Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: TheEquityDesk Report card Sep 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Vivek Sukhani

Online Status: Offline
Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by kulman

Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

The fact of the matter is, we have a lot to learn, and this is applicable to all members, even Basant Sir. The scale of learning required for senior members may be quite low, and for inexperienced and unknowledgeable investors like me, it will be quite quite high.....but everybody here needs to learn

I received e-mail this morning by someone who has survived 20+ years in markets. He has mentioned this:

Learning is about more than simply acquiring new knowledge and insights; it is also crucial to unlearn old knowledge that has outlived its relevance.

Its like what my dad says,

First time a thing happens you dont observe
Second time a thing happens you observe but dont act
Third time a thing happens, you act and you lose.

So, its quite vital to unlearn( ignore observations). We dont know whether we are at Feb-march of 2000 or April of 2003.

And this may indeed be very different from either of the 2 cases.

However, all I can say, its much more vital to have proper fund management than to do a Haudini in these times. I am seeing some of friends, extremely rich otherwise, but getting totally trapped due to their aggressiveness in this kind of a market. I know people, who used to ridicule me that can you get foseco with a single plus order of 25000 tickets, are on the verge of default to their financial committments. And some of these people are into this market for generations now.

The fact of the matter is stocks behave differently at all points of time. If you understand the cause of the difference in behaviour and have the reasoning to understand which stocks serve what purpose in the portfolio, you will be fine. But if you start cursing underperformers and just get into outperformers( both of which are temporary), you are preparing for your own fall.

Thats why I say a chessboard plan. Even i know the first stocks to rush up will be the fancy type stocks like JP, Pantaloon, Adani etc., but am actually committing into stocks like goodricke which are labelled as suckers.

The reasoning is very simple. this period is beyond the understanding of Samir Arora and RJ and many other market champions, so forget about extremely ordinary mortals like me. When in doubt, I will go into stocks which have very little market-related effect and hibernate.

As you correctly pointed out, its very important to unlearn past lessons, but luckily, we are so rookie, we are still in the process of formation and are learning the first lessons of the market. So, there's everything to learn and nothing to unlearn, at least for a inexperienced person like me.

Jai Guru!!!
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 10:07am

We cannot predict the movements of the market or know how they will be in future .All that we can do is to see how best we make use of its movements to our advantage .

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.
IP IP Logged
kanagala

Quote kanagala Replybullet Posted: 06/Oct/2008 at 11:04am
Read through second quarter results preview reports. Three pvt sector banks HDFC Bk (above 40%), Axis and Yesbank are expected to maintain above 30% growth. PRIL is expected to show 50% growth.
While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.
IP IP Logged
rakeshmehta48

Quote rakeshmehta48 Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by kulman

I received e-mail this morning by someone who has survived 20+ years in markets. He has mentioned this:

Learning is about more than simply acquiring new knowledge and insights; it is also crucial to unlearn old knowledge that has outlived its relevance.

Amazed to see such a mail through you, Kulman Ji.
"crucial to unlearn old knowledge that has outlived its relevence"

I am also in the markets for 28+ years and still surviving. Rules of the game may change,
but
"knowledge outliving it's relevence" ??

Very difficult to apprehend.

No pun, no offence intended. I reckon you a very knowledgeable person, Kulman Sir.
Fund Management is Most Important
IP IP Logged
cooldude
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cooldude Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2008 at 2:28pm

In the 90s, Japan with it's single party rule, a homogenous population, law abiding citizens etc. went into a long sleep.  So, how are we with our divisive politics, weak kneed approach to terror, opposition of farmers to industries in Orissa, Singur, Nandigram etc., shortsighted  politicians like Mamta going to move ahead.  A reformist PM like Manmohan giving up on reforms is not a good sign.  This is what makes me temper my optimisim.  I guess recovery will take a long long time under the above mentioned circumstances.

You can't see the future through the rearview mirror - Peter Lynch
IP IP Logged
nannu_68

Quote nannu_68 Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2008 at 8:28pm
We are where we are, inspite of the shortfalls you mentioned... we may not achieve spectacular growth rates of tiger economies and china but it will be steady 7.5 to 10 percent kind of growth.. slow and steady... but up for sure.. dont ever doubt that!! India has always been one of the best wealth creators in the history...  but somehow that wealth has rarely benefitted the common man.. first it went to the kings who ruled.. then it was the mughals... followed by british... and since independence it has been the politicians and corrupt officials who have been getting richer... a country with 1465 billion US dollars in swiss accounts cannot be poor! So in simple words, india is still creating a lot of wealth.. u decide how you are going to get ur piece of pie !!Smile

Edited by nannu_68 - 07/Oct/2008 at 8:37pm
nannu
IP IP Logged
juggi

Quote juggi Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2008 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

Well, broadly I agree that for safety people should get into FDs but investors should realise that shunning stocks which are considered to be like 'FDs' doesnt always make sense.
And sometimes returns can also be made in stocks which are considered safe......anybody who into HUL in 160-180 band about a year back is sitting on a lovely gain of 60 p.c. and must have eaten 12-13 odd rupees in dividend.
People should learn to grip the handle, whatever kind of handle it is. Practicising something, because a Great investor has said so, when you dont know whether you are capable of handling the consequences of that approach, is likely to take you to greater depths.
I have been on this forum for almost 2 years now, and what I am amazed at is that many people who used to claim they are so brave, seem to have been 'dumbed' by this carnage. There used to be so much exuberance on this forum and in the last 3-6 months, all seem to have vanished.
What is more sad, is that most of the 'emerging stocks' have got dried up. I remember there was a particular IT mid-cap company, especially active in the BFSI segment,, which used to be talked about so much in those days, but for weeks and perhaps months now, there is no participation. The portfolio thread used to be so active, but now even for members who have contributed posts in excess of 5000+, there seem to be no activity on their portfolio thread. Even in Large cap section, the fight seem to be going on between ICICI bank vs. HDFC Bank, thats all.

The fact of the matter is, we have a lot to learn, and this is applicable to all members, even Basant Sir. The scale of learning required for senior members may be quite low, and for inexperienced and unknowledgeable investors like me, it will be quite quite high.....but everybody here needs to learn. 

At the end of the day, I believe there is no need to have high fives and super exuberance like we had at the end of June 07 results and similarly there is no need to be so stunned after the end of Sept 2008. Either state of being, tantamounts to preparing yourself for further failure.
IP IP Logged
juggi

Quote juggi Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2008 at 9:00pm
mr sukhani quite well said in given scenario we need patience to tide over the bear phase.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version