Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Annual reports - Reading, Understanding and Discussing.
Message Icon Topic: Annual Reports.- What to look for in? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
us121

Online Status: Offline
Quote us121 Replybullet Posted: 31/Mar/2007 at 8:07pm

Dear Vivek,

Thnks a lot for a real warm up session!

Let me tell u that i bought 2 books on this subject and more or less have gone through it, i could not get such crystal clear summarised thought on gaining insight into managerial quality, the way u have explained.

Eagerly awaiting for more posts from u on the same subject. Not necessarily financials, but as explained in your post, the real stuff which enhnces our judgemental capacity.

Thnks, Basantji, for moving my post in the right thread.

ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 01/Apr/2007 at 12:53pm
Great going Vivek bhai.

Looking forward to read more on this subject from you.

Just before you jump onto financials/ratios, do you feel following things matter, and if so why and how:

1. Independant directors on the board.
2. Number of board meetings held & the attendees.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 01/Apr/2007 at 8:06pm
Vivek,

Excellent work.
Another aspect of your personality is revealed.
You are a Teacher par excellence.
A very rare quality.

Please keep this thread alive.
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 01/Apr/2007 at 9:29pm

I just tried to pen down my thought process.

Kulman, the issue of independent directors is something I dont see having a major impact on the corporations. Even with independent directors, there is very often a sense of obligation and hence their effectiveness is reduced. In this context, I must say that I just cleared my corporate governance module, and there was a lot of things written about independent directors. But, candidly speaking, from my observation, I have seen very little effect of their effectiveness in our corporate scenario.

Board Meetings and Attendees, is in my opinion an umportant thing. I like promoter participation at board level. With Calcuttan companies, I try to attend the AGM to get a feel about the management as well. Kulamn, I try very very hard to read the management. I will give you one example. I remember a time when Kushagra Bajaj came on CNBC and talked about his company. the way he talked about, he dispalayed outright arrogance. It was near 550 then.....the rest is history. people like Baba kalyani, deepak parekh, the way they talk you will understand the seriousness. I have special regards for Baba Kalyani for his outrightness and my biggest miss is perhaps Bharat Forge. Havell's MD, Nirma's MD , Opto's MD.... just listen to them, you will realise the pith of their talks. Listen to Gautam Thapar..... this man will do wonders. If somebody wants to see Corporate Governance, look at GE Shipping.Communicating with GE Shipping is such a delight. I will reiterate here at the cost of repitition....when you invest in a company, you not only invest money, you not only invest time, but the most important thing you invest is faith.

Regards,

Vivek 
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 01/Apr/2007 at 10:54pm
...when you invest in a company, you not only invest money, you not only invest time, but the most important thing you invest is faith....

-----------------------------------------

Vivek bhai

Very very well written. Excellent.

This faith builds into conviction based on company's performance, doesn't it?

Keep on communicating.

Edited by kulman - 01/Apr/2007 at 10:56pm
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 01/Apr/2007 at 11:01pm
One thing I would like to say... kindly share all pieces of opinion you have regarding corporate communications here....I am enumerating examples I know... there may be many others... Kindly do share and enrich
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 15/Apr/2007 at 1:40pm

Analysing Profit and Loss Accounts:

Income Statement as it is also called happens to be a the first thing to look at. Balance Sheet reveals the glory of the past, Profit and Loss reveals the immediately present. So, P/L accounts have an assuring effect and at times, they revela a turnaround happening place.

Before beginning, I will like to communicate the handicaps which IO face here. I have always hunted for asset backed stocks and hence I carry no expertise for service sector stocks like banking, Software etc. So, I will be glad if someone can help in that regard. Also, its extremely difficult to standardise everything, so what I will be indulging in is a genearl talk for level I before embarking on specifics.

Entities involved in profit and Loss Account:

1.Sales/Turnover
2.Excise Duty
3.Other Income
4.Raw Material Costs
5.Salaries wages.
6.Administrative costs and overheads
7.Depreciation
8.Other Expenditure
9.Interest.
10.Taxation and other Provisions.
11.Dividend.

