Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Equity Research Analysts - Whats the job like? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
anthro

Online Status: Offline
Quote anthro Replybullet Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by TCSer

Best course is as Basant ji says stick to a job where work hours n pressure is bearable

Unlike say a decade back today's pvt sector companies does not allow you to "go slow" or work below your potential or "take it easy i do not want promotions i am happy as i am " . So unless you are in a clerical position or in a govt job or say a psu bank this is difficult if you are already in a senior position in private sector .At least in pvt sector the options seem to be either go up or go out ! Even if one lands up a stress free managerial job in pvt sector that demands 8 hours he will still need to allot 10 hours per day including commuting and with 8 hrs for sleep and 2 hrs for family ? ?

is it so easy to get a stress free 9 to 5 job in pvt sector that pays say 50000 per month ? I am  not sure. 

IP IP Logged
values

Quote values Replybullet Posted: 17/Mar/2011 at 11:13am
I tend to disagree a little there. There are always options of working from home in today/s environment when commuting is so hard in terms of distance, traffic etc etc. I think you can finish ur work even in less than those 8 hours or so that you say, because come to think of it, i dont think we are productive for the most part of those hours anyway. Its about working smarter and not working so hard-er. And in today's environment when you have access to so much technology with internet and news virtually 24/7 you can more than make up for the time and get to do what you like. Moreover you always have 2 days off in pvt. sector jobs to wind and loosen up for the week ahead.

Originally posted by anthro

Originally posted by TCSer

Best course is as Basant ji says stick to a job where work hours n pressure is bearable

Unlike say a decade back today's pvt sector companies does not allow you to "go slow" or work below your potential or "take it easy i do not want promotions i am happy as i am " . So unless you are in a clerical position or in a govt job or say a psu bank this is difficult if you are already in a senior position in private sector .At least in pvt sector the options seem to be either go up or go out ! Even if one lands up a stress free managerial job in pvt sector that demands 8 hours he will still need to allot 10 hours per day including commuting and with 8 hrs for sleep and 2 hrs for family ? ?

is it so easy to get a stress free 9 to 5 job in pvt sector that pays say 50000 per month ? I am  not sure. 

Knowledge is power!
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 11:27pm
Hours required in office is a function of one's industry, position in hierarchy and job description (individual contributor vs people manager etc), upsides that one can visualize in his/her job etc

The brighter side of being in an engrossing job is that the urge to check stock quotes or to trade goes away fully since one can't indulge in the distraction.

While it reduces the time required to analyze stocks if you're one stock/year kind of guy it does not matter at all

When one is tense about not spending time with stocks one can take comfort from WB's saying that inactivity in the stock market creates wealth

It's ok to look at buying a stock as similar to buying a house....all stars need to align for a deal to go through

Let's not forget that we'll get a bear market every few years when all stocks will sell at a big discount

Edited by subu76 - 18/Mar/2011 at 11:35pm
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by basant

Brilliant. Most of the 25 year olds lock themselves in buying a new car and a new home and spend the next several years paying back the cost of pre-poned luxory.

Basant Sir..I don't know about a house but a good car (the more expensive the merrier) is extremely important for extracurricular activities at this age Wink

It's money well spent Smile

Edited by subu76 - 18/Mar/2011 at 11:44pm
IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 12:31pm
CrazyHorse, great work indeed !
I would say that every bit of description is very correct. Can't agree more being in ER myself. I did leave my consulting job last yr to to make a move to ER in an MNC and I would say that I'm still learning everyday and not unhappy as such but many guys who started career here after MBA are not happy and want to move to consulting !!! This world is round. I really enjoyed my consulting career except the travel which was the primary reason to move. I could see my family on weekends only and breaking point reached one day but life is more or less similar here.
few things came as real shocker to me like most of the analysts are very poor in investing own money. Very very few have read books on value investing let alone following it.every colleague of mine has bought a home even if he is unmarried and not sure where to settle.
At last most take it as career without realising that working as an analyst has got unbeatable advantage in terms of availability of tools to analyse stocks. Well, everybody has his/her goals to achieve in one lifetime and there could be many ways.

Edited by FutureBull - 18/Mar/2011 at 12:34pm
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
om2112

Quote om2112 Replybullet Posted: 18/Mar/2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by basant

I also had a v frugal lifestyle which is extremely imp. i knew 30 year old colleagues of mine who bought BMW's thinking the good times will roll on. I was saving like 70% of my post tax income because i knew i would soon be leaving this place. I was also lucky because i made a job change in 2008 with a multi year guaranteed bonus (it happened before the shit hit the fan and my new company was still expanding!!!) that contract proved v handy when things did melt down in the second half of 2008!!

Brilliant. Most of the 25 year old's lock themselves in buying a new car and a new home and spend the next several years paying back the cost of pre-poned luxury.

The investment nest should come first, a second hand car might do the trick and doesn't Buffett say that he would have been a bit more richer had he stayed on rent for his life time. I am not saying that one should not buy a home but maybe postpone it a bit till you have made a decent amount of money locked away in good businesses.

True sir,but abnormal growth in realestate prices in last five to six years make a lot of them to believe that real estate is risk free investment that gives 24 per cagr and on that we can leverage a lot.That too with out any effort and hard work.My friends and relatives questioned me rationale behind stock market investment with a lot of hard work and risk.But my impeccable belief in market motivates me to continue in market.

IP IP Logged
barla

Quote barla Replybullet Posted: 20/Mar/2011 at 4:25pm
I am trying to locate the post                -  I was saving like 70% of my post tax income because i knew i would soon be leaving this place. I was also lucky because i made a job change in 2008.

Was unscucesful.

Such maturity and discipline. If only I could have been so at that age.
IP IP Logged
Mukesh C

Quote Mukesh C Replybullet Posted: 21/Mar/2011 at 11:04am

Hi,

Need help.

Please help to understand how NAVs are calculated by equity analysts for real estate companies.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version