Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 2:34pm

Wah! Excellent ones everyone. Keep it coming from time to time. This thread will serve as a "wisdom pot" for many TEDnewbies in years to come.

The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
tyler_durden

Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 7:01pm

Investing strategy...

i never had one prior to joining TED... Now i can say i am an investor ..earlier i was a punter .... jab watt lagi Dead tab puntergiri ko tyag dia ....
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
muralimohan001

Quote muralimohan001 Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 7:56pm

Before  : No one was there to get suggestion or discuss

After    : Now we have our favorite TED Smile

Before : Did not have concentrated portfolio.

After   : Having concentrated portfolio.

Before: I always thought about short term only.

After  : I have long term view now.

Before: Used to buy momentum stocks

After   : Holding only excellent stocks

Before:    Used to buy stocks and sell just based on news without thinking

After   :   Made very few transactions with lot of thinking to choose between TED discussed stocks

SmileSmileSmileSmile

Edited by muralimohan001 - 18/Oct/2007 at 7:57pm
If money is your hope for independence, you will never have it. The
only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of
knowledge, experience and ability.
IP IP Logged
kishanpv
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kishanpv Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 8:15pm

B: Was thinking Mutual fund is what i can understand & every damn site for stocks and knowledge was purely stock price driven

A: The day i was introduced to TED (thru ChatLal's chat) journey has been every green (with my portfolio & conviction). This was the first site where people were enthu about falling stocks & said am buying rather than buy or sell blindly.

I check TED more than my official/personal emails. I guess this sums up all :)

Thanks to TED & basantji.

Adding my value to TED by telling to every single person whom i meet and have interest in stocks to read TED first and then go to moneycontrol.

Edited by kishanpv - 18/Oct/2007 at 8:15pm
IP IP Logged
WallSt
Groupie
Groupie

Quote WallSt Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 12:34pm
Fairly new member so can't speak much, but its interesting how I found TED.  I was always looking for investment opp in International mkt for diversification. ( yes India is Intl mkt for me:-)). Only option was US India specific MF for me, and other side  my total portfolio has almost 51% Intl exposer (India/Brazil/Europe) which is quite high. So hesitate to put more towards India. I knew real money is there for sometime, but my AAP was not permitting to put more towards India. But finally I found solution, I said to myself India can't be alien land for me its my motherland. So I can't consider its International! And also was looking for hedging against US$ So I took out India as Intl from my portfolio.  Had icicdirect acct on my Father name & was using for IPO. But did not know where to start.

I was hearing this RJ name so many time on moneycontrol but did not know who was he. Only I knew people compare him with Warren Buffet. So one day I type in Googel (RJ portfolio) and I found TED!

By working in finance area I always like to do my DD, I just can't buy something when some one tells me to buy it. Someone has told me before that buy Yes Bank, and I never did. Why? because  I need conviction. I need to see FS and analysis, well research, valid arguments, CC etc.  These all I got from TED. And now I have YES bank in my acct.

Now speaking about TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy.

I would say Lot. Time I am investing in India I am converting $ in Rs. Is it good thing or bad? I really dont know. I guess time will tell. Before that I was afraid to convert $ into Rs for investment, but TED gave me confidence to do so.

I am learning lot about Indian co & Indian Equity mkt here.

I was also amazed expectation of Return 30% 40% 50% CGAR! Wow you can only think about this kind of emerging mkt only. I was also amazed people are looking for 10 cores from 10L in 10 Years! or 3 times in 3 years! We can't expect from our DJ. Our DJ is like old Grand paa, has glorious past, vast exp, but out of date! Everyone is watching this young, dynamic handsome guy BSE sensex! He is hot in marriage mkt. All brides(read FII) want his share & all of them want to marry him! Show must go on.

Well I always believe having knowledge is not important but sharing knowledge is much more important. And that's exactly TED Gurus / Sr members are doing.

Hats of all member who have spend their personal time to cultivate this excellent forum!

Lakshya

PS

"I check TED more than my official/personal emails. I guess this sums up all :)"

Oh you open your official email? I even do that anymore:-)

IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 12:44pm
handsome guy BSE sensex!

I strongly disagree with this. Sensex is a moody girl. 99% of the regular TEDs are guys, and we keep talking about her the whole day.

Only option was US India specific MF for me

How has the India specific MFs based out of USA performed so far? What is their last 3 year CAGR returns?
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 1:20am

Finding even a "3 bagger-in-3 years" isn't easy in an emerging market like India(if based on pure investing and not trading/speculating) Lakshya jee.  That's a CAGR of a little above 42% for 3 years. This isn't 2003 anymore!!!

Here is what makes a TED XI stock:

>>Being a TEDdy myself, I can safely say that even this task looks somewhat acheiveable at TED...bcoz countless hours of research and hard-work (financials, growth prospects, news, articles, website links, sector analysis, brokerages covering and their views on it, valuations good enough for investment etc. etc.) is done behind the scenes by the regular TEDdian, before a thread is started by him/her. And that is then included into the "Stock Synopsis" section.

>>Now, only a few chosen stocks out of this Stock Synopsis section, get a chance to be entered into the "Emerging midcap to largecap section"

>>And to top that, only after a lot of DD...the creamiest layer from the "Emerging midcap to largecap sectiOn" gets chosen into the final layer of TED XI stocks. These TED XI stocks are chosen based not just on parameter of returns, but various complex factors.

Just thought of giving a brief above to you, so that you know that >40% CAGR is not an easy task, from an investment point of view where a certain degree of certainity and reliability is needed. In speculation, anything can happen and it's a pure gamble!!

Being a TEDdy, I know

Edited by omshivaya - 18/Oct/2007 at 1:26am
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
WallSt
Groupie
Groupie

Quote WallSt Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 3:25am
"How has the India specific MFs based out of USA performed so far? What is their last 3 year CAGR returns?"

Not bad, compare to US MF return it is very high...

I am invested in 1st one only. 2nd one is ETF.

MINDX
http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundnet/Snapshot.aspx?Country=USA&Symbol=MINDX

IFN
http://quicktake.morningstar.com/CEFNET/Snapshot.aspx?Country=USA&pgid=hetopquote&Symbol=IFN

Omjee:

Thanks for the explaining how we come to TEDX you guys are really doing great Job.  I completely agree with you that achieving  30% to 40% is not easy task at all.

I think you got me wrong here...my reply was from general observation talking to others and seeing few msg on TED from new members that expectations are quite high even from avg investor/trader. I am talking about guy who works 9 to 5 in non financial industry, hear tips from friend and story on CNBC and tell his broker to buy this stk and that stk.and expect double in a year.

We all know that even in stock  mkt making double is not easy but losing all is quite easy. What I was saying that we can discusses company here(India) where 30% to 40% CGAR is achievable by putting hard work and time behind research and lot of reading. In US you can find most  fancy stock screener free on web but almost impossible to find something like this. And even if we find it, small cap and mid cap are very much manipulated by hedge fund/shorts/Market Maker that most of the time retail investor loose big time. Once we become matured Economy like US, Japan we will not have much opportunity to find hidden Gems.

Just my 2cents..

Lakshya
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version