Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Indian Stocks – Time to aggressively load on! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 48 Next >>
deepinsight

Online Status: Offline
Quote deepinsight Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

Basant-Sir,

This leads us to the most important question of all.  Is it a good time to leverage?

I think You have said in other threads that one can leverage during some special circumstances.  Is this one such special situation where one can take a personal loan to buy shares?

ThinkDifferent: IMO

WB has said it quite well. One should not risk somethings which is important (in this case solvency, capital etc) for something less important (over sized gains) if there is some probablity of failure.

Just my two bits 
"Investing is simple, but not easy." - Warren Buffet
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 4:48pm
  Even if Sensex falls 10 percent,the fall will be narrow and some stocks and sectors will outperform hereon.
Ajith
IP IP Logged
Musketeer

Quote Musketeer Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 4:50pm
That was very well put. Full of deep insight. Big%20smile
ThinkDifferent: This is a time to put in investible cash you may be having or realigning your portfolio to choose the best horses (though there is never a wrong time for this). But this is not a time to withdraw cash from the market, atleast in my view.
Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by basant

Didn't someone say that trying to catch the bottom gets you a handful of sh*t!!!

Yra Harris, Plexis Asset Management, Chicago IL
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

Basant-Sir,

This leads us to the most important question of all.  Is it a good time to leverage?

I think You have said in other threads that one can leverage during some special circumstances.  Is this one such special situation where one can take a personal loan to buy shares?

I am not averse to leverage provided it is not in the F&O market because then your broker does not make you buy and sell for his own vested interest. If you are buying on a personal loan ensure that the loan component is not more then 20% of the total equity. For example if you have Rs 80 take Rs 20 and make it upto Rs 100 so Rs 20 is 20% of the loan amount. That will help you survive from a bad day.

If you are working and have aregular flow of income you could leverage and pay off your investment in 24-36 months! When you can have your car on installment why not your investment provided you can stay solvent for the entire length of the loan tenure.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
hkumar

Quote hkumar Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 5:03pm

Basant ji, excellent analysis!!

I do agree that long term market is in bullish trend but does catching a falling knife make sense? Isn’t it better to wait and start investing when there is some light at the end of tunnel?

Given the US recession a distinct possibility, banks started disclosing the exposures and figures of GDP growth getting revised downward… I feel to sit on cash for some more time and start investing when things start looking little bright.

I do remember before the start of this bull-run many blue chip companies were available at throw away prices and there were no buyers and SENSEX was languishing around 2800

IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 5:06pm
When you can have your car on installment why not your investment 

That's an interesting quote.

Can I write off my interest costs against short term capital gains?
IP IP Logged
hkumar

Quote hkumar Replybullet Posted: 06/Mar/2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by smartcat

When you can have your car on installment why not your investment 

That's an interesting quote.

Can I write off my interest costs against short term capital gains?

No, to do that you need to show the gains as business gains.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 48 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version