Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Direct tax code: Tax liability and you Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Hitesh Shah

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by ananthap

So HOW-TO become a corporate? ...

Good one Smile !
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

9Stock, a little more here....

Things are looking "worser & worser" (if you aren't a corporate). 

Yeah, it seems. I am reading on this topic whatever i could since i have read the bill.

Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 9:32am
9Stock, I hope you also downloaded the discussion document. That tries to convince the public of the various new measures whereas the "bill" is totally formal and dry and to the point.

From what I can see, the drafters seem to have selectively picked examples from other countries to boost their case to remove personal exemptions and to re-impose LTCG tax at the same rate as STCG tax. The removal of STT has been cheered by the trading class.

It is the investor (direct or via equity MFs) who will be badly hit with the re-imposition of LTCG tax. The only distinction between STCG & LTCG taxes will be the indexation benefit which, to me, is as fictional as the gormint-manipulated inflation figures.

The discussion document also acknowledges the possibility that the sale of an asset can suddenly push one into a higher tax bracket but this hasn't worried the drafters.

10.4 ... Secondly, the capital gain realized when a capital asset is sold is usually the accumulated appreciation in the value of the asset over a number of years.  The 'bunching' of such appreciation in the year in which the asset is sold pushes the seller into a higher marginal tax bracket if the value of the asset is sufficiently high. If no special treatment is accorded to capital gains, a progressive income tax would discriminate against those whose income from capital assets is in the form of capital gains as compared to those whose income is derived from interest or dividends.

And the usual state of affairs will continue. We will be taxed on par with developed countries but we will not benefit as they do from the superior amenities and social security.

Edited by Hitesh Shah - 22/Aug/2009 at 5:21pm
IP IP Logged
catcall

Quote catcall Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 9:38am
I like the choice of words (euphemism) in the capital gains tax issue, which says " abolishing the distinction between short term and long term capital gains tax" rather than talking of the reitroduction of Long term cap. gains tax. It does make it a bit milder ( for those who take the trouble of paying capital gains tax on their stock market plays)
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 9:56am
Originally posted by catcall

I like the choice of words (euphemism) in the capital gains tax issue, which says " abolishing the distinction between short term and long term capital gains tax" rather than talking of the reitroduction of Long term cap. gains tax. It does make it a bit milder ( for those who take the trouble of paying capital gains tax on their stock market plays)

Perhaps, we're moving to 1984 (of Orwell), in which words like bad were replaced by ungood and very bad by double plus ungood.

I forsee a lot of slippage here LOL. If they had stuck to STT (even at a higher rate) and removed STCG & LTCG taxes entirely on equity traded on the stock exchanges they would certainly get revenue each and every day! And that too on the principal amount! And avoidance / evasion would be jeeero!

I guess a similar thing is happening with all those doing intraday trading at home! They must be playing the system - banking on the probability of not being caught Tongue Wink

Edited by Hitesh Shah - 16/Aug/2009 at 9:57am
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Hitesh Shah

I guess a similar thing is happening with all those doing intraday trading at home! They must be playing the system - banking on the probability of not being caught 

Perhaps Tax Authorities are lenient towards this breed of market participants bcoz they know such traders hardly make any money in the end.
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
samirarora

Quote samirarora Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 10:09am
Whichever way you look at it, public= scr*w*d.
The tax system sucks mainly because the people who comply are picked upon further by the tax authorities and yet, there are so many living great lives , have fancy cars and houses and yet dont pay a penny.

Instead of trying to suck out more money out of people already paying so many taxes for so many years, government should concentrate on people who dont pay anything at all.. ie increase their tax base.

and second and more important, there should be accountability to the last rupee for the hard earned money of public... all of us know, how hard it is to make money.

these are the two complaints i have and it seems that in the new bill, both of these matters have not really been dealt with at all.
best wishes,
samir.
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 16/Aug/2009 at 10:15am
If changes takes place as per tax code it is bad economics. It encourages speculation(removal of STT) and discourages investment(removal of LTCG). It will also hurt foriegn flow and local money moving to investment. Ppl would rather buy land/realestate and show selling price as they wish. Even mutual funds wont be an attractive option.

This code is very bullish for dabba wala business. Again and again this guys forget that too much tax will create black mkt.

Good economics is encourage saving and investing. That is what helps the growth.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version