Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Identifying Multibaggers
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Identifying Multibaggers
Message Icon Topic: Sensex@2010 – Thoughts and Strategies Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
us121

Online Status: Offline
Quote us121 Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:02pm
i could not stop my self from posting following from one up the wall street of peter lynch.

It provokes lots of caution and last point still leaves the ray of hope.

From ‘Introduction to the Millennium Edition’

of ONE UP THE WALL STREET by Peter Lynch

• In the doldrums of the early 1970s, when I first took the helm at Magellan, at that low point, demoralized investors had to   remind themselves that bear market don’t last forever. Today it is worth reminding ourselves that bull market doesn’t last forever and that patience is required in both directions.

• What Mr. Market pays for a stock today or next week doesn’t tell you which company has the best chance to succeed two to three years down. I subscribe to the crusty notion that sooner or later earnings make or break an investment in equities. What the stock price does today, tomorrow or next week is only a distraction.

• Never invest in any company before you have done the homework on the company’s earnings prospects, financial condition, competitive position, plans for expansion and so forth.

• In my experience, six out of ten winners in a portfolio can produce a satisfying result. All you need for a lifetime of successful investing is a few big winners, and the pluses from those will overwhelm the minuses from the stocks that don’t work out.

• Speaking on long-term gains, in eleven years’ worth of luncheon and diner speeches, I’ve asked for a show of hands: “How many of you are long-tem investors in stocks?” To date, the vote is unanimous- everybody’s a long-term investor, including day traders in the audience who took a couple of hours off.

• People are advised to think long-term, but the constant comment on every gyration puts people on edge and keeps them focused on the short term. It is a challenge not to act on it.

• It is foolish to bet we have seen the last of the bears, which is why it is important not to buy stocks or stock mutual funds with money you will need to spend in the next twelve months to pay college bills, wedding bills, or whatever. You don’t want to be forced to sell in a losing market to raise cash. When you’re a long-term investor time is on your side.

• Stocks are not lottery tickets. There’s a company attached to every share.

• My advice for the next decade: keep on the lookout for a tomorrow’s big baggers. You’re likely to find one.

Edited by us121 - 07/Oct/2007 at 8:23pm
ABILITY will get u at d top. CHARACTER will retain u at d top
IP IP Logged
catcall

Quote catcall Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:08pm
Excellent post US121!!
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:18pm
  I expected a mixed thought and it helps me in articulating my views

That's the idea. What's the point in saying "Hey man, you are the best". Whenever I interact with an individual who is more knowledgeable than I am, I always question, pick holes and contradict. Have been doing this from my school days. Only then the flow of thoughts from the expert will be clearer.

1) There will be one JaiCorp and one Unitech every year since there are 6000 listed stocks n BSE. But how many have benefitted from such stocks - financially.

But some investors have benefitted, haven't they? No reason to assume that it cannot be you and me, when the next big sector/stock goes 'boom'. Especially since we have the power of collective knowledge, criticisms and viewpoints of all the TED members.

And yes, when I say multi-baggers, I really do mean 'multi-baggers'. In this market, doublers and triplers happen in 15 - 30 days.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:22pm
Unfortunately the market does not care about anyone whether he got in in 2001 or 2003 or 2007 or is just getting ready for his first punch tomorrow morning. People who did not get in in 2003 were wrong or maybe too young but unfortunately the clock does not turn backwards. We have to see forward.
TRUE!!! Time can't be turned around

Finally these thoughts are mine because I intend to be in stocks for more then 100% of my money (including leverage) whether the index is at 40k or back to 10k.

Good to hear that as usual Basant sir. Also, you didn't mention: 100% of your time in future too or was that implied.

Also these opinions could change tomorrow as and when I see a multibagger with minimum downside and oportunity cost.(free hit). In 2003 there were no opportunity costs because the whole market was in the doldrums. My opportunity cost is the index returns or the return that HDFC bank creates year after year – 30%.

AH-HA!Waiting... 

As usualy great views Basant sir!!!
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by omshivaya

Finally these thoughts are mine because I intend to be in stocks for more then 100% of my money (including leverage) whether the index is at 40k or back to 10k.

Good to hear that as usual Basant sir. Also, you didn't mention: 100% of your time in future too or was that implied.

Like that De Beers Adv, to me "An equity is forever"Big%20smile
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kaushalchawla

Quote kaushalchawla Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:34pm
I second Basantji's Idea of being cautious.....because every body is talking and advising about equities....sensex at 18000 is pulling everybody into the market......is this the end of bull run?? is this the contrarian sell sign?? No day passes when i dont ask myself these questions.
Warm Regards,
Kaushal
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 8:43pm
No need to sell but we need to be realistic in returns. The best in terms of returns is (unfortunately) behind us - That is what i wanted to indicate.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
reetesh

Quote reetesh Replybullet Posted: 07/Oct/2007 at 10:51pm
I believe people will be confused (more or less it does not matter)  by what we are discussin here, thing are vague here, Sir, I believe we just cannot manage or control "GREED" if 3 yrs is the maximum we can see then we should not have started this discussion right now it is to early for that and if people are investin money they should read history b4 doin that if they cannot then "Stocks can be injurious to health". i am very very sure that when this market will peak nobody simply nobody will listen to you(I hope you r gettin what I am saying) because you will look like a fool and idiots will become stock guru(s). We have seen all of this haven`t we? 
When going gets tough, that’s when tough (people) gets going.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version