Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 6:47am
I know yours was a general observation. My reply was more as a "general note for all TED newbies". No hassles, cheers! Smile
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 8:27am
Before: Rising stock prices made me happy
After: Falling stock prices inspite of good results makes me joyful.

Looking forward to lower prices because PN-waalas are forced to liquidate and levergaed players (who are after jhatpat money) being squeezed-out both ways.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
SORUB

Quote SORUB Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 11:54am
For a new commer TED is a must join forum to become a "proper" investor or a trader.

i admire basantji for his style of investing and the way he goes around geting info about the companies.thank u very much for creating such a forum for us.

kulmanji you are simply great with the warren buffet quates and ur high level of humor without which the forum will be just another equity forum.hats off!!!

bubbleji is a wonderful in his advice and one of my fav quotes of his is "mind should be like a parachute,best used when open"

omji is one smart guy and the framing of TED is very nice

xboxji,tusarji,vivekji everyone rocks here the way they follow the company make u sit up and do things right.

like breakfast i need to look at ted to get the mind set right,especially kulmanji's quotes.

wish ted will become bigger and better and we all had fun making good friendship & money

*i have learnt lot of things from TED and will keep learning.
*TED keeps things simple and that is the most wonderful thing i like
K.I.S.S(keep it simple silly) is the most easy management formula i ever came across!!! but it is very hard to follow!!!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 12:01pm
*TED keeps things simple and that is the most wonderful thing i like

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorub jee....your tagline matches with this one, doesn't it?

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
SORUB

Quote SORUB Replybullet Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 12:32pm
yup
K.I.S.S(keep it simple silly) is the most easy management formula i ever came across!!! but it is very hard to follow!!!
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 19/Oct/2007 at 8:09pm
Before: Only tracked Media (Multiplex to be specific)
After: Media, Retail and Financial Services. Other sectors also little-bit.

Before: Buying Momentum stocks.
After: Investing only on Panic.

Basantji's tremendous knowledge and vast experience is what puts him in different league altogether.
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2007 at 4:01pm
these days I am not bothered if I find someone with an intention that extends more into argument then understanding.My favourite quote is “Do what you want to after all it is your money”
-------------------

Basantji,

Now that gives me a hint as to why you have not been replying to my numerous queries on various forums ....

My guess is that my being bullish on certain Commodities and speaking about it have made this impression of mine on you ....

I don't think the best person is one "Jo aap ki haan mein haan kare" ...
Infact best are those, who have their own opinions and shares with others .. even after knowing others have different opinion !!

We have different views on Commodities - But that should not outcast me !

Even at the risk of you disliking me further - I want to say one heartfelt truth within me ....

I have sincerely tried to compare your investing style with Warren Buffet - Almost everthing is matching - BUT JUST ONE THING LOOKS TO ME COMPLETELY NOT MATCHING !!

And that is - When Buffet buys a company he does NOT think of any event or trigger which could make a not-valued business valuable ... He thinks if there is undervaluation - stock is a slave of its earnings and sooner or later - market would value it correctly or overly !

But Basantji, if you find a undervalued company - you also focus on finding a trigger or event that can make it valuable - if you can NOT find it - it does NOT merit your investment ...

Corollary of this difference is that Buffet says when you find the best business to invest in - time to get out is NEVER ... while you feel that there is a time to get out of each and every long term investment you make !!

While you and Buffet can have different styles and your styles can serve you well .... But i as a watcher, wanted to share what i watched !

You would have MILLION FANS praising you and your style ...
But if you have very few people disliking certain part of your approach and they are telling it to you WITH NO INTENDED HARM OR INTENDED NEGATIVENESS - Then you can decide if you want to listen to them or not !!

Want to end by modifying your Quote: “Listen what you want to - after all its your choice, its your life”

Originally posted by basant

A lot. it has changed the entire mental set up. Without TED I would have just bought HDFC bank in the banking sector that is because here I learnt how to analyse banking stocks through Mr Praharaj's sermons!While X-Box was a vocal force in YES Bank I would have never bothered to check up the fundamentals of that company had it not been for that constant barrage of posts day in and day out.

Now buying HDFC Bank would have been the easiest thing to do but certainly not the best.That is because this is a discovered company. Axis I thought would be as good and efficient a bank avaialbel at a discount to HDFC bank.

One video that made a huge difference to me was Buffet's comment on LTCM " They bet what was necessary and important to achieve what was unnecessary and unimportant"!

I thought of my stocks a similar way and thought of diversifying. But the moment i started to buy new companies from new sectors I was again disturbed by that Buffet thought of putting a huge amount of money in Amex because that was a better option.

So while normally I could have let some of the relatively overvalued positions run in the portfolio I decided not to. On the other hand reading so much about Buffet day in and day out I was introduced to banks and insurance companies but I did not buy Insurance companies like that because Buffet did not suggest buying Insurance companies at any price.

So when we got to pricing I started to look at banks and above all Pabrai's concept of heads I win and Tails I do not lose much fitted the bill perfectly.

Now coming back to the company I love to hate "Educomp" my bhua's son is in that PE which exited Educomp. I will not take names here but I did not listen to him when the price was right to buy but as soon as the price went above my head I had to raise an alarm. That is because I had to justify stocks from the posts and we canm justify a stock only upto one or two year forward earnings.Had it not been for TED I would have held on and made some money but would have risked myself from losing my  capital one fine day -TED taught me to discuss stocks with resposnsibility and look more at the fundamentals rather then the price.

Who thought that stocks would fall 15% today but they did and we came out of it very well. At TED I learnt not to panic, I learnt that all these smart guys on the idiot box are only as good as the box.

I do not care where stocks go earlier I used to handle gossips from people who used to call up and say "Dekha RNRL ka bhaav!" These days I say "Agar tere paas nahi hai toh what are you gaining from discussing about a stock which neither me nor you hold?"

TED has changed me a lot. I was very aggressive when TED started. Wanted to answer any question on Tv18 and PRIL. these days I am not bothered if I find someone with an intention that extends more into argument then understanding.My favourite quote is “Do what you want to after all it is your money”

I avoid entering into any communication with people whose agenda is not one of discussion but of argument.

·          I do not care if some one calls and tells me that I made a 100 bagger in Unitech because making a 100 bagger from a 1% allocation can create excitement but making a 100 bagger from a 50% allocation can change a life!

·          I learnt that markets could go higher then we think and lower then we fear.

·          I learnt about Buffet and Pabrai.

·          I learnt how an engineer who had little financial knowledge could pick up a winner and stick to it.

·          I learnt how a person  who is barely 20 could bet on stocks  with reason.

·          I learnt the passion that makes people who are not doing any other work. have a dream about creating wealth from this market.

·          I learnt that chatting sites and discussion forum is a place where people can communicate for 15 months without using abusive language.

·          I learnt that there is more to life then making a lot of money.I get several offers of a partnership and turning this site as pay but that is not what TED was conceived for. There are several ways to make money.

·          I learnt how much we could help each other without writing a single check. TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water.

·          Overall I have gained from TED as much as you all have but in my own ways  

Edited by prosperity - 20/Oct/2007 at 4:15pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 20/Oct/2007 at 5:09pm
Thanks for your views but if you think that "Yes men"  impress/attract me then again there is difference in opinion but it does not matter really. Thanks for your feedback though!!!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version