Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

B-Schools
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance :B-Schools
Message Icon Topic: MBA's and risk(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
kulman

Online Status: Offline
bullet Posted: 16/Feb/2007 at 10:36pm
That book by Mark McCormack is a must read!
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

bullet Posted: 16/Feb/2007 at 1:36am
Vision, Creativity, Burning desire for that unconventional dream is like Maa Shakti, Stree(unpredictable and yet that is the basic seed necessary for the child to be born).

Walking a disciplined and predictable path is like Lord Shiva(Calm, fixed intent, one-pointedness with predictable effect for a prec-conceived cause. Something like 1+1=2).

Shiva is Potential Energy and Shakti is Kinetic Energy. Ultimately it is all energy.

But we need Shiva(man)-Shakti(woman) both for a child to be born. Thus every great company needs a Shakti-form(visionary, unconventional) for that evolutionary seed and then Shiva takes over who can direct that energy along a predictable path.

World cannot exist just with Shakti or just with Shiva: we need them both for a child to be conceived or for a great company to be born.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
Mohan

bullet Posted: 16/Feb/2007 at 8:15am
Originally posted by basant

I have known many  MBA's from almost all the top colleges in the world and I would categorise those schools as  glorified placement agencies.

AN MBA by itself will get you nothing it has to be backed by the burning desire to think unconventionally. Sunil Mittal, Kishore Biyani, Dhirubhai AMbani, Narayan Murthy, were not a part of any of these glorified placement agencies. But a company whose CEO is an IIT/IIM combine does well because these guys know how to carry the business along structured lines - not so sure about the initial vision though.

Satyam's CEO is a HArward alumni though!

MBA gets you in the door.  Very true. Bigger schools get you in bigger doors.  Rest is upto you. 
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.
IP IP Logged
PrashantS

bullet Posted: 17/Feb/2007 at 6:50pm
well " the rest is upto you "  goes for any kinda business u do...MBA certifies you that u can handle the intial cruches of the business and the builds the intial faith to hire a person...I think the real key is to get the best out of your MBA....................
IP IP Logged
kaushalchawla

bullet Posted: 17/Feb/2007 at 12:33pm
omshivaya
, Very well explained.
Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

bullet Posted: 17/Feb/2007 at 4:21am
Thank you Kaushal ji for your simple yet kind words.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
vineet

bullet Posted: 18/Feb/2007 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by basant

I have known many  MBA's from almost all the top colleges in the world and I would categorise those schools as  glorified placement agencies.

AN MBA by itself will get you nothing it has to be backed by the burning desire to think unconventionally. Sunil Mittal, Kishore Biyani, Dhirubhai AMbani, Narayan Murthy, were not a part of any of these glorified placement agencies. But a company whose CEO is an IIT/IIM combine does well because these guys know how to carry the business along structured lines - not so sure about the initial vision though.

Satyam's CEO is a HArward alumni though!

There are innumerable examples of people who are CEOs but are from IIMs (et al included) and those who are CEOs who are not. I think "glorified recruiters" is a more fitting sobriquet for the IIMs. And actually they are not very placement agencies; they need to do a lot of brand-building and marketing. Take this: only IIMA has a full-time experienced person for media relations. I am presently going through the selection process at the IIMs and that is one area where I don't see much scope of improvement.
Vineet
"Don't be humble.. you're not THAT great."
- Golda Meir
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

bullet Posted: 18/Feb/2007 at 11:56pm
Vineet, u  got 98.65 in 04 and 98.1 in 05, right.  how much u scored in CAT in 06.Man u r very intelligent in maths and english but u need to brush of your knowledge in business.Thats where i see your weakness.My stengths lies in the later rather than former.Visit pagalguy.com thats where all aspiring MBAs discuss.
Wish u lots of luck...
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version