Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
manishkayal

Online Status: Offline
Quote manishkayal Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by BubbleVision

Hi Manishkayal Bhai

I would request you to please post the compelete cource structure along with the subjects ... required for each level of Intl CFA which you are doing.
Sure BubbleVision Jee..........First there are Three Levels in all. Level 1 conducted in June & December whereas the Level 2 & 3 are conducted only in December.
This file is called ""Candidates Body of Knowledge"" as per CFA Institute....and they expect a CFA Charterholders to have a knowledge of these topic....though the course are subject to changes everyyear as per the market situation...I mean they would include many new developments in the Industry.....infact they conducts surveys for the ppl in the industry asking what they think should be included in the course. There is usually 10-15% change in the course everyyear....but that not necessary...there might be years when there is no change or when there are drastic changes (like this year 35-45% change).

Also please post the minimum time requirements between each levels, Exam format (online/pencil paper)  (Objective/practical) and the exam fees and all.
Time Requirements: The time taken to complete this course would be in the range of 2-2.5 years. 2 years for the ppl who appears for LEvel 1 in December and then appear for Level 2 in june...this way they would save 6 months. It has a CAT type of Exam paper structure....100% objectives in level 1 & 2 and 50% reasoning in level 3. Its Paper Pencil type of exam not Online.
Money: 35K-40K for level 1 (coz this includes admission fess kind of charges) and 20K approx for Level 2 & 3 each...so this makes 80K for the fees. We got to arrange for the books ourselves. Buying the originals deos not make sense (as it costs something 20K for each level)...no one does in India as far as I seen....many ppl share the cost of books after ordering it from Schweser (the private institution who prepares notes for CFA candidates....I have followed their Materials). In Mumbai I never had prob getting Study Materials...have no idea abt Kolkatta...but I can help you out in this too.

I have a cousin who wants to do Intl CFA and i need to advise him.
I would advise to go for this course. But I will tell you one qualification Sunil Singhania had on the ppl going on for this course. He said that ppl who are just plain vanilla graduates should not gor for it....they should have a Base degree like CA / MBA, etc. CFA is a Add-On degree...(he himself is a CA as well as CFA....and the India head of CFA Institute society also Reliance Equity Fund Manager)...So I would like you to take this in consideration...becoz even I believe in this view of his.

Let me know if you need any more help on this. You can call me anytime on +91-9892846506.

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:59am

Bubblevision is the other course based on technical analysis and originates from UK? If so Gautam Shah of JM Morgan STanley has done it and says it is the ultimate things for a TA. I know him through someone.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 11:59am
thanks for the info. that may be helpful for me also if I get to move in my desired area.
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:01pm
Thanks Manish for this information.
I will pass on this information to my cousin and take it from there.
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by nikhil090

thanks for the info. that may be helpful for me also if I get to move in my desired area.

But the problem is they require 3 years of relevant (investment banking/finance) work experience before you are awarded your CFA charter.But for anyone wanting  a toe hold in this industry Int. CFA is the ultimate thing.

The financial calculator that you are required to buy at the first level teaches you things that a person would normally have never learnt. It changes the perspective altogether. I keep that fiancial calculator with me every time.It is kind of a magic toy!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:41pm
That will eventually happen Basantji. If one moves into investment banking/ Equity research, and as it may take 2-3 years to complete the course, one will have the 3 yr experience.
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 12:56pm

CMT is the standard course from MTA (Market Technecians Association), which is based in NY, US. Their web address is www.mta.org. The course details and the contents are given at the site.

This course for technecians is also of three levels, with each level taken one after another . Exams are held twice a year once in Apr-May and the second time in Nov-Dec.

The first and second level is an online exam but in the third level one has to write a technical research paper which would be examined by existing CMT's.

For first level the charge is $500 for the registration and exam fees ...for the second and third level the exam fees is $400 for each. Additionally the upfront registration charge is $300.

So if one clears all CMT levels in first attempt then the total charge would be $1600.00

The UK course is STA Diploma and even Gabba has done that. However this one is much much inferior when compared to the US CMT.

You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 04/Mar/2007 at 1:00pm
For one to awardeded the permission to use the title CMT...one has to have 5 years of one the job experience...So CMT is for Technecians and CFA is exactly the same for Fundamentalists.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version