Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Buffet, Lynch and other legends - Investing Strategies
Message Icon Topic: The Warren Buffett school of Investing. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 221 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 29/Oct/2006 at 11:43am
Kulman..... and all the Buffet fans.... specially for you...

you can see Warren Buffett speak to a group of MBA sudents at University of Florida
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 30/Oct/2006 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by basant

A couple of years back Manish sent me a nice writeup. It stated that General Motors had a hole in their retirement fund and to bridge that they had taken a long term debt component which would be invested in the capital markets the incremental return would be used to fund that hole.Manish do you still have that piece/link?

Sorry Basant,
I dont have that link right now. But I will post it if I come across it.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 30/Oct/2006 at 10:08pm
BubbleVision

Thanks a lot for that video link to Buffet's lecture. All these days I had transcript of this but it's always great to see the legend talking.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 4:14pm
BubbleVision: It is absolutely great on your part to post these links. yesterday I heard the Buffet thing twice - only the first half. I replayed the first 45 minutes since I wanted everything to sink in. Would play the second part today at night again so that it gets into my black matter and turns it grey

Edited by basant - 31/Oct/2006 at 4:16pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 31/Oct/2006 at 10:37pm
One can download the movie in wmv format (>300MB) here:

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 01/Nov/2006 at 6:55am
If one wants to have text (transcript in pdf format) of Buffet's talk to MBA students at Univ of Fl, please click here (the size of this file is ~120KB)

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 05/Nov/2006 at 6:18am
I saw that Buffet video referred by BubbleVision many times over. It's like a discourse on life....

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 07/Nov/2006 at 5:38pm

Buffet's hamburger analogy:

Economic theory tells us that higher prices dampen demand and lower prices increase demand. But when the stock market witnesses a bull run, investors do not behave like normal consumers. The higher stock prices go, the more they appeal to investors, a psychology that often proves detrimental to the interests of both investors as well as the market.

Buffett elucidates a point beautifully in a letter he sent to his shareholders in 1997.
“A short quiz: If you plan to eat hamburgers throughout your life and are not a cattle producer, should you wish for higher or lower prices for beef?
Likewise, if you are going to buy a car from time to time but are not an auto manufacturer, should you prefer higher or lower car prices? These questions, of course, answer themselves.
But now for the final exam: If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong.
Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they are elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. In effect, they rejoice because prices have risen for the ‘hamburgers’ they will soon be buying. This reaction makes no sense. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices.”

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 221 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version