Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: Jim's message to the visitors at.theequitydesk.com Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 2:13pm
I have NOT seen the video and Dont have any intensions of seeing it either. Jim has made money and has made it to "Market Wizards" list by Hard Work and descipline and its the performance only which counts. 

Mr UM dosent even get a chance to host sitting along side "Maria".

Investor - What Rogers said may be dosent make sense today, but could make sense 10-Years later!

He says "Invest in Woman -- they are going to be the most scarce commodity after 10 years!!!" He is one of the smartest "Investor" going around currently. If one had "followed" Jim throught his career then he would have made a fortune.

Even if one had follwed Jim from 2000 and the commodities rally, he would have outperformed the sensex. Sensex has given an approximate 15% compounded return from the 2000 top and the commodities index (CRB - EX Crude) has given a 30% compounded return with lower volatility in the same period.

Our TV's can say anything just for TRP's.

If one can, then one can just ask TV18 to play a video from their archive the day Bajaj Demerger was announced. UM had said "I can see Bajaj quoting at 3000+" and 20 minutes later, the stock was at 2200 down 20% from its highs.

You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 2:18pm
TEDdy's...also dont forget the Hype around India and the Hype on Commodities! They are clearly different!
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by kulman

Though I didn't watch that interview or UM's reactions, I have always suspected: He ain't Jim, he's DIM Rogers.

Kulman...Nor his wife a chinease and he is NOT Dim Rogers. He is "Bright" Rogers if any one can himself see.

TEDdy's....If I can recommed a quote for you all to learn today..it would be

Dont confuse Brains with a Bull Market!!!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 4:54pm
Mohan jee....thanks for the video link. That was quite a reaction by Udayan Babu. His co-anchor had to ask him: "What did you have for breakfast?"

I'm exteremely sorry about getting it wrong about Jim Roger's wife. I should have refrained from making such comment without any confirmation.

And BubbleVision, that quote is an excellent one to remind the realities. Reminds of a similar one: “Success makes a fool seem wise.”- H.G. Bohn.

I recall having read somewhere an extended version of that quote though....
Dont confuse Brains with a Bull Market....and Tukka with Technique!!!

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
investor

Quote investor Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 5:12pm
Yes, even Damani keeps mentioning on his chats when people praise or congratulate him on his picks doing well 
"In a bull market, everyone seems like an expert"  Tongue

Originally posted by kulman

And BubbleVision, that quote is an excellent one to remind the realities. Reminds of a similar one: “Success makes a fool seem wise.”- H.G. Bohn.

I recall having read somewhere an extended version of that quote though....
Dont confuse Brains with a Bull Market....and Tukka with Technique!!!

The market is a place where people with money meet people with experience.
The people with experience get the money while people with money get experience!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 9:10pm
He says "Invest in Woman -- they are going to be the most scarce commodity after 10 years!!!" He is one of the smartest "Investor" going around currently. If one had "followed" Jim throught his career then he would have made a fortune.

----------------------------------------------------------

Is there a way to go long/short to profit from this trend?Wacko

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
tigershark

Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 10:25pm
we will all have to invest in a very young woman whats the point in investing in someone whos 30-35 in 10 yrs she becoms45! sofind out the age correctly ---problem no woman will ever tell you her correct age
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 03/Jul/2007 at 3:01am

Bubble,
I am with you. Jim is one of the few geniues investors. He is ORIGINAL thinker and his knowledge abt markets is unbelievable. I haven't seen anybody who can see as far as he can.

I couldn't open that link so don't know what happened and Jim has been wrong on Indina market but some of his points are eye opening. Investors generally don't like if somebody tells them that mkt will go down. It is like 'Kill the messenger' story. TV Anchors' primary job is pumping. If investors start taking direction from TV anchors God Bless Them. They will never tell you two things. 1. Don't watch TV. 2. Don't buy shares.

Guys, it always helps to keep open mind. Consider the scenario, if(or when) Oil goes to $100 or $125, what would happen to mkts? I don't think people on the streets or on the wallstreets or 10 Janpath Steet have realisation about possibilities. In '73 and '74 an investor as astute as Charlie Munger was down by 40% and 30%. Those were years of oil shock. He could bounce back but many could not. I am not declaring end of bull market here. It is just watch out for possibility of it.

Jim is HIGHLY opionionated and he is biased. He is very blunt. I have met Jim at his home and it was not very nice experience even if I did not disagree with what he said. But it doesn't mean I won't pay attention to what he says. If you guys are mad at him and wants to ignore him, well that is your choice.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version