Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 7:47am
Originally posted by tushar

Basantji,

Going ahead with the same topic, at times do you think or are you too worried when TEDies almost blindly follow your picks or throws?? I am sure you might have got some difficult time in the whole lifespan of TED wherein you might have come across a situation wherein you feel that people have developed a tendency to follow you....that they buy and sell some stocks - just because you think that that's the right way to do it....Does this make you worried at times? Even though its known and expected in black and white that everybody is at his OWN risk when he is playing with his own money, kya aap ko yeh cheez se kabhi pareshani hue hai???

Even off lately, I have seen TED'ies giving portfolio recommendations wherein they now throw all *18 companies and recommend Axis and Yes. Same case happened with ABN.

I understand that your views and changes therein were fully expressed on the respective forums and you have 1000% right to do it, but what I am not comfortable is people taking these at face values -- in some ways this is just like people following RJ or Damani -  even though TED has some very good discussions and views and counter-views.

Absolutely that is a worry. With some informed people we would have a few uninformed ones and those are the ones that worry me. IF I buy Axis then Axis is certainly not the best stock to own in a country with over 6000 companies.

But that helps us in being analytical. I do not want to write randomly but try and think logically and objectively.But having known most of the people over here I am sure they would excuse an error in judgement but then it is the new ones that we are a bit apprehensive about.After all I have seen how RD gets a bashing at MC chat when things do not work out the way he thought them to.

Edited by basant - 17/Oct/2007 at 7:51am
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Mohan

Quote Mohan Replybullet Posted: 17/Oct/2007 at 9:08am

Bansantji,

By far, till now this is the best quote that I have ever come across on TED:

"TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water."

Hats off to you for putting such wonderful words!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tusharji,
bucket only ? I am swimming in it. Ganga Snan is cleansing of the Soul and TED snan is for the cleansing of mungeri sins.

Edited by Mohan - 17/Oct/2007 at 9:13am
Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful.
IP IP Logged
PKB2000

Quote PKB2000 Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Mohan

Bansantji,

By far, till now this is the best quote that I have ever come across on TED:

"TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water."

Hats off to you for putting such wonderful words!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tusharji,
bucket only ? I am swimming in it. Ganga Snan is cleansing of the Soul and TED snan is for the cleansing of mungeri sins.

The word sin is getting high premium in TED nowadays!~!
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso
IP IP Logged
deveshkayal

Quote deveshkayal Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 12:36pm
Even off lately, I have seen TED'ies giving portfolio recommendations wherein they now throw all *18 companies and recommend Axis and Yes. Same case happened with ABN.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Great point. From now onwards, I will recommend Zee News and Champagne Indage !!!
"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beat the guy with a 130 IQ. Rationality is essential"- Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 12:51pm
TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy.

Time for my confessions. My situation is not very different from those weight loss/ hair loss BEFORE and AFTER ads in newspapers.

BEFORE:

- I was fat (30 stocks) and had lot of flab in the middle. My original thought process was that since Index has 30 something stocks, I should have a similar number in my portfolio - across almost all the sectors.

- I was almost bald and had very little hair (conviction in a stock) on my head. Like the suit boot waley who manage mutual funds, I would rarely keep more than 5 - 6% of my wealth in a single stock.

- Girls never used to like me much and used to ignore me all the time. My portfolio would always trail or just about equal the index returns.

AFTER:

After some TED treatment, I am a changed man.

- The flab in the middle is gone, and in its place, I have a six pack abs. Six stocks that constitute almost 75% of my portfolio.

- I have lot more conviction in the stocks I own. At one point of time, I had 25% of my money in one stock.

- I am now nimble enough to move my money from one sector to another sector.

- Right now, I'm not only thrashing the index, but am also getting close to beating most of the suit boot waley (MFs)  
IP IP Logged
xbox

Quote xbox Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 1:13pm
TED & how it influenced my investing Strategy.....

B Use to think mutual fund is best way to participate in stocks.
A Think that mutual fund is also one of the way to participate but not necessarily the best way.

B Sleepless nights on only 2 nights...a. When market falls b. When market rises (thinking market will fall tomorrow).
A Sleepless nights thinking 2010 or so.

B Use to believe in almost all except myself.
A Believe in me all the time. If something is not clear to me even after  trying many times, then I blame to my comprehension not conviction.

B Use to browse MC.
A Browse TED.

B Hungry for information.
A Hungry to know the source of information first.

Edited by xbox - 18/Oct/2007 at 1:13pm
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 2:00pm
Oh.....my innocent question has opened up nice discussion thread!

Very intriguing thoughts.

Taking cue from SmartCat....

Before: sirf hansi mazaak
After: More hansi mazaak & mazaak mazaak mein portfolio gain.

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 18/Oct/2007 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by basant

·          I do not care if some one calls and tells me that I made a 100 bagger in Unitech because making a 100 bagger from a 1% allocation can create excitement but making a 100 bagger from a 50% allocation can change a life!

·          I learnt that markets could go higher then we think and lower then we fear.

·          I learnt about Buffet and Pabrai.

·          I learnt how an engineer who had little financial knowledge could pick up a winner and stick to it.

·          I learnt how a person  who is barely 20 could bet on stocks  with reason.

·          I learnt the passion that makes people who are not doing any other work. have a dream about creating wealth from this market.

·          I learnt that chatting sites and discussion forum is a place where people can communicate for 15 months without using abusive language.

·          I learnt that there is more to life then making a lot of money.I get several offers of a partnership and turning this site as pay but that is not what TED was conceived for. There are several ways to make money.

·          I learnt how much we could help each other without writing a single check. TED is like a river that flows across our homes and all that we have to do is go out and take a bucket of water.

·          Overall I have gained from TED as much as you all have but in my own ways  

Clearly, one of the best posts on the forum!
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version