Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Indian Stocks – Time to aggressively load on! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 48 Next >>
gauravsinghal2
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote gauravsinghal2 Replybullet Posted: 08/Sep/2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by basant

Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

Yes true these views are necessary to gauge the mood of Mr Market ..on the other hand ....I am just mulling over the idea to actually stop checking quotes, fully stop CNBC but just pick up a stock A and then arrive at fair price(on our own analysis ) and then decide to buy at that price only ...and then see how I fare.... probably we should all try this and see how we understand value. A major portion of buy and sell is based on the quote I guess and that could just be the root of the problem.Opinions pls ?

Brilliant thought. I have realised that I am more comfortable on days that I am busy and not checking the quotes compared to the days where I spend in front of TV.

Can anyone add on to this thought as to how exactly this can be practiced.

I just want to share my experience that I have started writing the reasons and logic for buying or selling any share since what happens is that you forget one third of the reasons one year down the line and some of them might be really very sound logics. Whenever I am then bogged down by the constant market analysis by media, I re-visit those notes and many a times it has given me long term wisdom at the replacement of short term intelligence.
IP IP Logged
abhishekbasu

Quote abhishekbasu Replybullet Posted: 24/Dec/2009 at 10:26am
Great points. Although I have tried to stop watching TV(read CNBC/NDTV Profit) to a great extent, I have not completely been able to. So, what I do is watch only non-market related programs like interviews of business people (basically "canned programs" as their trade lingo goes). Anything that has Udayan and Co. in it I completely avoid. Over the last year I have realized that these "experts" are as clueless as I am, so there is no point in listening to them and their dime-a-dozen opinions. It's much better to understand the businesses I invest in and then just ignore the markets. Nowadays, I just look at the market quotes once or twice a month. I don't know if it will make me a better investor, but it surely has made my life much more peaceful.

Originally posted by gauravsinghal2

Originally posted by basant

Originally posted by nitin_jagtap

Yes true these views are necessary to gauge the mood of Mr Market ..on the other hand ....I am just mulling over the idea to actually stop checking quotes, fully stop CNBC but just pick up a stock A and then arrive at fair price(on our own analysis ) and then decide to buy at that price only ...and then see how I fare.... probably we should all try this and see how we understand value. A major portion of buy and sell is based on the quote I guess and that could just be the root of the problem.Opinions pls ?

Brilliant thought. I have realised that I am more comfortable on days that I am busy and not checking the quotes compared to the days where I spend in front of TV.

Can anyone add on to this thought as to how exactly this can be practiced.

I just want to share my experience that I have started writing the reasons and logic for buying or selling any share since what happens is that you forget one third of the reasons one year down the line and some of them might be really very sound logics. Whenever I am then bogged down by the constant market analysis by media, I re-visit those notes and many a times it has given me long term wisdom at the replacement of short term intelligence.

IP IP Logged
shivkumar

Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 24/Dec/2009 at 10:34am
that's actually a very good idea. in fact you shouldn't be wasting time on the interview and soft features that show bosses playing golf, having breakfast and the like.

Many of these programmes are sponsored with the corporate picking up the tab. Several of the channels have no money to burn on such features, so the corporate pays for the air-fare of the correspondent and crew apart from paying a hefty premium over ad rates to the channel as well.

reading the investor presentations on the company websites may be far more enlightening!
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 24/Dec/2009 at 11:15am
[QUOTE=abhishekbasu] Great points. Although I have tried to stop watching TV(read CNBC/NDTV Profit) to a great extent, I have not completely been able to. So, what I do is watch only non-market related programs like interviews of business people (basically "canned programs" as their trade lingo goes). Anything that has Udayan and Co. in it I completely avoid. Over the last year I have realized that these "experts" are as clueless as I am, so there is no point in listening to them and their dime-a-dozen opinions. It's much better to understand the businesses I invest in and then just ignore the markets. Nowadays, I just look at the market quotes once or twice a month. I don't know if it will make me a better investor, but it surely has made my life much more peaceful.
[QUOTE]

Ditto here....if an article or a program remote refers to the stock price rather than business prospects ... i immidiately move on. In fact reading articles on stock price movement, FII money movement etc has become a huge turn off.

I'm now able to read ET very quickly as a lot of articles are an easy avoid.

All those articles about the big bull is rumoured to be doing this..FIIs are actively lapping up shares of so and so company etc has become a huge source of amusement for me.Smile because I know it is all nonsense. 

Edited by subu76 - 24/Dec/2009 at 11:16am
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Dec/2009 at 12:14pm
ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Originally posted by shivkumar

Many of these programmes are sponsored with the corporate picking up the tab. Several of the channels have no money to burn on such features, so the corporate pays for the air-fare of the correspondent and crew apart from paying a hefty premium over ad rates to the channel as well.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 25/Dec/2009 at 2:18pm
Yes our indian channels are in cahoots with Indian promoters.Remember the the 8 page interview transcript  from Moneycontrol of CNBC intervie with Gautam Adani & desai before Adani Power IPO.

I wonder if In India will  anybody get ever punished Like iN US for inside trading like Rajarathnam of Galleon
IP IP Logged
hit2710

Quote hit2710 Replybullet Posted: 25/Dec/2009 at 6:50pm
I was following this thread and since sep 08 could not find any posts and then since yesterday this thread has become active.
Stockmarket is a weird place. For every person who buys a stock there is a person who sells it and both think they are very smart.
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 28/Dec/2009 at 12:35pm
hey no harm is reading paid interviews or watching Udayan & co. It is just entertainment - you will be allright if you don't act on the opinions.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 48 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version