Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Equity Research Analysts - Whats the job like? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
subu76

Online Status: Offline
Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:14pm
I find that industry insiders are much more prone to trade on tips, so called insider information (which everyone on Dalal Street knows) and are often more cynical about how the stock market behaves than most people on TED are. Most folks are barred from trading but they usually use shadow accounts

Anyway, for a finance industry aspirant i'd imagine a slogging a few months to clear CAT and join one of the IIMs will be extremely advisable .... at a min it will help land a good job since Bombay is a tough and expensive city to live in

Edited by subu76 - 16/Mar/2011 at 10:15pm
IP IP Logged
Crazy Horse

Quote Crazy Horse Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:27pm
This was indeed a major issue till the 90's, i was told by my seniors. During those times it was even condoned (informally ofcourse) as a part of compensation!

But this has seriously been curbed in the last 10 years or so especially with the advent of MNC's who typically implement US level policies everywhere. I am sure there are still individual level black sheeps, but at an institutional level it is pretty much eradicated...but yeah the temptation will always remain...as can be seen by the behavior of Rajat Gupta in the US
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out and meet it (Thucydides, Circa 460 BC - 400 BC)
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 10:52pm
I actually can't belive how stupid this dude Rajaratnam was. At a min you'd expect him to route the money to make it somewhat hard to detect.
IP IP Logged
Kautilya

Quote Kautilya Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Crazy Horse

ER is just like any other division in an investment bank involving mindless monotony in the first few years, attracting the most ambitious and smart minds for the payday that MAY come once you become a senior guy

Very true. Let me vent out my frustration here by saying that this applies to the IT side of it also :). I also found that you need to be self motivated and be ready to work long hours and weekends on a thankless job that would be completely devoid of any sorts of creativity or utilism.
My indecision is final.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 9:47am
it is interesting but most of the IT guys that I have met or talked to seem very frustated that is inpite of the decent money these guys make!
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
values

Quote values Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 9:54am
Obviously because they are not satisfied with what they get. They compare salaries of their peers from other companies and when the difference is seemingly high, they start getting frustrated...

Originally posted by basant

it is interesting but most of the IT guys that I have met or talked to seem very frustated that is inpite of the decent money these guys make!
Knowledge is power!
IP IP Logged
anthro

Quote anthro Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 11:42am

Few or no IT services company has bargaining power with client today -Contracts are heavily one sided in favour of client adding to huge stress to the IT employee - a tiny example - 5 or 10 % productivity gain to be given to client per year come what may which many of these firms meet by moving out employees from that project.
IP IP Logged
manish_okhade

Quote manish_okhade Replybullet Posted: 16/Mar/2011 at 11:52am

I feel IT has the best thing that has happened to me. I am earnign decent money and getting international exposure and interacts and travels with differtent nationality. After IT only i realized that how national boundaries are diminishing.

I enjoyed well connected world better via phones, intenet and so on. I feel myself in a more mature position to see and benefit from recent technical happenings. Not all but many customers are asking and appreciating my developed solutions globally.

So overall its very satisfying but on another note Money is not a sole criteria to judge the anything. Once one is in a job (Naukri) then one is by default a Naukar should be ready bear some job releated pains. One should not feel jealous and frustrated by others, on the note Mr Ambani, Mr Adani and so on didn't study much but now providing jobs to best brains of the India so if one is extremely money minded then better switch to having the business not any Naukri rest follows automatically.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version