Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: What's your most profound learning/insight? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
manish_okhade

Online Status: Offline
Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 6:46am

Control your temperament, when one has the cash then instead of putting it in mediocre type opportunity better to wait for outstanding opportunity to come at your doorsteps.

Outstanding opportunity occurs occassionaly so one should be ready with enough cash to take a plunge.

IP IP Logged
Vrishali

Quote Vrishali Replybullet Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 7:17am
Superior investment returns are not gained without PAIN, TIME, INTROSPECTION and DOUBT.
"Diversification is a protection against ignorance. It makes little sense for those who know what they're doing."
- Warren Buffet
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 16/Jan/2010 at 10:52am
Originally posted by rapidriser

Cash is king. It gives you a chance to buy cheap when everyone else is selling in panic.

Rapidriser, Could you kindly elaborate around your plan to preserve cash for crashes?

Smartcat has outlined a plan around this.

Personally, I am also reserving a fraction of new money to buy broad market indices at PE of 13, 12, 11, 10, 9.....right now doing FDs which i'll break if such an eventuallity arises.........

Edited by subu76 - 16/Jan/2010 at 10:53am
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 2:01pm
http://blogs.wsj.com/financial-adviser/2010/02/25/ten-things-i-learned-while-trading-for-victor-niederhoffer/

I could have pasted the above article but not sure if that would be approved
by equitydesk administrators.
 Some of the points match my recent insights.
 I was just a casual chess player. I  took it seriously 6 months back and am studying the deep theoretical aspects as well as playing high level tournaments. I think it has helped my decision making in stocks immensely.I am comparing the 2 activities and learning a lot on what to focus on in investments.After all pattern recognition is the needed skill in both.
  Also,I am studying deliberate practice as applied to chess and investments.
Ajith
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 2:26pm
Ajith,

It benefits all if you share your chess parallalism to investing with some your successful investment story.
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 4:26pm
manish_okhade,
Personally,I think I have become sharper(and calmer because high level chess is very stressful) and started to think in new ways.For instance,I instinctively felt Trent was being manipulated just before warrant delisting and exited completely at peak price much against my logical thinking.
 More about the parallels later.
Ajith
IP IP Logged
SORUB

Quote SORUB Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 7:00pm
keep things simple. take your time and plan well
K.I.S.S(keep it simple silly) is the most easy management formula i ever came across!!! but it is very hard to follow!!!
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2010 at 8:43pm
manish_okhade,
                            In chess pattern recognition is the key.Higher level players are simply more familiar with more patterns.So they know what to do.In stocks also its the same.Jim Rogers knows stock market and economic history like few others and so understands and takes advantage of current situation.
 Also,there is a saying-Stock market is an expensive place to find out who you are.Chess is far cheaper to learn those lessons.As Kasparov says weakness of character  is reflected in your chess.I learnt that I am often impulsive.That I must rely more on my powerful subconscious.While playing important tournaments,I move away from the scene every now and then even in complex situations.When I come back often I notice something new and important instantly.Therefore,Its more than a month since I visited the broker as the trading screen just confuses me and supresses my subconscious.So no more decisions in front of the screen.Earlier,I used to go to the broker at least  twice a week and take important decisions sitting in front of the screen.
Ajith
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version