Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Security - Going about it. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
ThinkDifferent
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote ThinkDifferent Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 3:42pm
Search for MBTI and take that test. There are some free tests over the net.

I am an INTJ personality type as per that test and there are recommended professions for each personality type.
I am an Amateur in Stocks.
IP IP Logged
getmanoj

Quote getmanoj Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 4:43pm
I think, that if u are "searching " what you love, you will always be disappointed at the end.
i had read it once in some novel (i guess- Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach ) the messiah says to someone: "you are lucky that you know what you love".
i think, what we are looking for is "love" and "passion" and the problem is till now we don't know how to create/develop them. So the only option remains is to wait for them to happen. and prepare ourself to welcome them if/when they arrive.

on a lighter note: i have a small book : "Why Intelligent People tend to Live Unhappy " if u want it i can mail u ;)

Manoj
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2008 at 6:06pm
Manoj ji..great thoughts...:) atleast isi bahane intelligent to kahlayenge....

Sure mail it to me at [email protected]

and  The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach ... i have heard a lot about this book..will surely read it...read the other book by richard bach... "jonathan livinston seagull" ..again a great book..but here he says that we must search our true calling and pursue it at all the cost
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
valueman

Quote valueman Replybullet Posted: 17/Sep/2008 at 12:51pm
I find this thread very interesting and will share my insights soon .Keep it up guys .

To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize ; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks .
Benjamin Graham.
IP IP Logged
Bizblogged2

Quote Bizblogged2 Replybullet Posted: 10/Nov/2008 at 1:27pm
Thank you for sharing useful information.Personal Finance- Can social security benefits be affected in view of present economic crisis? Can anyone share their opinion in it.

Bizblogged - Finance Blog, Finance, Economics,  Corporate Finance
IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 9:25pm
Interesting thread guys. I have a couple questions on the same lines

1) While calculating one's net worth, can PF and Gratuity accumulated also be added?.
2)What is a decent amount needed for financial security?. (For today.) I know this depends on the person and several other things. But on an average what do you think is the right amount? Is it 1 crore 2 crore 3 crore or much more than that?. By financial security i mean one can live without the regular job. Not necsessarily retire forever but can explore some other options.  In my opinion 2 crore is enough.  Put 1 crore in debt like FD etc that can generate regular income.  In the remaining, use a part of it to put in MF or quality stocks.  And keep the remaining as liquid (or FD)
What do you guys feel?
IP IP Logged
abhishekbasu

Quote abhishekbasu Replybullet Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 10:59am
To answer your questions:

1) Your networth should be the sum total of all your assets. (Personally, I don't consider my house as my asset as in a crunch time I cannot liquidate it. But anything I can sell and convert to cash is as asset.)
2) The number of crores (or lakhs or hundreds of crores) is not important. I think, you should have enough to live the way you were living when you were working. That is true financial freedom. For example, if you spend 25K monthly (just an example), then you need 3 lakhs per year. To generate 3 lakhs per year on a conservatove debt portfolio you would need about 50 lakhs of capital. Also, inflation will eat into the yield so you should have some money in stocks. So, for me, if I had a monthly expense of Rs 25000, I would be comfortable with anything a capital of about 70+ lakhs. Again, this would not include my primary dwelling.

Originally posted by tejas.k

Interesting thread guys. I have a couple questions on the same lines

1) While calculating one's net worth, can PF and Gratuity accumulated also be added?.
2)What is a decent amount needed for financial security?. (For today.) I know this depends on the person and several other things. But on an average what do you think is the right amount? Is it 1 crore 2 crore 3 crore or much more than that?. By financial security i mean one can live without the regular job. Not necsessarily retire forever but can explore some other options.  In my opinion 2 crore is enough.  Put 1 crore in debt like FD etc that can generate regular income.  In the remaining, use a part of it to put in MF or quality stocks.  And keep the remaining as liquid (or FD)
What do you guys feel?

IP IP Logged
tejas.k

Quote tejas.k Replybullet Posted: 08/Feb/2010 at 11:16am
thanks abhishek
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version