW Steel in the steel sector. In the detergent market, P&G Health & Hygiene's 'Tide' garnered better realisations as compared to peer HLL's 'Surf Excel' and 'Rin', thus scoring higher over the latter. The strong performance of the company was also on the back of focused marketing initiatives and deeper distribution.

Both Raymond and Tata Motors derived the benefits of 'exclusivity' in their respective sectors by regularly launching new products and catering to a niche segment. Cipla, on the other hand, focused on stability of revenues through its contract manufacturing business, against the volatile generic business (subject to pricing pressure) of its peers Ranbaxy and Dr. Reddy's.

Players in the service sectors, like Infosys (software) and ITC (hotels), focused on expanding their capacities in terms of employees and rooms. Better pricing power in terms of billing rates and average room rentals (ARR) respectively, also supported their case.

The point that we wish to drive home is that while companies with bigger balance sheets, higher turnover and wider reach may offer a comfortable hedge in times of short term volatility, the smaller and equally promising entities may seize a larger chunk of the growth pie in the longer term.

Thus instead of concentrating only on the blue chips, investors must also evaluate the prospects of some of the smaller entities in the sector that have an equally compelling business model, with the potential to generate higher growth and returns as compared to their larger counterparts. The catch also lies in the fact that you may find the most opportune moment to buy the Infosys' and HLLs in the making at attractive valuations!

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:43pm
What I find interesting in this is that the sectors discussed above are not the ones we keep concentrating here. No media, no retail, no telecom, no private banking, no embedded insurance plays.

Are they still not in the popular category? If that is so then this is a very good signal.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 4:48pm

Good piece.... as they say Small is Beautiful!!!!!

However, if you get a big thing at the price of a small thing.... thats the bst bargain..... and if you get a small thing at the price of a big thing..... its a total avoid.
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 11:21pm
I definitely feel that midcaps will selectively outperform to an even greater degree over the medium-term.Bharti is overpriced considering the projected 2010 PE,I believe.Reliance is the one large cap that has the potential to outperform and be a safe very modest multibagger over the next 6 years.

Edited by Ajith - 25/Mar/2007 at 11:41pm
Ajith
IP IP Logged
xbox

Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 5:29am
I strongly believe that we will get better price point to purchase our favourite shares in next 2-3 months.
Don't bet on pig after all bull & bear in circle.
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 25/Mar/2007 at 8:59am
Isn't this trying to TIME THE MARKET ?

I also had the same feeling, but then converted my cash to stocks ... who knows we might just keep waiting for years/infinity/bear_mrkts, in order to achieve lower/better price points for our favourite shares.

The biggest dilemma i have is NOT which stocks to buy, is NOT whether my portfolio is justified for higher returns, BUT IS ALWAYS, that when i add to my portfolio .. i do NOT know if i COULD have added it more by buying at lower levels later ....

and i have come to terms and accepted this dilemma ... since i have almost given up timing the market for my buying price points ...

Cheers,
Prosperity !

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version