Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Equity Valuation Techniques
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Equity Valuation Techniques
Message Icon Topic: Pitfalls of investing in a high PE stock. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
go4sheel

Online Status: Offline
Quote go4sheel Replybullet Posted: 26/Sep/2010 at 2:20am
nice one manish...
IP IP Logged
khokhadream

Quote khokhadream Replybullet Posted: 27/Sep/2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by manish_okhade

Originally posted by tarkeshwar

Just a general comment - Most of the current software companies in India are just making use of the arbitrage opportunity arising out of the differential between salaries in India and USA. I don't see companies here innovating or building products. As with any arbitrage opportunity, the differential is going to shrink over time, whether it happens through competition (among Indian companies or from other countries), rising rupee, slowdown in US or increase in salaries in India. This is bound to happen.

Here is my observation on this comment:

1) IT story is started by few firstcomers and they noted significant growth in initial phase due to cheap talaent availability and cost arbitrage

2)In 2nd phase, many others noticed this phenomenon and strted opening their own shops thus competitions comes into picture.

3) In 3rd phase competition led to salary hikes for talent poaching and salaries are still lower than US but reducing the cost arbitrage.

Now IT space is crowded and lost the purchasing power due to competition. All players can not continue to pay high salary and at the same time demand higher billing rates from customer. This will eventually lead to consolidation or many small players will be wiped out from the market. All big players have enough cash to buy small players and buying opportunity is good for them because it comes with new customer base.

Second possibility is the migration of work to new geos where cost arbitrage is still better than india but i am seeing there are issues like availability of abundant talent, process awareness etc. Hence above 1st possibility is very likely.

Just want to add something related to competition.
I am in U.S for about 5 years and have worked in about 6 different companies during that period.
I have noticed that indian and chinese engineers make up for around 60% of total on an average in the companies where I worked, Inspite of the fact that they are minority here. As of now I am not able to find a single Engineer from Latin America and border country Mexico despite the fact that their population in US is many time more than Indians.
So who is going to compete. Only competition I see is china but the market is so big that both will eat the fruits luxuriously.
IP IP Logged
go4sheel

Quote go4sheel Replybullet Posted: 27/Sep/2010 at 1:17pm
Why should growth rate not be more than ROE?

is it because the ROE will come down then...?
IP IP Logged
vijayM

Quote vijayM Replybullet Posted: 27/Sep/2010 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by go4sheel

Why should growth rate not be more than ROE?

is it because the ROE will come down then...?

explore this thread (start from page-1):

http://www.theequitydesk.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=119

Edited by vijayM - 27/Sep/2010 at 2:19pm
If a business does well, the stock eventually follows:Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version