Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Message Icon Topic: Query Board Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Shadofax

Online Status: Offline
Quote Shadofax Replybullet Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:22pm
Query from my side:

How can we determine the Expected EV/EBITDA Multiple to be gievn to a company?

What is its relation with the 3 to 5 yrs growth of the company?
$
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Shadofax

Query from my side:

How can we determine the Expected EV/EBITDA Multiple to be gievn to a company?

What is its relation with the 3 to 5 yrs growth of the company?

EV/EBIDTA is an engineered way of looking at the PE ratio! But to determine what EV?EBIDTA is fair and what is unfair is a matter of subjective judgment and will be based on how we determine the fair PE of any stock.

Normally the PE should be equal to growth so we can use this logic for determining the EV?EBIDTA also.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Shadofax

Quote Shadofax Replybullet Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:43pm
Okay Regarding my query on Ev/Ebitda multiple .... It is w.r.t this company

Please have a look at Halonix Ltd.
-----------------------------------
In a nutshell: 

-They are in the process of selling their loss making unit of General Lighting Business. (50% sales from that). They will sell it at book value of 75 cr. Buyer is ready.

- Halonix have also acquired 2 distributors in Europe who sell Automotive lights. But the value is not knows. But not more than 75cr will be spent on this acquisitions. They have given resons about how this acquisition is a strategic one (Forward integration)

Valuation Rationale / Logic 
Assuming EV/EBITDA = 8x (Now here is where I am confused... what shoudl be the multiple.)

Therefore, EV = 400 crores (Atleast) 
Cash = 75 cr (sales from proceeds from General lighting business which is loss making) 
Debt = 65 crores for the profit making entity 

400 = Mcap + 65 - 75 - 14 (cash on BS)
Expected MCAP = 429 crores - 75 crores (max for the acquisition of Distributers businesses in EU) = 354 crores
Current Mcap = 300 crores 

So even with all the conservative figures there is 18% upside

Conservative because: 
a. EV/EBITDA multiple of 8 (a few whom I consulted told me it should be atleast 10 .. buy y I dont know.)
b. Assuming no growth from the segment of Automotive lights which was 15% to 20% last year.
c. Assuming that the business bought in EU will give 0 (zero) profit to Halonix. 

-----
See if someone can provide a view on Ev/ Ebitda multiple .. what should it be for a company which is in Lighting sector. And how do we justify it.

The management is comparitively clean (its Actis Private Equity with 66% stake)
$
IP IP Logged
Shadofax

Quote Shadofax Replybullet Posted: 13/Aug/2010 at 3:50pm
Last year the company's Automotive division grew at 15%
and according to company guidance it will grow by 20% this year.

But thats company guidance...
$
IP IP Logged
Catalyst
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Catalyst Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 12:49pm

To add to what Basantji said on PE analogy, to apply it on EV/EBIDTA multiple, As a thumb rule, EV/EBIDTA should be around 60% of the fair PE, this is to allow for Interest, Depreciation and Taxes.

The rationale is, think of a company as a debt-free cash-free company (hence the EV would be equal to Mcap).

Assume it is growing at a CAGR of 20%. the fair PE would be 20 (PEG of 1), Considering that it does a PAT of Rs.100 cr. The Mcap would be Rs.2000 cr

Now do some backward calculation to arrive at EBIDTA, at full corporate tax rate of around 33% and some deprecation (there won’t be any other income or interest expense as it’s a debt-free cash-free company), the EBIDTA should be around Rs.160 cr.

Now if you give it an EV/EBIDTA of 20, the company’s value will go upto Rs.3200 cr, which would be very high. Giving it an EV/EBIDTA of 12 (60% of fair PE), the valuation will work out to be Rs.1920 cr (around the fair PE valuation).

One can do it with assuming some debt (for which Interest expense will also come in picture) but more or less the EV/EBIDTA would fall in 60% ballpark of fair PE.

What’s Euphoria, think of it as obscenity. Though its probably impossible to formulate a test for Obscenity but you know when you see it.
IP IP Logged
Shadofax

Quote Shadofax Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 2:15pm
Thx Catalyst
$
IP IP Logged
EquityInv

Quote EquityInv Replybullet Posted: 22/Aug/2010 at 9:38am
What does "Deferred Tax Assets" and "Deferred Tax Liability" means in laymans term? How does it impact financials/business? Is it bad sign if company have very high ratio Deferred Tax Liability/Deferred tax Assets?
One of the best rules anybody can learn about investing is to do nothing, absolutely nothing, unless there is something to do – James Rogers
IP IP Logged
fuzzylogic

Quote fuzzylogic Replybullet Posted: 29/Sep/2010 at 6:31pm
Hello friends. i have bought 13,000 shares of anus laboratories ltd at the

avg price of Rs 8.5

I am in deep loss and i am holding this script since last year. Kindly guide

me out through this trouble.

should i book loss? and invest somewhere else or is there any hope to

at least get my money recovered.

thanking you all for your valuable time and guidance.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version