Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Personal Finance - Startegies
 The Equity Desk Forum :Personal Finance & Lifestyle-Strategies & problems :Personal Finance - Startegies
Message Icon Topic: Financial Planning and Investing Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
omshivaya

Online Status: Offline
Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 03/Feb/2008 at 9:29am
Great Vivek jee. Yes, it is.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 17/Jun/2008 at 9:30pm

Set it and forget it: Following the financial news doesn't mean you have to trade on it

By Andrea Coombes, MarketWatch

Sure, the markets get volatile but I figure that, eventually, average historical returns will work in my favor. And, to my mind, stock-market trading, if you're not spending many hours a week working on it, is little more than a guessing game.

The fact is, a buy-and-hold investor with a decently diversified portfolio should celebrate her ability to remain firm in the face of financial-news tidal waves which prompt many, less staunch, to jump in and out of investments, often at the worst possible time.

In fact, if you're not going to be an active, pay-attention-every-day investor, setting up a simple plan and then forgetting about it may be the best retirement-savings decision you make. "What is often problematic is the middle ground. People will set something up and then follow it intermittently and on a whim make changes," said John Nofsinger, associate professor of finance at Washington State University and author of "The Psychology of Investing."

Those who follow the markets tangentially but don't take time for deeper analysis tend to buy high and sell low.

Keep in mind that your focus is not necessarily to top the market. "People are just so much into 'investing is about beating the market,'"

"I do virtually nothing. I do less than I do for my car. There's not even a need to change the oil," Statman said.

If rebalancing worries you, don't even do that except perhaps once every few years. But make sure you do it right. "If the stock market went up that year and maybe bonds didn't, so you take a little out of the stock market and put it in bonds to reallocate to where your targets originally were, I think that's a good strategy," Nofsinger said. "But most people don't do that. If the stock market goes up and they decide to reallocate their portfolio, they end up putting more money into stocks," he said. "They follow the winners. That's where your biases are causing you to do the wrong thing. If you have a good strategy, rebalancing to original targets, and you can keep to it, that's great."

Keep in mind that you should avoid this risk with money you need soon, say, in the next year or two

We have no idea what's coming tomorrow, and past stock-market performance does not predict future results. But what is your alternative? Stick all your cash in a money-market account, a CD or, slightly riskier, bonds? You are not avoiding risk that way, simply shifting to the risk that inflation will trump your return.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
experteye

Quote experteye Replybullet Posted: 23/Jul/2008 at 4:21pm
SOME FINANCIAL FORMULAE :

1. Compounded interest :

I want to take a loan of Rs 1 lakh to buy a used car. How much will the car cost me at an annual interest rate of 8 per cent for four years?

The compound interest formula can be used here to calculate the final cost, which would include the loan amount and the interest paid. The amount that is actually paid for Rs 1 lakh is Rs 1,36,048.90. The total amount of interest charged for borrowing Rs 1 lakh is Rs 36,048.90.

Formula: Future value = P(1 + R)^N

Type in: =100000(1+8%)^4 and hit enter. P: amount borrowed; R: rate of interest; N: time in years.

Also used for: Calculating the maturity value on lumpsum investment (bank fixed deposits and National Savings Certificate, for example) over a fixed period at a certain rate of interest.

2. Formula: CAGR

I had invested Rs 1 lakh in a mutual fund five years back at an NAV of Rs 20. Now the NAV is Rs 70. How should I calculate my returns on an annual basis?

Compound annualised growth rate (CAGR) will be used here to calculate the growth over a period of time. The gain of Rs 50 over five years on the initial NAV of Rs 20 is a simple return of 250 per cent (50/20 * 100). However, it should not be construed as 50 per cent average return over five years.

Formula: CAGR = {[(M/I)^(1/N)] ? 1} * 100

Type in: =(((70/20)^(1/5))-1)*100 and hit enter. M: maturity value; I: initial value; N: time in years. CAGR here is 28.47%.

Also used for: Calculating the annualised returns on a lumpsum investment in shares

3. Internal rate of return:

I paid Rs 18,572 every year on a moneyback insurance policy bought 20 years back. Every fifth year, I received Rs 40,000 back and Rs 4.5 lakh on maturity. What was my rate of return?

The internal rate of return (IRR) has to be calculated here. It is the interest rate accrued on an investment that has outflows and inflows at the same regular periods.

In the excel page type Rs 18,572 as a negative figure (-18572), as it is an outflow, in the first cell. Paste the same figure till the twentieth cell.

Then, as every fifth year has an inflow of Rs 40,000, type in Rs 21,428 (40,000-18,572) in every fifth cell. In the twentieth cell, type in ?18572. In the twenty first cell, type in Rs 4,50,000, which is the maturity value of the policy.

Then click on the cell below it and type: = IRR(A1:A21) and hit enter.

5.28% will show in the cell. This is your internal rate of return.

Also used for: Calculating returns on insurance endowment policies.

4. XIRR :

I bought 500 shares on 1 January 2007 at Rs 220, 100 shares on 10 January at Rs 185 and 50 shares at Rs 165 on 18 May 2008. On 21 June 2008, I sold off all the 650 shares at Rs 655. What is the return on my investment?

XIRR is used to determine the IRR when the outflows and inflows are at different periods. Calculation is similar to IRR's. Transaction date is mentioned on the left of the transaction.

In an excel sheet type out the data from the top most cell as shown here. Outflows figures are in negative and inflows in positive. In the cell below with the figure 4,25,750, type out

=XIRR (B1:B4,A1:A4)*100

Hit enter. The cell will show 122.95%, the total return on investment.

Also used for: Calculating MF returns, especially SIP, or that for unit-linked insurance plans

5. Tax return :

My father wants a bank FD at 10 per cent return for five years. He pays income tax. What will be the returns?

