Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: How to build your networth? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:02pm
If yo want up to Rs 20 lacs then ICICI or any other bank is there if you want more hen there are these NBFCs which have no such upper limit.

But I repeat. this is dangerous and has the power to wipe out the entire portfolio so only if one is willing to cut the losses should one go in for such an arrangement plus there have to be real compelling opportunities in the market.

QUOTE=praveen]
Originally posted by basant

...... Borrowing for quiet ideas can be done if the yield makes up for most of the interest costs. This is what Rakesh Jhnjhunwala did in the late 90's when he bet on Engineers India; BEL; BEML; GE Shipping etc.....

I wanted to do something similar in Jan-Mar but couldn't do it becuase the cost of funds was too high for my comfort.

Basantji,

Any thoughts on where to get leverage from at an acceptable cost of funds apart from using F&O?
[/QUOTE]
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
praveen

Quote praveen Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:07pm

If yo want up to Rs 20 lacs then ICICI or any other bank is there if you want more hen there are these NBFCs which have no such upper limit.

But I repeat. this is dangerous and has the power to wipe out the entire portfolio so only if one is willing to cut the losses should one go in for such an arrangement plus there have to be real compelling opportunities in the market.

Originally posted by praveen

...... Borrowing for quiet ideas can be done if the yield makes up for most of the interest costs. This is what Rakesh Jhnjhunwala did in the late 90's when he bet on Engineers India; BEL; BEML; GE Shipping etc.....

I wanted to do something similar in Jan-Mar but couldn't do it becuase the cost of funds was too high for my comfort.

Basantji,

Any thoughts on where to get leverage from at an acceptable cost of funds apart from using F&O?

Cost of funds via banks, NBFC etc would be over 13-14%. I was looking for funds at around 10% or lower. I wanted to do in a company so I can enjoy tax advantages on the same.

Also I understand the risks perfectly well. I generally never employ any leverage and neither do I plan to do so under normal circumstances. But Jan-March 2009 was exceptional time.

Edited by praveen - 18/Jan/2010 at 3:11pm
The quest for knowledge is a never ending Journey
IP IP Logged
TCSer

Quote TCSer Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:21pm
I have built up my entire capital by using leveraging.Remember to save 10 lacs it will take ages but u can easily get a loan of 10 lacs.Important point is where do you invest that leveraged sum & the return you get should be mare than waht you have to give.

I started out with Maruti IPO in 2003 where even IPO application of  Rs 1.25 lacs was being finaced thru 20 % margin money.SO instead of 1 application I was able to put in 7 applications & held 2000 maruti shares allotted for next 6 years.

Further I follow the adage that if the promoters are ethical & there is growth in the sector one should hold on.This I learnt the hard way after selling out cheaply several multibaggers like Divis Lab,Educomp,AIA Engg,PNB,IOB,Everest Kanto,Solar explosives & so may others.

Yes one should grab the opportunity whenever it present with gutso.This is a calculated risk one has to take.In my case when TCS IPO came there was an maximum individual employee quota for nearly 3000 shares.The quota was very poorly subscribed but I took loans of all variety  left ,right & center & applied in toto.  

Edited by TCSer - 18/Jan/2010 at 3:27pm
IP IP Logged
tigershark

Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:45pm
be careful all yu loan against shares people yu are getting interested in taking loans bcos stock prices are going up the  real time to take a loan and to to take that gamble  which would have made/broken yu was pre election.pl do not chase prices
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:49pm
Listen carefully when Goan people give advise on gambling...
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by tigershark

... ride out the business thru its growth phase does require some planning ,the planning of doing nothing

Very crucial.

Munger calls it: assiduity

IP IP Logged
FutureBull

Quote FutureBull Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 3:57pm
I am following simple strategy..by saving as much possible and investing with some short term trading..as mentioned by fellow boarders one needs to build handsome surplus to hang boots.. i think one needs at least Rs 5 Cr(without own home) to stay comfortable for times to come which would include kids' education, home loans and keep following one's passion i.e. "investing"..as an ordinary investor one might be required to keep good amount in liquid/debt form to take care of 3-5 yrs of expenses for bear run or other shocks...

I did use ready credit facility provided by Citibank for a month with almost negligible cost..i drew arnd 1 lac from that facility and bought Lupin in delivery after giving some thought(in fact wanted to buy futures of Yes Bank).. and i got shock when it went down by 5% next day but by end of month made around 12% and paid back to Citi on last day of the month with 0.8% gross cost including tax & fees which was supposed to be free..anyway i decided not to do it again .. i was very sure about Lupin as it was going through very strong rerating.. it might have gone wrong but my luck was good enuf..

I have decided not to use leverage until i'm 110% sure..
‘The market always does what it’s supposed to — BUT NEVER WHEN’.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 18/Jan/2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by tigershark

be careful all yu loan against shares people yu are getting interested in taking loans bcos stock prices are going up the  real time to take a loan and to to take that gamble  which would have made/broken yu was pre election.pl do not chase prices

A bubble like situation is getting created in LOAN AGAINST GOLD JEWELRY.

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version