Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Direct tax code: Tax liability and you Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Hitesh Shah

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Monkey

All unit linked plans provide options for switching between 100% equity allocations to 100% allocations to liquid funds at anytime during duration of plan. Such features could be utilised to book equity profits and park the proceeds in liquid funds without attracting capital gains as you would not receive gains in your hands. The withdrawals then can be calibrated in line with tax bracket or it can be switched back to equity mode at appropriate time.....

Please make sure that the switch is not considered a redemption. If it is, then it is taxable, whether you get the cash in hand or not.

As things stand, if you switch your units from an equity mutual fund to a debt mutual fund run by the same fund house (within a year), you don't get the money in hand but the gains, if any, are taxable as STCG.
IP IP Logged
leo2007

Quote leo2007 Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 9:47pm
I think switching is considered as redumption for taxation purpose. I am not sure. In the case of MF we will have to choose dividend option, as dividend is not taxable.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

All unit linked plans provide options for switching between 100% equity allocations to 100% allocations to liquid funds at anytime during duration of plan. Such features could be utilised to book equity profits and park the proceeds in liquid funds without attracting capital gains as you would not receive gains in your hands. The withdrawals then can be calibrated in line with tax bracket or it can be switched back to equity mode at appropriate time.....

Please make sure that the switch is not considered a redemption. If it is, then it is taxable, whether you get the cash in hand or not.

As things stand, if you switch your units from an equity mutual fund to a debt mutual fund run by the same fund house (within a year), you don't get the money in hand but the gains, if any, are taxable as STCG.

Hitesh bhai,

I am not talking about switching from equity scheme to debt scheme.

I am talking about uinit linked plans offered by insurance companies where switching is allowed within internal options and, hence, not considered as redemption, as per my understanding.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 11:27pm

Example of the plan I am thinking is per link below

Though above plan includes insurance and, hence, not exactly per my thinking, a similar one without insurance provision will do the job.

Looking at fetures of the plan, I do not think that internal switching is considered taxable.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 11:55pm
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 8:05am

Another similar type of plan

I went through this one. These switches will be taxable, IMHO.
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 8:25am

I am talking about uinit linked plans offered by insurance companies where switching is allowed within internal options and, hence, not considered as redemption, as per my understanding.

Boss, the guys selling you the scheme want you to buy it (40% commission  on your first year's contribution?Wink). So they will assuage all your doubts with fake assurances. I know you may not be finally going for this option, but it is better to get the advice of someone like Sandeep Shanbhag, whose columns I've been reading over the years. He's good and so is Tarun Ghai.

When I had looked at the tax-implications of switching between equity and debt, the MFs had a bald disclaimer that I should consult a tax expert as individual circumstances could vary.

Finally, somewhere I got the message that a switch is a transaction to sell one set of assets and buy another and is taxable.

The only "switches" which are not taxable are the changes involving dividend payout,  dividend-reinvest or growth options. Even the starting date of your investment will be unchanged in terms of date of acquisition.
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2009 at 8:21am
Elsewhere, Monk wrote:
Well, applicable capital gain tax would be 30% considering my income and according to slabs defined in draft of direct tax code. This is what troubles me a lot.

Let me describe briefly why I oppose tax on long term capital gains.

First, let us look at process of generating long term capital gain. Person works hard to earn a living, save money by letting go of many pleasures of life and make right investment decisions. Capital gains made at the end of all this is cumulative fruit of life long hard work and prudent decisions. This type of behaviour needs to be encouraged and not punished. These gains are meant to secure good retirement life and / or enabling person to enjoy fruits. Taking cut of 30% is just no fair in my opinion.

Second and probably more important is impact on our lives. Take for example, capital raising process for long gestation project like power plant. Setting up a power plant is hell of a problem right from land acquisition onwards to dealing with all sorts of regulation while operating. Anyone putting up capital for setting up a power project takes enough risks. If things go right for the capital provider, that person should be allowed to take gains from that capital fully. Taking 30% cut from those gains might result in lot of problems in raising capital for capital intensive and long gestation projects like infrastructure exactly when these investments are acutely needed. I do not want to deprive myself and next generation, essentials of life.

Third reason is use of these taxes. Most of them will go in feeding corruption ridden utopian schemes which do next to nothing good for anyone except for political vested interests.

I welcome healthy debate on draft direct tax code and urge everyone to carefully go through draft and voice there opinion everywhere possible.

For me the draft direct tax code was like reading 21st century version of "Das Kapital".

Please also try to read the discussion on the code (which is actually an official attempt to explain the thinking behind the draft). It is available at the Fin Min link that I gave earlier. (Better access this site with Internet Explorer. When I first viewed this site with FF, the relevant link was not visible although the site opened.)

Another comment which is festering within me, is the differential interest shown in understanding the financials of a company rather than one's own!

Or is it that people are under the impression that an individual cannot make a difference?

Or, what will happen, will happen, so why take tension?

And, the specious but fallacious bromide, "I'd rather have tax problem than income problem"!

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version