Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Direct tax code: Tax liability and you Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
manishdave

Online Status: Offline
Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 10:25am
Actually they could have made new code more simpler.

If you report your income,

We want your money or your money is our money.

IP IP Logged
shivkumar

Quote shivkumar Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 11:07am
To me the sentence appears as a caution against not affording special status to capital gains.

The drafters probably want the government to give special treatment to CG. So some sops may be given to investors, after all. But again this could be wishful thinking on the part of an investor (myself)!!!!
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 17/Aug/2009 at 1:48pm
9Stock, you can see this. It's all about EEE and EET! And more.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 22/Aug/2009 at 5:11pm
I read a review on blog Maxkapital. The link is as below:

Looks like code promotes consumption over investment inspite of staggering amount of capital needed for infrastructure development. May Bajrangbali bless us!!
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 1:43pm
New direct tax code bill 2009 and discussion paper can be downloaded as PDF file from the page in link below

IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 2:23pm
There is this in today's HBL: link

And a few days ago Sandeep Shanbag did a good write up in DNA Money:

New tax code a capital-gains shocker

We should be worried.
IP IP Logged
leo2007

Quote leo2007 Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 3:31pm
Let us hope DTC will not be implemented in its present form or else we can expect a market crash in March 2011
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 21/Sep/2009 at 8:23pm
This proposed direct tax code is atruly depressing stuff for a person like me whose entire personal finance planning revolves around equity investments.Angry

I could easily envisage a scenario where I would be selling lot of my current investments in the period of bubble like valuations and end-up paying 30% of it to GOI. So, risk is all mine and returns to be shared!! Great concept!!Shocked

I could not think any way out, except probably one very tortured way by investing in unit linked investment plans. (I am not talking about unit linked insurance plans. What I have in mind is unit linked investment plans without any insurance attached to it).

All unit linked plans provide options for switching between 100% equity allocations to 100% allocations to liquid funds at anytime during duration of plan. Such features could be utilised to book equity profits and park the proceeds in liquid funds without attracting capital gains as you would not receive gains in your hands. The withdrawals then can be calibrated in line with tax bracket or it can be switched back to equity mode at appropriate time.

The drawback here is you lose control on decisions to where to invest. Also, associated chrages could be high.

I do not like investing this way but it might be better than to handover 30% of gains to GOI.

I would like to know opinion of members on this thinking. I think a CA can give better idea.

In any case, this provision has potential to disrupt secular bull market in Indian equity. I have heard about disruptive innovation but this is probably first time, I am seeing disruptive innovation in taxation!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version