Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Words of Wisdom
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Words of Wisdom
Message Icon Topic: What happened globally will happen in India! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
tyler_durden

Online Status: Offline
Quote tyler_durden Replybullet Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 9:51pm
basant ji,
          as per you whatever has happened globally will happen here...retail and telecom re examples of that...wats next??

is it logistics? infra? education? water?

regards
kunal
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 10:41pm
Internet is the one to look out for otherwise all other sectors seem on track media, brokerages,financials all seem to be to be there.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
smartcat

Quote smartcat Replybullet Posted: 22/Jun/2007 at 12:52pm

We could also look at some of the old sectors - these are not as exotic as media or internet - but still have a long long way to go. The one such sector that comes to my mind is oil and gas.

India's oil & gas companies are like big frogs in a well. They are big yes, but the size of oil and gas companies of the world is staggering in comparison. Examples -

Exxon Mobil (USA)       - Revenues of $340 billion
British Petroleum (UK) - Revenues of $267 billion
Sinopec (China)           - Revenues of $98 billion
Gazprom (Russia)        - Revenues of $50 billion

While one might argue that, hey, there are big banking companies in developed markets too. Why just look at oil and gas? The reason is - oil and gas industry in India is undergoing a big structural change - they are at an inflection point.

- NELP (National Exploration and Licencing Policy) has resulted in discoveries after discoveries of oil and gas (Rajasthan, KG Basin etc) in just 7 years. Before NELP, there were zero discoveries after Bombay High discovery in 1970s. Companies to watch out for - ONGC, RIL, Videocon Industries and Cairn.

- Some scientists claim that Central India has more oil reserves than Iraq. Unfortunately, the current technology does not allow exploration companies to drill through hard rock of the Deccan Plateau. This might change in the near future. Companies to watch out for - ONGC, RIL and Cairn - in partnership with global oil majors.

- Exxon Mobil didn't become a $400 billion company through E&P within USA. They have their reserves in Mexico, Venezuela, Russia (Sakhalin) etc. Some of the Indian companies like ONGC and Videocon Industries are already following the footsteps by buying oil blocks in Sudan, Indonesia, Russia etc.

- India has a huge appetite for natural gas. It can be used to generate power and also used for domestic purposes like cooking etc. While discoveries in KG Basin directly affect E&P companies like RIL, Cairn, ONGC and Gujarat State Petroleum Co., it will also have a positive impact on gas distribution companies like GAIL. Gail is investing Rs. 25,000 crores in laying pipelines all over India, and they hope to increase their revenues 3 times in the next 4 years.

I haven't covered companies like Petronet LNG, Indraprastha Gas or RNRL - because frankly, I am not quite sure what they do!

I see my next long-term multibagger in good old Reliance Industries. It has gone up 6 times in the last 3 years. I have no reason to believe it won't give similar returns in the future too.

IP IP Logged
kg

Quote kg Replybullet Posted: 16/Oct/2007 at 4:20pm
Was going thru this thread ...dont kno abt the price of the uranium but most of the stocks have already become a three bagger in one year time ! tata power , areva t&d and reliance energy ...
Lets rock
IP IP Logged
Janak.merchant1

Quote Janak.merchant1 Replybullet Posted: 03/Jun/2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by manishdave

Basant,
I don't want to sound pessimistic but I have been watching and investing in Uranium stocks since last 2 years. I saw some posts mentioning low supply of silver/gold etc.

Hi Manish,

Can u tell us how your trade performed in Uranium? And how is it so far in Amazon short position. Do throw party !!

I have not speculated so have never studied commodities.

U have amazing grasp of various fields!

JM

Edited by Janak.merchant1 - 03/Jun/2008 at 2:19pm
I love my money, not my opinion. So i am ready and willing to change my opinion for the sake of protecting my money.
IP IP Logged
experteye

Quote experteye Replybullet Posted: 03/Jun/2008 at 5:27pm

Five countries - the US, China, Japan Germany and India - account for nearly half of the world's GDP as measured by buying power in US dollars, according to a new World Bank report.The new data released shows the world economy produced goods and services worth almost $55 trillion in 2005 and that almost 40 per cent of the world's output came from developing economies.In the new tabulations of GDP, the US remains the largest economy in the world with a world share of 23 per cent, followed by China with 10 per cent, and Japan with seven per cent. Germany comes next with five per cent followed by India in the fifth place with four per cent.

more risk,more profit but have a vision before taking risk,itis all about investment in equities market.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 03/Jun/2008 at 6:57pm
Expert Eye please ensure that your posts are relevant to the topic. I am not sure how this post above (not deleted by me) is relevant to this thread. Similarily there are other threads where you have made some posts which do not gel with the discussion topic.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
manishdave

Quote manishdave Replybullet Posted: 03/Jun/2008 at 10:22pm
Janakbhai,

Amazon is abt 6% up after I shorted and I am fine with that. It happens all the time.

I made some money in Uranium but not as much as I desired. Reason was that largest producer Cameco had hedged U for long term so selling price was already fixed at lower level and even then price was not cheap so I did some trades on declines. But my bigger position was in WMC which had 38% of known global U reserves. But BHP took that over @30% premium.

Currently U is being sold in 90s in long term contracts. But there is still huge gap betn mine production and consumption.

Abt Party!!
Accountant(to boss): Company made profit this year!!
Boss: lets arrange party.
Acct: If we expense that, we will get back into loss.

I found a link that I posted in Dec 2005.

Edited by manishdave - 03/Jun/2008 at 10:35pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version