Turnover: Turnover represents the source of revenue. It shows the income a company makes by selling its products.So, a company always try to expand its turnover so that it can generate more and more profits. So long as marginal revenue exceeds marginal costs, the firm will try to expand its sales, subject to the limiting factors. Analysts try to look at various component of costs as a percentage to turnover to determine how much is the firm extracting from its revenues. In ratio analysis, turnover is the most commonly used component.

2.Excise Duty: Its an indirect tax paid by companies on the profuction they do. So, it has a more or less a perfect correlation to the Sales.

3.Other Income: Perhaps the most important thing we must pay attention to. They can be segregated in 2 parts:A. recurring and B. Non-recurring. Recurring Other Income is like Dividend received on Investments, Commision on service provided, Interest on loans and Advances.Such income is a regular feature and hence can be safely construed as a part of total Income. However, with Non-recurring Income, we should always examine in graeter details. Entities like profit on disposal of undertaking, tax provision write backs, Interest waivers etc. are very distorting entities. We should remove the sum of such figures from total income(turnover+Other income) to arrive at, what I call Regular Income.

4.Raw Material Costs: The Raw materials represent the material used in the manufacturing of a product. The material passes through various stages of an operating cycle. Raw materials and work-in-progress are shown as how much are they consumed, i.e. they are shown as Opening Stock+Purchases-Sold. Cost of Goods Sold perhaps reflect the most important feature of a business, the margin. Increasing turnover with increasing margin are the businesses which one must get into. However, one must observe the skope of the margin picture. The slope must be upward sloping, i.e the margins should be increasing consistently. In many businesses which are heavy dependent upon volatile commodities, the margins will keep on varying. For instance, those which depend a lot on crude, are not likely to have a consistent pattern. Also, many companies do a lot of trading activity. In such case also, margins get artificially supressed or exploded, when compared quarter or quarter.

5.Salaries and wages: Relatively an insignificant item for manufacturing business as they change in single digit percentage most of the time. So, they are actually a very important profit centre( looking at it as a corollary to cost centre). If a business can make a quantum leap in profits with a modest change in labour overheads, that will translate into increase in productivity.This becomes  very critical when a company is passing through a tough phase in the raw material front.

6.Administrative Overheads are something which we give least importance given the size of the profit and loss account. Such expenditure are fixed and semi-variable most of the times, so its beyond the control of the management to garner anything through them to increase profits significantly.

7.Depreciation: Perhaps, the most important figure which has the potential to make a lovely business into a very lacklustre business. This is a non-cash charge and in that sense, many construe it as a source of cash. If provided at very high rates, it helps in retaining cash. But certain industries do actually have a large wear and tear cost along with amortisation charge as well as impairment charge. In such cases, high depreciation is no cause of rejoice. However, as a matter of pridence, companies try to provide at higher rates. The benefit comes in the later years when the company works on practically deprecisted assets and garners more and more revenue. In this context, it should be said that repairs and maintenance if done properly along with heavy depreciation, results in most of the cases a wonderful value creation opportunity in the future.

8.Other Expenditure and extraordinary Item of expenditure: Very very important place to look at. Good companies try to debit all the expenditure in one gowhich can be otherwise deferred. So, what may appear as a mediocre performance may otherwise be an excellent result supressed by such extra-ordinary debit entries. VRS expenditure is something to be talked of in this regard. Inevitably, companies which go for VRS, do provide wonderful investment opportunity in the longer term. Look for such extra-ordinary debits and adjust EBT accordingly.

9.Interest: Trading on equity can be wonderful so long as the marginal cost exceeds the cost of debt. However, this is one single item which can totally devastate a stock and may even trigger solvency doubts.Operations performance and finance performance are indeed two different things, although inter-related. Long term investors never view a significant debt as something good.

10.Taxation: Statutory charge. However, defferred tax charge is considered good from cash retention point of view.

11.Dividend: A matter of continuous debate. A sign of assurance for some, lost opportunity for another. Personally, I am in the former league. It helps a long term investor, if he gets good dividends both from livelihood point of view and also from reinvestment point of view. Companies try to increase the adjusted per share dividends, and companies which do that always command a premium in the market. However, one should filter out special dividends from regular dividends.

I will get into ratio analysis in the next post....

Regards,

Vivek
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 15/Apr/2007 at 1:57pm
Vivek...Very very well explained everything. I am sure that this would be helpful for everyone!...Thanks.
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 16 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version