Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Large Cap Blue Chips
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Large Cap Blue Chips
Message Icon Topic: ICICI Bank vs. HDFC Bank. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 86 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 11/Oct/2006 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by basant

Increasing number of branches and ballooning customers would help the company in cross selling products. This fee base income should keep the bank in good stead. 

I had the experience of how scalable this cross selling business could become.DSP merrill Lynch is coming out with a small cap fund and HDFC Bank is wooing its cutomers day in and day out to subscribe to this "at par Rs 10 NFO".

1) I received a mail from them in my email ID
2) WHen i went to the Bank there was a person waiting  to make me an investor into this "Rs 10 at par NFO".
3) ANd I just received an SMS on my mobile about this fund. I had applied for the insta alert banking transaction facility but now they are advertising about how we could apply for this fund.

Great stock. Great concept but the price has run up hard

Edited by basant - 11/Oct/2006 at 4:16pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 12/Oct/2006 at 7:09pm
HDFC bank is raising a US $ 100 million debt. this should add to the EPS for the year since the company's RoE is significantly higher then the cost of debt.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 13/Oct/2006 at 8:16pm
I have some interesting figure on ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank, which may help in deciding which is better.

ICICI Bank                        HDFC Bank

Branches                                   614                                     535
Employees                               25984                                 14878
Advances                               1461131m                          350613
Deposits                                 1650832                            557968
Business                                3112463                             908581
Low Cost Deposit                   375105                              309383
Business per Branch               5069.20                             1698.30
Business per Employee             119.80                                 61.1
NP per Branch                              41.4                                  16.3
NP per Employee                            1.0                                    0.6

(Amount in millions rupees) source-SSKI

Though the above figures and statistics are clearly in favour of ICICI Bank,
my personal feeling is that HDFC Bank is a better Bank than ICICI Bank, due to following reasons.

1. ICICI is very aggressive and takes a lot of risk.
2. I am not really sure about the official NPA Level of the Bank.
3. I somehow feel that ICICI Bank is a high risk high gain stock where as HDFC Bank is a blue chip. They may be conservative, but they do Banking as it should be done.

Edited by s_praharaj - 13/Oct/2006 at 8:17pm
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Oct/2006 at 8:24pm
I think that you are a Banker and a Banker is the best judge on the business of another banker.
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 13/Oct/2006 at 10:29pm
Basant,

You are really great, How could you get it,
I have never given a hint.
I work as a Chief Manager in a public Sector Bank in Mumbai,

Soon I will introduce myself in detail in the appropriate column.

It might be a personal preference, but I prefer HDFC Bank.
Though ICICI Bank is a high risk game, still they have the size which can not be ignored. They have brought the Bank to such a colossal size, that if tomorrow anything adverse happens, the Govt will be the first to bail them out. They have this advantage.

Thanx again for such an accurate guess.
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Oct/2006 at 10:52pm
No, I am not great at this. I read it somewhere if I can recollect well not sure where but yes, people in the same industry have better insight then the ones from the outside.

ICICI Bank's RoE is less then its growth rate so it would have to approach the markets for equity dilutiuon and that will affect the stock's performance. Equity dilution will affect EPS etc etc.

I do not remember HDFC Bank  having done any equity offering after its IPO and has been a 30 bagger in 11 years (with dividends).

Kamath and the ladies are doing a great job at ICICI and while the Bank may become a global bank we as shareholders would be more concerned with our stock prices.No doubt it is a good bank but just that HDFC is better.

Regards,

Basant

Edited by basant - 13/Oct/2006 at 10:55pm
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2006 at 9:34pm
Another stunner from HDFC Bank. Inspite of higher provisioning 69%; the company came out with a higher net profit at 31% y-o-y. The notable items was the swelling fee income which grew at close to 44% (should grow faster due to the cross selling startegy of the Bank indicated above). ALso the net interest margin at 4% compares favourably with ICICI Bank and SBI at 2,8% each.

The strategy of the Bank to reduce interest rates as part of the festive offer indicates that the interest rate fears are close to over.This is a jewel in the crown.
IP IP Logged
monu_duggad

Quote monu_duggad Replybullet Posted: 09/Dec/2006 at 4:43pm
Icici announced merger of sangli bank with itself.

Its expected to issue additional 3.4 million shares...

Forum

Wont it lead to drop in price because of equity dilution of additional 3.4 million shares ? ( I have icici bank shares)

Also...with the hike in crr by 50 points.....how do u think its gonna impact the banking sector....will it end the party of banking stocks which r having nice run after june crash ? Or 50 basis points dont matter much....
Somehow i feel markets might overreact keeping friday's sell-off in mind..

Edited by monu_duggad - 09/Dec/2006 at 4:44pm
If you think you can,You Can
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 86 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version