Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Planning and Investing Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
blorebuddy

Online Status: Offline
Quote blorebuddy Replybullet Posted: 26/Jan/2010 at 9:17pm
Dear Friends,
I am investing in mutual funds however my investment amount varies every 6 months or 1 year due to more or less saving which I can make at that time.

Also I have invested in various funds.

I am trying to find my return on investment however could not find any calculator where I can key in my monthly savings (which are not constant from month to month) and calculate.

do you have any calculator which I can make use of?
IP IP Logged
vincent
Groupie
Groupie

Quote vincent Replybullet Posted: 26/Jan/2010 at 10:44am
You can calculate it using Ms Excel, function XIRR. Financial formulae commonly used are mentioned in this thread, see post dated 23 july 08.
Time is your friend on the road to wellbeing.
IP IP Logged
$x$=$
Groupie
Groupie

Quote $x$=$ Replybullet Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 3:57pm

I want some debt exposure in my portfolio and i recently reinvested my FD at new rate of 6.5% for a year...

but i would like outperform FD's return..  so am planning to invest in Debt MF (after tomorrow's  RBI's policy).  As there are different kind of Debt MF (such as floater, short term, long term, liquid and MIP) am confused.

Further, in times of tightening liquidity and rising interest rate, Bonds would lose it  value, so  investing in liquid and floater would be more likely choice but usually they don't outperform FD

However, on the other side, most of MIP, Short and long term have exit load which decreases the return...

These debt MF have uncertainty attached to them.. while in FD I would lock in a return

While looking at tax implication Debt MF is better than FD….

Need Help and Prespective!!!!

I buy businesses...
IP IP Logged
nannu_68

Quote nannu_68 Replybullet Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 6:34pm
try short term debt funds.. templeton is a leader in returns here, in excess of 10% annualised for period of 5 years.. HDFC Interest Income is another one.. am also looking for debt funds for balancing asset allocation.. three questions-
a) Do we go in for dividend or growth option?
b) redeeming growth option in say 06 months, will we have any tax liabilities?
c) Is dividend from debt schemes tax free, like equities?

Edited by nannu_68 - 28/Jan/2010 at 6:35pm
nannu
IP IP Logged
vaib

Quote vaib Replybullet Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 9:19pm
I like HDFC HI short term but value research reduced its rating last month from 4 star to 3 star. They have lot of structured obligations on their sheet though most AAA. I am naive to make any comments but looks like reason of their less rating. Scheme is delivering 8-9% returns. Its short term so I feel more secure. I like monthly or quarterly dividend. Fund itself pays 15% tax and invested money remains same no capital gain tax on my side. This way don't have to worry about tax. Also they allow starting from 5k to invest (I don't have much money to put :P) templeton etc ask 5 lac 1 crore etc.

I would like if someone can comment. This is all from my own study. I too want to put some money in debt fund but haven't been able to decide which one.

Edited by vaib - 28/Jan/2010 at 9:20pm
IP IP Logged
$x$=$
Groupie
Groupie

Quote $x$=$ Replybullet Posted: 28/Jan/2010 at 9:23pm
Will try to answer your questions to my best abilities...

a)mostly all debt mf have dividend growth and dividend reinvestment plans

b)redeeming growth plan in 6months would attract short term capital gain tax and moreover most of the debt have an exit load for early redeemers

c)Dividend is not taxed in hands of investor, however MF pays ~14% as dividend distribution tax. Thus causing lower returns

Edited by $x$=$ - 28/Jan/2010 at 9:24pm
I buy businesses...
IP IP Logged
vaib

Quote vaib Replybullet Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 3:27pm
You will have to pay tax at any point of time on debt funds, long term is 10%if I remember correct. Short term is as per the your regular tax rates. In dividend tax hassle is taken care by the fund so I don't have to do this paper work. That is my point. Anyways being more precise my questions are ..
1. What debt funds do you like and why (preferably in short/medium term).
2. Why HDFC HI short term got derated by value research (It was my fav so curious to know)
IP IP Logged
joslinjose9

Quote joslinjose9 Replybullet Posted: 29/Jan/2010 at 6:29pm

hi,

i have a home loan of 24 lakhs with hdfc.i have 5 lakhs as cash in hand.i am in a confused state wheather to repay the loan or invest in equity.i request TED members to share their views.waiting for reply.

fear of lord is the beginning of wisdom
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version