Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Luxories vs. Opportunity cost of money! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
manishdave

Online Status: Offline
Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by basant

Seriously I believe charity begins at home. All of us will have some cousin, some relative, some old friend some one who wants to get his daughter married off maybe an old  servant I like giving to them instead to an unknown face.

I know many people who do not take care of their near anbd dear ones and then take the whole community to sacred places. That is a sin in my dictionary.

To me my near and dear ones come first. I know this is anti communism but that is how the thought process has been developed.

Agree 100%. I would put priority for elderly people, for education to bright and hardworkind students and for medical purpose.

Gates/Buffet can not apply this theory as their close ones are already well off. So I what they are doing is for masses and absolutely right thing.

Buffet doen't own ferrari but owns plane. He has named it 'indefensible'. When it was helpful while Solomon crisis, he named it to 'somewhat defensible'.

For some people ferrari or any other car simply does not make any difference in feeling or satisfaction. Some people just can not get it but that is fact.

Two major disagreement betn Buffet and C Munger is this plane and political side. C Munger is against it and I think never uses it.

There are some businessmen(mostly very honest) who live simply. For example N Murthy. And many fund managers live lavishly too.

Living very luxuriously has side effects. Your ture freinds will keep distance from you if they are not that wealthy. Employees will get bad feeling and they send wrong message to kids.
IP IP Logged
vivekkumar_in

Quote vivekkumar_in Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by omshivaya

Whenever I have had the thought that someday I shall buy that dream car of mine, the fact that I would rather spend it on some poor person comes to my mind and I feel really really guilty. Thanks to God here, that he has kept my conscience somehow nagging me, now and then so that I do not do something stupid.

Omji,
    I think you should reconsider this point. In one of the oldest investments books written- "The Richest Man of Babylon" the author says something like this...something like (pardon my writing while I try to mimic the anglo-saxon english).

"...Gold finds itself plentiful onto whom understands the laws of it and who seeks wisdom of men and makes it a slave for it to multiply and grow like the flocks of cattle. For those who don't understand the laws of gold, it shall flee them between their fingers. Any gold that one rightfully earns or awarded to thee is rightfully his and he shall not be obligated to part with it for those who don't understand its laws. For it is the duty of the one who knows it to abide by the laws of it..."

Where gold is generally referred to as wealth of any kind.

You don't have to feel 'guilty' to spend your own money. It is rightfully earned and you deserve to spend it when you are ready. By this I don't mean that one should not give charity. Charity could be part of your wealth. Don't avoid spending, feeling guilty.

Often we forget there's a company behind every stock,and there's only one reason why stocks go up. Companies go from doing poorly to doing well or small companies grow to large companies.
P Lynch
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:38pm

Hmmm......... very intriguing debate here. While I'm not much qualified to participate in this discussion, here's one thought provoking quote:

Wealth consists not in having great possessions but in having few wants---Epicurus

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 10:40pm
I don't agree with what Jim Rogers did. I would prefer losing an opportunity to make family members unhappy, as long as I can afford it and is reasonable.

I have met Jim one-to-one and admire him a lot as an investor and his veiws but I don't adminre him as a person. Until his final marriage and had a daughter, he was one is a company and two is crowd like person.
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 12:05pm
If your networth is $1 billion, you can buy almost everything that a guy whose networth is $10 billion.

Now every individual has a particular level of networth at which they feel that they've achieved everything (wealth-wise). They lose interest (as a goal) in earning more and more money and  they try to spend time on other things on their minds.

Narayan Murthy, Azim Premji, Bill Gates, Buffet etc have already reached that particular level of networth. Vijay Mallya is not there yet.
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 12:47pm

I would like to die as dissatisfied Socrates than a pig satisfied.

- Socrates

IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 1:26am
Originally posted by vivekkumar_in

Whenever I have had the thought that someday I shall buy that dream car of mine, the fact that I would rather spend it on some poor person comes to my mind and I feel really really guilty. Thanks to God here, that he has kept my conscience somehow nagging me, now and then so that I do not do something stupid.

Omji,
    I think you should reconsider this point. In one of the oldest investments books written- "The Richest Man of Babylon" the author says something like this...something like (pardon my writing while I try to mimic the anglo-saxon english).

"...Gold finds itself plentiful onto whom understands the laws of it and who seeks wisdom of men and makes it a slave for it to multiply and grow like the flocks of cattle. For those who don't understand the laws of gold, it shall flee them between their fingers. Any gold that one rightfully earns or awarded to thee is rightfully his and he shall not be obligated to part with it for those who don't understand its laws. For it is the duty of the one who knows it to abide by the laws of it..."

Where gold is generally referred to as wealth of any kind.

You don't have to feel 'guilty' to spend your own money. It is rightfully earned and you deserve to spend it when you are ready. By this I don't mean that one should not give charity. Charity could be part of your wealth. Don't avoid spending, feeling guilty.

Thank you Vivek jee for that quote. Will try to work on it. I think I have to keep a healthy balance between both worlds.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
Mohan

Quote Mohan Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2007 at 4:15am
Originally posted by tyler_durden

i understand your point...its absolutely fine to multiply your money but after a certain point of time and after making certain amount of money one should enjoy better things in life....

one must walk on the sand before resting on a silk carpet ... so spending money on luxuries in the begining of one's life is not advisable but if one has worked hard and has built assets for himself then there is no harm in spending the hard earned money....

i have observed this trend that people who make money from equities or via investment generally don't put lot of money in luxuries e.g: buffet, jhunjhunwala and basant ji ... whereas businessmen like: vijay mallaya, bill gates, mukesh ambani etc prefer super luxuries...maybe investors know the magic of compounding and are reluctant to lose the future value of money....and businessmen are confident of generating lots of cashflow to meet the expenses bought upon by their luxuries.......

and where buffet finds interest is tough to identify: still living in his old house, driving old beatle, no space trips, no islands, no yachts, i think he has no interests except investing

Tyler,
Buffet is like that only. I don't think he would change his tastes or preferences because of what others think.  BTW, He actually drives a Cadillac now. He used to drive a Lincoln Town Car with the Lic plates THRIFTY.

The question is do we have our posessions ? or Do our posessions have us ?
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version