Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: RIDING MULTIBAGGERS Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Kabootar

Online Status: Offline
Quote Kabootar Replybullet Posted: 29/Sep/2010 at 11:53am
Just want to illustrate the power of holding even the market leaders from these two companies my father bought way back when I was a chick:
1. Reliance Industries- bought in 1998.
Capital Appreciation: Hard to estimate because of splits, bonuses and group restructuring.
2. Videocon Ltd: 9.6 times. Holding period 15 years.

Not counting dividends etc here.

Lessons: Buy a decent company and then don't bother too much about it.

Then again, he also bought IDBI Bank... so this is not foolproof.

Edited by Kabootar - 30/Sep/2010 at 3:19pm
Verbal diarrhoea! A most deadly disease.
IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 12:15pm
I would assume that your dad after buying those stock would have forgotten about it. Otherwise people sell stocks for 10% gain.

If not that give my pranam to your father.

If someone had without going into details bought just the brand name stocks like Castrol, hawkins, TTK, EXIDE, Amarraja, BOI, Bosch, mcdowell, VIP united breweries and many many more brand name he would have beaten every emerging sector stocks plus all MF houses and rest of the analysts. The person would have made a record of 100 baggers in numbers of stocks.

The trick was just holding the stocks and avoiding the sectors plus Money to buy stocks how many of us had invest able sums then.

This gyan and lecture is with total hindsight advantage take it or leave it.

It seems just like in life in stock markets too simplicity in thinking wins every time.

Edited by chimak10 - 30/Sep/2010 at 12:21pm
IP IP Logged
go4sheel

Quote go4sheel Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 12:18pm
Rallis was laggard for nearly 4 years from from 2005 to 2009 at around Rs.250, its only before that and after that it has appreciated.

Its more dependent on how economy grows.

So if economy slumps in near future it will go down again.

So a company which has grown consistently can be regarded a true multibagger for long period time.
IP IP Logged
surfingminds
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surfingminds Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 12:41pm
here I am watching out 2 future multibaggers during the next 1-2year but, Any one of you have idea or comments please share

1. MIC Electronics : A small but technology concept business LED displays and lightings supported by Japan company who are giving them the required semiconductor technology and device. Almost monoploy supply to railways for the emergency lighting, Recent contract of 4 crore from australia, Ventured into leasing of LED screens for events like 9 crore worth supply to common wealth games. I see future demand of their services from media, event management and advertisement industry.

Technically the stock is available at 40 near to the bottom, Buy for target of 120 in 1 year time.

Only concern is capacity expansion & competition or technology risk  but same time innovation would drive the growth.

2. Microtechnologies India : This is good security device maker with innovation capabilities , The strong fundamental and cheap valuation is mouth watering  and same time a concern why markets are not giving value to it may be something internal which we don't know but apart from them i feel security devices should have lots of demends in future and innovation capabilities of the company can drive further growth .

CMP 210 already 2 bagger i look further to go 500 in 1 years time .

Both these and threads  on TED to discuss and record them here so that 1-2 year down i can check the same place to see what happend.
IP IP Logged
anthro

Quote anthro Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 1:05pm

Its simple to make money ( very difficult to implement in practise )

1. identify good company
  2. invest sizable part of your overall portfolio
  3. sit tight
  4. go back to step 3
IP IP Logged
Kabootar

Quote Kabootar Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by chimak10

I would assume that your dad after buying those stock would have forgotten about it. Otherwise people sell stocks for 10% gain.

If not that give my pranam to your father.

If someone had without going into details bought just the brand name stocks like Castrol, hawkins, TTK, EXIDE, Amarraja, BOI, Bosch, mcdowell, VIP united breweries and many many more brand name he would have beaten every emerging sector stocks plus all MF houses and rest of the analysts. The person would have made a record of 100 baggers in numbers of stocks.

The trick was just holding the stocks and avoiding the sectors plus Money to buy stocks how many of us had invest able sums then.

This gyan and lecture is with total hindsight advantage take it or leave it.

It seems just like in life in stock markets too simplicity in thinking wins every time.

He never forgot but he never mentioned it until 2005. He also started serious equity investing that year and he now has 80% gains in a portfolio of 150+ stocks. And this is a man who until recently did not know or care about Rakesh Jhunjhunwala.

The main hurdle according to him was not money but financial literacy and accessibility to the share market in the 90s. People living outside the metros like us would buy gold, FDs, bonds like their parents before them but there was no one to tell them about the gains they could get from shares! Only scandal news would come on DD about the stock exchanges :D

His idea of holding for a long time also comes from patiently holding all those 25-year bonds, 5-year National Savings certificates,3-year NBFC debentures etc. Nowadays we are lured by easy money!

To buy shares even 12-15 years ago, one had to watch out for ads given out by the companies, take a DD or cheque and then send it to the company. Company would allot shares depending on its own calculations and then you had to wait for the certificates and refunds. What an opaque process compared to the demat and ASBA of today! He missed out on buying HDFC bank at issue price because of an error in the DD he sent. By the time DD came back, issue was closed.

The silver lining: IPOs the were priced at par to face value by law.

Edited by Kabootar - 30/Sep/2010 at 3:28pm
IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 4:13pm
If your dad kept holding the stocks even after he knew it was 10 bagger or 20 bagger then i have tremendous respect for your dad. It takes nerves to hold on to the stocks when they become 5-10 bagger.

Edited by chimak10 - 30/Sep/2010 at 4:18pm
IP IP Logged
Kabootar

Quote Kabootar Replybullet Posted: 30/Sep/2010 at 4:39pm
real nerve is staying on and adding more when your holdings are 20-30% down on their actual value... looking at long term movements of many stocks, it is clear that the pullback from the lows in 2008 actually took them to bigger highs than at the top of the last bull run!

i see no reason to sell if one is not in need of funds.

Edited by Kabootar - 30/Sep/2010 at 7:05pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version