Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Build careers in Finance
 The Equity Desk Forum :Careers :Build careers in Finance
Message Icon Topic: Strategy to be used by a fresh graduates Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:54am

Strangely I have always thought (and believed) that markets can be understood best by reading experiences (autobiographies).

MOst of the things that we are taught in these courses are irrelevant and based on hypothesis. FOr instance there is something called the dividend discount model which computes the price of a stock by looking at how much dividend a company pays.

This method is more theoritical and has little ptactical relevance.

In case degrees do not matter and you are not looking for a job once you complete the course I can suggest to you an alternative but very interesting method.
1) Make a list of 20 - 25  autobiographies/books on the masters in business
2) Read them over very slowly. In fact i never try to finish reading a book in less then a month; underlining each important thought. I prefer treating them as a school text books and not a novel.
3) The total budget could be between Rs 12,000- Rs 15,000.
4) I can assure you that there is no better method to learn then this.

It is strange but when you try to look for a job on the basis of these books read -  it does not count!

Edited by basant - 13/Sep/2006 at 6:57am
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 7:05am
Not sure about all but normally they are distance learning courses. The International CFA is a distance learning course as well. In fact these guys (ICFAI) had a very similar contents and started marketing it in the name of CFA. the international CFA guys (AIMR) did not like this and if you are a CFA from ICFAI hyderabad you cannot label yourself as one outside India.

WIth all these FII/foreign brokerages coming into india they are now looking at international CFA's and not the local ones.

I think that your engineering degree can get you more money then a CFA one.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:46am
Please list yout favourite books, which you feel are MUST READ for investors.
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 10:55am

I would. In fact I have been trying to write on the section you started but just not been able to organize things.

IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:20am

Great! Waiting for that valuable information. You are right, this investment of 10/15,000 would go a long way in helping one understand the capital markets.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
prosperity

Quote prosperity Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 11:52am
Thanks Basantji,

I would make sure that i read biographies as slow text books..

BUT that does not Completely solve the problem that i wanted to -

I believe v. strongly in Fundamenals. I want to do a fundamental analysis of any new company in 1-2 hours (ofcourse, with help of internet) ..

Just as you do ... and take my words - you do it very well...

So i need to understand the concepts of financial ratios ... which i read some material on the net and followed it up ...

But the deeper understanding of economics - like how interest rates effect currency exchange rates .. how does fiscal deficit impact both of the above .. how does capex impact companies in long/short term.. why people who are confident of their ventures - why don't they take more debt rather than diluting equity .. etc. etc.

i thought to understand these i need some basic course .... and either some basic financial and economics books can do me a good OR a small course ...

pls. suggest. Thanks !

IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:20pm
Sir, Its only money that I want to switch to Finance it is my interest and passion and without degree I cant do anything this is the sad part. You are right that these things can be learned by reading biographies rather than theory. What ever I know I have learnt it that way, but you need to fire in you, thats for sure and money alone cant bring that, this is what I think..

Regards,
Reetesh.
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 12:22pm
again I made a mistake, just to try and type fast missed a important sentence, It`s not only money, rather that Its only money.
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 14 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version