The post-tax return has to be calculated here. The idea is to know the final returns on a fully taxable income. Interest income from the bank is taxed as per your tax slab.

Formula: ROI ? (ROI * TR)=Post-tax return

Type in: =10 ? (10 * 30.9%) and hit enter. You will get 6.91%

ROI: rate of interest; TR: tax rate (depends on tax slab)

Also used for: Calculating post-tax returns of national savings certificates, post-office time deposits, and Senior Citizens' Savings Scheme.

6. Pre-tax yield :

My brother says that the investment in public provident fund (PPF), which gives 8 per cent, is the best. Isn't 8 per cent a low rate of return?

An investment's pre-tax yield tells us if its return is high or low. The return on PPF (8 per cent) is tax-free. Also, this has to compared with returns of a taxable income to estimate its worth. For someone paying a tax of 30.9 per cent, the pre-tax yield in PPF is 11.57 per cent. At present, there is no fixed, safe and assured-return option that has 11.57 per cent return and a post-tax return comparable to PPF's 8 per cent.

Formula: Pre-tax yield = ROI / (100-TR)*100

Type in: =8/(100-30.9)*100 and hit enter. You will get 11.57%. ROI: rate of interest, TR: tax rate, (depends on tax slab)

Also used for: Calculating the yield on an Employees' Provident Fund or any other tax-free instrument.

7. Inflation :

My family's monthly expense is Rs 50,000. At an inflation rate of 5 per cent, how much will I need 20 years hence with the same expenses?

The required amount can be calculated using the standard future value formula. Inflation means that over a period of time, you need more money to fund the same expense.

Formula: Required amt.=Present amt. *(1+inflation) ^no. of years

Type in: =50000*(1+5% or .05)^20 and hit enter. You will get Rs 1,32,664 as the answer, which is the required amount.

Also used for: Calculating maturity value on an investment.

8. Purchasing power :

My family's monthly expense is Rs 50,000. At an inflation rate of 5 per cent, how much will be the purchasing value of that amount after 20 years?

Inflation increases the amount you need to spend to fetch the same article and in a way reduces the purchasing power of the rupee. Here, Rs 50,000 after 20 years at an inflation of 5 per cent will be able to buy goods worth Rs 18,844 only.

Formula: Reduced amt.= Present amt. / (1 + inflation) ^no. of yrs

Type in: =50000/(1+5%)^20 and hit enter. You will get Rs 18,844, which is the reduced amount.

9. Real rate of return :

My father wants to make a one-year bank FD at 9 per cent. On maturity, he says, the capital will be preserved and he would get assured return on it.

It is true that fixed deposit is safe and gives assured returns. However, after adjusting for inflation, the real rate of return can be negative.

Formula: Real rate of return=[(1+ROR)/(1+i)-1]*100

Type in: =((1+9%)/(1+11%)-1)*100 and hit enter. -1.8% is the real rate of return. ROR: Rate of return per annum; i: rate of inflation (11 per cent here).

10. Doubling / tripling money:

can get 12 per cent return on my equity investments. In how many years can I double or even triple my money?

Formula: No. of years to double = 72/expected return

Type in: =72/12 and hit enter. You will get 6 years. For tripling, type in: =114/12 and hit enter. You will get 9.5 years. For quadrupling, type in: =144/12 and hit enter to get 12 years.

more risk,more profit but have a vision before taking risk,itis all about investment in equities market.
IP IP Logged
Brittany

Quote Brittany Replybullet Posted: 28/Jul/2008 at 8:52pm
Thanks experteye, for these formulas. :)
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only a page.
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 07/Mar/2009 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by experteye

SOME FINANCIAL FORMULAE :.......

Nice post. Thanks.
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 19/Mar/2009 at 1:09pm
Smart cat wrote:
It would be interesting to find out what percentage of debt mutual fund (where there is no TDS) investors declare and pay tax on interest earned.

The question of interest does not arise.

In the case of debt mutual funds, there are two things to consider. The capital which usually appreciates and dividend paid, if you take the dividend option.
For dividends, a distribution tax is cut by the MF before paying you and so the dividend is tax-free.
As regards redemption of units, one has to pay long-term or short term capital gains tax on the difference between the cost of acquisition and cost of redemption.

In the case of STCG, the tax rate will the marginal tax rate.

In the case of LTCG, it is 10% without indexation or 20% with.

In both cases, surcharge, cess, etc. apply.

Disclaimer: I'm not qualified!
IP IP Logged
9StockPortfolio

Quote 9StockPortfolio Replybullet Posted: 17/Apr/2009 at 5:11pm
If we want to build fortune tomorrow we have to start today. but how?
Suppose if i want to have 1 crore in next 10 years, then with how much money i should start with? how can i have that much money.? Should i borrow from friends?relatives? parents?Loans? properties?

anybody has done that before? anybody thinking big?
Pursuit of Value
IP IP Logged
Ashutosh

Quote Ashutosh Replybullet Posted: 06/Jun/2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 9StockPortfolio

If we want to build fortune tomorrow we have to start today. but how?Suppose if i want to have 1 crore in next 10 years, then with how much money i should start with? how can i have that much money.? Should i borrow from friends?relatives? parents?Loans? properties?anybody has done that before? anybody thinking big?

Hi 9stock,

I am just putting my views as you would be knowing that I am new to investing.

I feel at least we should have 10 L to have 1 crore in 10 years.
And based on some calculations posted here if the principal gives 25% CAGR then it will be somewhere to 1 crore.

I am also thinking big but just investing what all I have.I think there are not much in our hands unless you come up and start some innovative pioneer business.
I am also thinking of restaurant business...but long way down the line...
My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version