Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: The Warren Buffett school of Investing. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 221 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 6:07pm

Kulman.. i may have posted that link, but i have not seen that Video so far. i will do that as soon as i have time. i would like to request you to write something on that....

BTW, you are doing a great work on this buffet forum....
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 6:36pm
i have read buffet's investment strategy, benjamin grahams first book, peter lynch's strategy and of intelligent investors who re members of this forum.

i can summarise it as:

1. buy only when you can find something worth buying.
2. time and not the timing is key to success.
3. concentrated holdings for maximising gains.
4. buy something which you understand.
5. buy at max pessimism and sell at max optimism.

anyone who can follow this will make money.

i have lost a lot of money earlier (and losing even now) just because i couldn't control my "greed" at times.

most of us often buy at wrong times the wrong stock just because we fear that we might miss the bull run.

and if a slide starts then we sell at wrong times out of fear.

so if fear and greed are driving our behaviour in stock market we will end up being a loser.

so Emotional intelligence rather than IQ matters more in this field.

can any of the senior member(basant ji, kulman ji, omshivaya ji or reetesh) tell me how you control these emotions of yours.

i am workin on it but often fail

Edited by tyler_durden - 07/Nov/2006 at 6:37pm
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 6:49pm
Tyler

I may be a senior member by number of posts criteria, but not in any other way. I'm learning (which is a continuous process especially in capital markets) & have a feeling that it will take at least next 20-30 years (I'm already 40) to develop suitable 'temperament' or what you termed as Emotional Intelligence.

One thing I can confess openly is that after joining this forum there is tremendous improvement in my thought process. I may not have made huge money but I have stopped losing it. That to me is a marked improvement.

And now I can proudly say "I am not a Mungerilal!"

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 7:03pm
I may not have made huge money but I have stopped losing it. That to me is a marked improvement. : Money saved is money made
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 7:06pm
Tyler...
i have particularly liked the "jstk" tag line which says "If you buy for a non-value reason, you will end up selling for a non-value reason". This quote to me says a lot about Investing.... and is absolutely true.

I too claim that i have learnt a lot since joining the forum and all its wonderful members. I particularly learnt a lot in the discussion which is located Here.... and Here.... and Here...

I would also congratulate you for having the courage to accept a mistake (i dont have that courage at times)... and the first step is always when one recognises a mistake. Then he can take the steps to improve, which i am sure you will.

Edited by BubbleVision - 07/Nov/2006 at 7:12pm
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 7:33pm
point taken " money saved is money made."

and " If you buy for a non-value reason, you will end up selling for a non-value reason ".

"my first aim will be not to make money but to ensure safety of my principal." i think this is how i can summarise thoughts of all three of you.

Edited by tyler_durden - 07/Nov/2006 at 7:34pm
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 08/Nov/2006 at 11:02pm

Starting with this post, I shall try to put together Buffet's words of wisdom from that video (his lecture at Univ of Fl):

I urge you to work in jobs that you love. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don’t like because you think it will look good on your resume. I was with a fellow at Harvard the other day who was taking me over to talk. He was 28 and he was telling me all that he had done in life, which was terrific. And then I said, “What will you do next?”
“Well,” he said, “Maybe after I get my MBA I will go to work for a consulting firm because it will look good on my resume.”
I said, “Look, you are 28 and you have been doing all these things, you have a resume 10 times than anybody I have ever seen. Isn’t that a little like saving up sex for your old age?

When you get out of here take a job you love, not a job you think will look good on your resume. You ought to find something you like. If you think you will be happier getting 2x instead of 1x, you are probably making a mistake. You will get in trouble if you think making 10x or 20x will make you happier because then you will borrow money when you shouldn’t or cut corners on things. It just doesn’t make sense and you won’t like it when you look back.

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 09/Nov/2006 at 3:43pm

Time is the friend of the wonderful business; it is the enemy of the lousy business. If you are in a lousy business for a long time, you will get a lousy result even if you buy it cheap. If you are in a wonderful business for a long time, even if you pay a little bit too much going in you will get a wonderful result if you stay in a long time.

--From Buffet's lecture
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 221 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version