Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:37pm

Unfortunatley I am not aware of any single course that would teach us all of these. Most of time the relevant portion is only 25% of the total material. Most of the unfortunate things with these courses is that the kind of exercise they expect investors to make is beyond the scope of any normal individual investor. For instance they would ask us to prepare a 5 year discounted cash flow method. Now 5 years is such a long period of time; companies could close down they could have competition grow faster then their peers or be over taken it leads to a lot of grey areas.

Individuals like us do not have access to all the management and above that we have limited time. SO if you opt for a formal training it would be difficult to put everything in practice.

ABout ratios no biography carries it all but there are very specific recalls of certain events in almost all the books. That is why I prefer to read them very slowly so that the concept sinks into my head. I must have read One up... at least 10 times! You could make out by the kind of stocks I wish to discuss on the forum.

Still you could check up on the CIIA course conducted by the ICFAi Hyderabad. It does have a greater proportion of practical study and there are a lot of case studies discussed as well. You would get it on their website.

Finally thank you so much for your kind words. But my formal education has played no role in the way I look at companies (I learnt the ratios there but applicatiuon is the trickiest part). I would owe my knowledge to
1) The books of the masters
2) Discussing things with like minded people - like we are doing here. Till date I did not know why Buffet did not buy Pepsi but coke. - Manish made it so easy. the next time I look at a company I will have this piece at the back of my mind.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
vishal.sahay

Quote vishal.sahay Replybullet Posted: 20/Nov/2006 at 9:39pm
Does anyone has idea about KPO firms? Is it worth joining such firms? I have got job offer from Copal partners and if anyone has idea specifically about this firm, ur comments are welcomed. But plz reply asap.
Vishal
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 12:43pm
Vishal... KPO firms are doing the work of US ... which has been outsourced to india. I myself am employed as a "Technician" in such a Firm.... as Technical Analysis is also outsourced.  

First check out the work which you will doing. If you are doing Research .... Funda or economic ... then it would be highly advisable to take up the offer as it would help you a great deal in the Future.

It is important to do Research ... for finance guys...As it increases the knowledge....

Do let us know of your decision and of any Research ... which you may be doing. With Experience the pay will automatically increase.

You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
vishal.sahay

Quote vishal.sahay Replybullet Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 5:04pm
yes the job involves some quantitative and qualitative but more inclined towards the former. I have been the designation of Senior Analyst. You can look at the company site and see if u get some idea www.copalpartners.com. All ur views are welcomed. Looking forward to hear from you soon.
Vishal
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 21/Nov/2006 at 5:54pm
Vishal... after looking at the Site of the company...i would recommend you to join. However i would also advice you one thing.... Dont play In F&O markets ... without proper knowledge.
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 9:41am
Hi Manishkayal Bhai

I would request you to please post the compelete cource structure along with the subjects ... required for each level of Intl CFA which you are doing.

Also please post the minimum time requirements between each levels, Exam format (online/pencil paper)  (Objective/practical) and the exam fees and all.

I have a cousin who wants to do Intl CFA and i need to advise him.

IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 9:57am

While Manish is the best person to guide on this course I would reiterate that this is the best course that any aspiring equity analyst could do.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 03/Mar/2007 at 10:11am
Another cource for Equity Analysts is CMT (Certified Market Technecian)....which is technecians equivalent of CFA.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version