Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: The Big Future Brands in India - 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 10 Next >>
smartcat

Online Status: Offline
Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 3:03pm
True, Fevicol is mostly a B2B product - not used by consumers directly. Though the brand can help Pidilite rule over the Do-It-Yourself segment, it won't help the company scale up its revenues exponentially.

From the monetary point of view, I cannot think of any other brand that comes even close to good old Reliance. Both the Ambani bros are literally milking the brand by getting into new consumer sectors. A large number of posters at TED ask the question - Where should I invest? Reliance Capital or Indiabulls Financial?

Thanks to Bhatia saab, Indiabulls is pretty well known among the investing community. But ask your non-stock market acquiantances like your mom/dad/friend/sister if they have heard about Indiabulls and the answer would probably be negative. While Indiabulls has been successful with their brokerage business, they will have to work a lot harder to be successful in consumer finance business.

Reliance Capital, on the other hand, has to just 'launch' a new business. The customers will roll in almost automatically, just to check out what they have to offer this time. That is the power of the brand RELIANCE. Some of the TED members use Reliance Money - I'm pretty sure they will concur with me that 'Reliance' factor made them try out the new service.

Of course, Reliance still needs to have a solid back-end to please the customers they've got. That's the easy part. The difficult part for any new business is to get the customers in the first place - and RELCAP has got that covered. Unfair Advantage - that's what Reliance has got. 

Edited by smartcat - 22/Jul/2007 at 3:04pm
IP IP Logged
us121

Quote us121 Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 3:07pm
YOu may read the writeup
----------------

Basantji,
You have great knowledge on graphology.

I have been noticing many a times you type first two letters in capital, as in above sentence...

Any insight on this ... your typing speaks....................

ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by us121

YOu may read the writeup
----------------

Basantji,
You have great knowledge on graphology.

I have been noticing many a times you type first two letters in capital, as in above sentence...

Any insight on this ... your typing speaks....................

No that is because my fingers work faster then my mind. The mind says take the finger off the shift key but by that time the finger has already punched in another letter.Wink

SMartcat your point on Reliance is absolutely bang on. It does give them a head start no doubt, these days it is more powerful then the TATA brand.

But I think the agreement between the Ambani brothers have a claiuse whereby marathon Ambani can use the Reliance brand only for some years. See he has already made a new logo for himself. 

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by kulman

The rating agencies Crisil & Icra have kind of moat as well as brand equity owing to foreign promoters S&P and Moody's respectively. And the business is growing.

While CRISIL has displayed its strong growth profile ICRA is yet to establish itself in terms of consistent growth in revenues and profits as a listed company. Also CRISIL is the leader here and its revenues exceed that of ICRA by a huge margin.

One interesting brands that will not work as much as its brand's strength from the stock market point of view is SBI. Any ideas why? My take is that SBI has reached its saturation in terms of growth and will remain a value stock and value stock by the mere definition will grow only to the extent of the undervaluation.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 8:07pm
RBI & Indian Railways...it doesnt get any bigger than this!!!

But both are unlisted...most of the brands i think are already discussed here...why dont contact the man who knows the Future Brands...............................................Santosh Desai Wink
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 8:14pm
I hope that the country's finances do not get to the point where they have to list RBIOuch
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 8:38pm

One brand, which I hope closes sooner rather than later is "Pan Parag". I dont want "Pan Parag" or "Tulsi Zarda" in India in 2010. I know Kothari Products will not agree with me.

Edited by BubbleVision - 22/Jul/2007 at 10:20pm
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 22/Jul/2007 at 10:18pm
One brand, which I hope closes sooner rather than later is "Pan Parag". I dont "Pan Parag" or "Tulsi Zarda" in India in 2010. I know Kothari Products will not agree with me.

Bubble, watch where you are going. You just stepped on cow dung :)

One interesting brands that will not work as much as its brand's strength from the stock market point of view is SBI. Any ideas why?

In my books, SBI is a terrible brand. This is my year 2002 story - not a work of fiction, it actually happened to me -

I didn't have a credit card with me at that time. So I walked into the friendly neighborhood SBI bank branch to get the application. I saw a dog sleeping nicely at one corner. I'm not talking about an employee - I'm talking about a real dog! Anyway, I approached a friendly smiling middle-aged gentlemen. The conversation went something like this -

Me: Hi, I want to apply for a credit card.
Gentleman: Loan? You want a loan?
Me: No, No. I want a credit card. Do you have the application form?
Gentleman: Saar, credit card is like a loan. We don't have the form with us.
Me: Oh ok.
Gentleman: Go to ICICI Bank. They give credit cards quickly.
Me: Confused
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 10 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version